Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: reboot
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers reboot Post 11789 by guest100 on Wednesday 12th of December 2001 05:08:58 AM
Old 12-12-2001
reboot

Hi all,

Quick question.
Does anyone know what is the compination of buttons that I have to press to stop the start up so I can bring the system in a single user mode?
I use HP Vis 9000

Thanks alot

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

coredump after every reboot

Every time I reboot our solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9 Generic_118558-19 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R) box, I get the messages below: # dmesg | grep dump Mar 24 12:39:55 hostname savecore: initial dump header corrupt Mar 24 12:39:55 hostname genunix: dump on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s1 size 700 MB Mar 24... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xnightcrawl
2 Replies

2. Solaris

different between soft reboot and hard reboot

Hi Guru's Can any want here could explain to me the different between soft reboot and hard reboot . Best Regards Seelan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seelan3
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can I reboot SunBlade150 from CD?

I have a SunBlade 150 sparc machine. I get this box without root password. When I truned on the machine and typed ctrl -D to run under normal mode. The file system couldn't be mounted. If I don't care about current system and files on the machine and want to rebuild this box with solaris 10. Can I... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
13 Replies

4. Solaris

system self reboot

dear all, I have 2 T2000 with solaris 10 and oracle 10g installed on it. these two servers are rebooted by itself. could anyone help me investigate the cause. the message log is attached thanx, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fsmadi
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

Reboot After Panic

Hi all, Does anybody know what kinds of events can prompt the following? I found our test db box had rebooted itself. I'd like to know how I can go about finding our why. Thanks folks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kozmo
1 Replies

6. AIX

update w/o reboot

Hi, The apar instructions is to reboot on the ibm site. Is there's a way to update apar w/o reboot? I think I heard something before that it's possible. Thanks in any idea you will type... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

best way to reboot ?

Hi What is the best way to reboot a Linux computer? i) Press the power switch ii) type 'init 6' as any user, then enter the root password when prompted iii) Pour metal filings in the top of the computer. iv) su to root then type 'init 6' (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two scripts after reboot

I have two scripts: scriptone.sh & scripttwo.sh I need to schedule them to run scriptone.sh then scripttwo.sh after the servers is rebooted ( only first reboot ) OS: AIX 6.1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
4 Replies

9. AIX

Reboot VIO - OK?

We've got two datacenters and in every datacenter 2 VIOs. The VIO manages the I/O of the LPARs. So: Is it possible to reboot the VIO without shuting down an LPAR:wall: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DiViN3
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Server reboot

Hi, The server got rebooted and below messages can be seen in /var/log/messages Sep 7 10:49:12 minersville kernel: Call Trace: <IRQ> <ffffffff80167420>{__alloc_pages+796} Sep 7 10:49:12 minersville kernel: <ffffffff80182814>{kmem_getpages+106} <ffffffff80183c16>{fallback_alloc+304}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
3 Replies
reboot(1M)																reboot(1M)

NAME
reboot - reboot the system SYNOPSIS
time] message] time] message] DESCRIPTION
The command terminates all currently executing processes except those essential to the system, then reboots the system, or halts, or makes the partition ready for reconfiguration. When invoked without arguments, syncs all disks before rebooting the system. Options The command recognizes the following options: Shut down the system and halt. Shut down the system and reboot automatically (default). Shut down the system to a ready-to-reconfigure state and reboot if possible. If the partition is unable to reboot, it will stop at a ready-to-reconfigure state. However, if the option is also specified, the system will always stop at ready-to-reconfigure state. This option is available only on systems that support hardware partitions. Shut down the system to a ready-to-reconfigure state and do not reboot. This option can be used only in combination with the option. This option is available only on systems that support hardware partitions. Do not sync the file systems before shutdown. The and options are ignored with this option. Sync the file systems before shutdown; for file systems that were cleanly mounted, modify the flag from to (default). Quick and quiet. Suppress broadcast of warning messages, terminate processes by brute force (with and immediately call with arguments as indicated by the other options (see reboot(2)). No logging is performed. The and options are ignored with this option. Specify what time will bring the system down. time can be the word (indicating immediate shutdown) or a future time in one of two for- mats: and The first form brings the system down in number minutes; the second brings the system down at the time of day indicated (based on a 24-hour clock). Display message at the terminals of all users on the system at decreasing intervals as reboot time approaches. The message must not contain any embedded double quotes. At shutdown time a message is written in the file (if it exists), containing the time of shutdown, who ran and the reason. Only users with appropriate privileges can execute the command. WARNINGS
does not invoke the shutdown scripts associated with subsystems to bring them down in a cautious manner. See shutdown(1M). If the option is used in a virtual partition environment on a partitionable system, then the requested reconfiguration will not take place until all the virtual partitions on that hard partition are shut down and the virtual partition monitor is rebooted. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
Shutdown log SEE ALSO
vpartition(1), reboot(2), partition(5). reboot(1M)