Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I neede help!!!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I neede help!!! Post 10887 by Treuenfels on Friday 23rd of November 2001 02:47:21 AM
Old 11-23-2001
Hello guys,

you are all nice people, because you tried to help me... I would thanks a lot for this!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rado1x
You have to use [IMHO] "boot" command. But which ARGSto use, I don't know.

Probably it is written in the hardware documentation to server not Ultrix documentation ...
Oehm... sorry, wat do you mean with [IMHO]...?

There is no hardware dokumentation and no software handbooks aviable! Thats why I'm so depressed...

Hm...

I have tried out to change the password, and I'm probably sure that it was sucsessfull...

The aktuall situation is:
when i turn on the PC, he boots? and he view this:

R>

(no commands will be aviable.. also "?" is not in function)

when i enter "passwd" he will show
passwd:

when I enter then the password i have given him, this will come...

>>

Question: Is this the single-User mode?

Sorry, that I'm so bad in Unix and english, but I'm very happy to find this forum with so nice people who try to help me

Thanks,,,

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to find one command from multiple files and need to print that file which contains neede com

Hi all i need your help .. I am having a multiple file in directory and i have find out the Rcopy word from these files and need to print those files which contains the Rcopy word Thanks and regards Vijay sahu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijays3
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Figure out the minimum os version neede to run executable or link library.

Hello, I need to figure out the minimum OS version needed to run some executable. For the following OS: Linux, AIX, Solaris. For example how do I know the minimum OS version for /bin/ls ? "file" command does not give me much information. There are some tools that are helpful for understanding... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: +Yan
4 Replies
mkpasswd(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       mkpasswd(8)

NAME
mkpasswd - Creates a version of the basic user database organized for efficient searches SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mkpasswd [-v] [-s size] passwdfile DESCRIPTION
The mkpasswd command creates an auxiliary version of the basic user database in a form organized for efficient searches by the getpwuid subroutine and the getpwnam subroutine. The mkpasswd command reads the user attributes in the /etc/passwd file and creates a hashed pass- word database in the /etc/passwd.dir and /etc/passwd.pag files (see ndbm(3) reference page). If you specify a file other than /etc/passwd, the command reads the user attributes in that file and creates a hashed password database in the passwdfile.dir and passwdfile.pag files. It is important to know that the password file you designate must be in password file format (see the passwd(4) reference page). Note that if you use the vipw command to edit a password file, you do not need to use the mkpasswd command. This is because the vipw com- mand automatically invokes the mkpasswd command which in turn creates the /etc/passwd.dir and /etc/passwd.pag files. Only the root user should have execute access to the mkpasswd command. Files accessed: File /etc/passwd /etc/passwd.pag /etc/passwd.dir passwdfile passwdfile.pag passwdfile.dir The mkpasswd command may fail with a errno value of EFBIG if the password file is large (30,000 entries or more). This failure can be avoided by using the -s option to set a larger page block size for the hashed database. FLAGS
Specifies that each stored entry be listed on standard output Specifies the page block size to use in creating the hashed password data- base. The size argument is a value from 1 to 32, representing page block sizes from 1024 to 32768, respectively. The default page block size is 1024. EXAMPLES
If you have not used vipw to edit the /etc/passwd and wish to generate a hashed password database, enter the following: /usr/sbin/mkpasswd -v /etc/passwd An auxiliary version of the basic user database (/etc/passwd.dir and /etc/passwd.pag files) is created with a hashing algo- rithm. To create a hashed password database with a page block size of 8192, enter the following: /usr/sbin/makepasswd -s 8 /etc/passwd SECURITY NOTE
If enhanced security is running on your system, the passwords are stored in the extended attributes database. See the Security guide for more information about passwords in the enhanced security environment. RETURN VALUES
The mkpasswd command exits with a nonzero exit code if any errors are detected. ERRORS
If the mkpasswd request is not successful, the following error message is displayed: The passwdfile.dir and passwdfile.pag files already exist from a previous execution of the same mkpasswd command. FILES
Specifies the command path RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: adduser(8), passwd(1), passwd(4), vipw(8) Functions: getpwent(3), ndbm(3) Manuals: Security delim off mkpasswd(8)