Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Memory/virtual space
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Memory/virtual space Post 10864 by degwright on Thursday 22nd of November 2001 07:56:51 AM
Old 11-22-2001
Data Further information

Perderabo,
Thanks for the information you have provided so far, but I have to take this further.
I have pasted something below which appears to contradict everything to date.
If I run the first system env variable script specified (qac441_nh90) - which does nothing more than create sys variables to support an off the shelf application (QAC). Before execution I get what I want, after running I don't. These happens every time and "would appear" to relate to an 'available space' problem.
The current 'work around' to this is for me to run the 'ls' command in directory where the files are located (i.e. I can't use my system variable name). This works a treat for now, but as projects and the number of modules per project get larger, I am sure I will start hitting the 'unknown' ceiling again. I have to assume from the evidence to date that the sys vars are taking up space which prevents the 'ls' command from working correctly.

David

;; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for Lisp evaluation.
;; If you want to create a file, first visit that file with C-x C-f,
;; then enter the text in that file's own buffer.

wright@w9054$ ls *n* | wc
1088 1088 15414
1088 1088 15414
1088 1088 15414
wright@w9054$ . /home/w9061disk/wright/qac441_nh90
wright@w9054$ . /home/w9061disk/wright/utils/verification.profile
/usr/bin/ksh: /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long
0 0 0
wright@w9054$

Thanks for help so far

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

virtual memory

Hi, can anyone explain me what virtual memory is ( for which we use vmstat commande line ) comparing with RAM ? many thanks before. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

2. Programming

about virtual memory and memory leak

Hi, First of all I appreciate this group very much for its informative discussions and posts. Here is my question. I have one process whose virtual memory size increases linearly from 6MB to 12MB in 20 minutes. Does that mean my process has memory leaks? In what cases does the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
4 Replies

3. Programming

how allocate virtual memory

Hi Folks can any body suggest how to allocate virtual memory any function for that (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: munnu
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Virtual Memory

Hi! I work with HP-UX and I have to monitorize the use of virtual memory for different processes. (java processes for Tibco Adapter) And if these processes exceed a limit send a message to the syslog. I donīt know how to monitorize this... Should I do a script? or use an aplication, for example... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kurohana
3 Replies

5. AIX

ulimits max locked memory virtual memory

Hi, Would any one be so kind to explain me : are ulimits defined for each user seperately ? When ? Specialy what is the impact of : max locked memory and virtual memory on performance of applications for a user. Many thanks. PS : this is what I can see in MAN : ulimit ] ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpu, memory and virtual memory usage

Hi All, Does anyone know what the best commands in the UNIX command line are for obtaining this info: current CPU usage memory usage virtual memory usage preferably with date and time parameters too? thanks ocelot (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virtual Memory

Hi, Can anyone please help me workout how much virtual memory I have running on a T2000 running Solaris 10. Thanks # df -h swap 3.5G 1.0M 3.5G 1% /etc/svc/volatile swap 3.5G 208K 3.5G 1% /tmp swap 3.5G 56K ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Virtual file or memory?

Hi Experts I encountered a situation recently. I wanted to discuss here and understand the reason behind this. My scenario is something like this: yes > temp & The above command keeps writing the output to the file temp. And this file keeps growing every second. And in the every... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruprasadpr
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Virtual Memory explanation

Hi All, Please explain me about Virtual Memory. Regards, SKumar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nskumar
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Virtual Memory in UNIX

So, I would ask you a piece of advice about which books or titles could give me comprehensive information about virtual memory in UNIX. Especially, I would found out that virtual address translation corresponds structures of kernel! Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fadedfate
2 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - Shell, the standard command language interpreter DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Tru64 UNIX provides two command interpreters with the name sh. The XCU5.0 and POSIX.2 compliant command interpreter sh is available in the file /usr/bin/posix/sh and is described in the sh(1p) reference page. The Bourne shell, historically known as sh, is available in the file /usr/bin/sh and is described in the sh(1b) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] Your initial, or login, shell is determined by your entry in the file /etc/passwd. This file can be changed only by your sys- tem administrator. You must use whatever procedures are in place at your location to have this entry changed. [Tru64 UNIX] If available on your system, you may use the passwd -s or the chsh commands to change your login shell. Note This option is not available if your site manages passwords through the Network Information Service (NIS) facility. Check with your system administrator. [Tru64 UNIX] Subsequent shells spawned from the initial shell depend on the value in the environment variable BIN_SH. If this variable is set to xpg4, the POSIX shell is started. If this variable is set to svr4, an SVR4 compliant version of the shell is started. If this vari- able is unset, the Bourne shell is started. If this variable is set to any other value, an error is reported and the results are unpre- dictable. See the EXAMPLES section for information on setting this variable. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] With Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0 the Korn shell, /usr/bin/ksh is the same as the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The file /etc/shells must include entries for both the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh and the Bourne shell, /usr/bin/sh. If this file is incorrect, see your system administrator. EXAMPLES
Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/ XCU5.0compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=xpg4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=svr4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unset BIN_SH Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/XCU5.0 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH xpg4 Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH svr4 Using the C/ shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unsetenv BIN_SH FILES
User profile. Contains user information, including the login shell name. Contains the names of available and permitted shells. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), passwd(1) Files: passwd(4), shells(4) Standards: standards(5) sh(1)