Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Executing Ps in script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Executing Ps in script Post 10843 by Claude on Wednesday 21st of November 2001 10:16:44 PM
Old 11-21-2001
Executing Ps in script

Im Sorry to bother you guys butim totally new to Unix, so pls help me out if you can. This could be a silly question.

I wanna run the command "ps" in script, but how should I be able to do so? Actually I have made a menu for the user to choose from...for example

1. Show all processes
2. Kill process
N. XXX

I want to get it done when the user chooses option one and it will show him the processes currently running.

Thx!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script not executing

test:/oracle/home $ ex_im1.sh ksh: exp_imp1.sh: not found $echo $SHELL /bin/ksh ex_im1.sh has rwxr--r-- permissions thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing script

Hello ; I have a script myscript.sh. If I type at prompt myscript.sh I will receive ksh: myscript.sh: not found but if I type ./myscript.sh it works . What should I do to be able to run myscript just typing myscript.sh Many thanks before. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script not executing

Hi , Kindly advice whats wrong with this script. It is not executing. ...# #!/bin/ksh find. -name "b.log" if ; then echo "1" fi ...# Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: himvat
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Executing a shell script from windows;script present in unix

I need to execute a shell script kept in unix machine from windows. User id, password area available. For eg. There's a shell script wich moves all the logs kept in my home directory to a directory named LOGS. Now i need to get this done through windows; either using a batch file, or java... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajneesh_kapoor
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables of executed script available in executing script

Hi, I have a script get_DB_var.ksh which do a data base call and get some variables as below: sqlplus -silent $user/$pass@dbname <<END select col1, col2, col3 from table_name where col4=$1; exit; END Now I want to access all these variables i.e.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with executing script

Dear All, I have a script on my USB and I want to execute it on set of files when I connect via ssh on the server ... I'm not able to define the path of the script located in the USB ... how can I use this script without copying/moving it into the directory I'm working on in the ssh mode ....... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing one script from other

Script test #! /bin/csh -f echo checking the sset command if( -e /home/user/project/runtest/testdir/ts ) then echo ts script present set cmd = "/home/user/project/runtest/testdir/ts a 1 b 2 c 3" else echo script not present endif echo $cmd echo done script ts #!/bin/csh -f set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: animesharma
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script not executing

Hello, I wasn't sure where to post this so I posted it here. I've used UNIX quite a bit, LINUX not so much. For some reason, my LINUX script will not execute if I type in the script name and press enter. I'm in the directory where the script is. test.sh However, when I use ". ./" it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsanders
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script dosent exits after executing the script

Hi i wrote a script which dosent exists after executing any help #!/bin/bash netstat -ptlen | grep 10000 if ; then echo "Hive Thrift server is running" exit 0 else echo "Hive Thrift server is down Trying to Bring up the service" | mail -s "ALERT" team@domain.com `nohup hive... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Oracle script from UNIX Script

Hi, I am new to UNIX and want to execute oracle script from unix script. I have written below script but i am getting below error. #!/bin/bash file="/home/usr/control/control_file1" while read line do #$line=@$line #echo $line sqlplus tiger/scott@DB @$line exit #echo "$line" done... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipin kumar rai
3 Replies
PSTREE(1)							   User Commands							 PSTREE(1)

NAME
pstree - display a tree of processes SYNOPSIS
pstree [-a, --arguments] [-c, --compact] [-h, --highlight-all, -Hpid, --highlight-pid pid] [-g] --show-pgids] [-l, --long] [-n, --numeric-sort] [-N, --ns-sortns [-p, --show-pids] [-s, --show-parents] [-S, --ns-changes] [-t, --thread-names] [-T, --hide-threads] [-u, --uid-changes] [-Z, --security-context] [-A, --ascii, -G, --vt100, -U, --unicode] [pid, user] pstree -V, --version DESCRIPTION
pstree shows running processes as a tree. The tree is rooted at either pid or init if pid is omitted. If a user name is specified, all process trees rooted at processes owned by that user are shown. pstree visually merges identical branches by putting them in square brackets and prefixing them with the repetition count, e.g. init-+-getty |-getty |-getty `-getty becomes init---4*[getty] Child threads of a process are found under the parent process and are shown with the process name in curly braces, e.g. icecast2---13*[{icecast2}] If pstree is called as pstree.x11 then it will prompt the user at the end of the line to press return and will not return until that has happened. This is useful for when pstree is run in a xterminal. Certain kernel or mount parameters, such as the hidepid option for procfs, will hide information for some processes. In these situations pstree will attempt to build the tree without this information, showing process names as question marks. OPTIONS
-a Show command line arguments. If the command line of a process is swapped out, that process is shown in parentheses. -a implicitly disables compaction for processes but not threads. -A Use ASCII characters to draw the tree. -c Disable compaction of identical subtrees. By default, subtrees are compacted whenever possible. -G Use VT100 line drawing characters. -h Highlight the current process and its ancestors. This is a no-op if the terminal doesn't support highlighting or if neither the current process nor any of its ancestors are in the subtree being shown. -H Like -h, but highlight the specified process instead. Unlike with -h, pstree fails when using -H if highlighting is not available. -g Show PGIDs. Process Group IDs are shown as decimal numbers in parentheses after each process name. -g implicitly disables com- paction. If both PIDs and PGIDs are displayed then PIDs are shown first. -l Display long lines. By default, lines are truncated to either the COLUMNS environment variable or the display width. If neither of these methods work, the default of 132 columns is used. -n Sort processes with the same ancestor by PID instead of by name. (Numeric sort.) -N Show individual trees for each namespace of the type specified. The available types are: ipc, mnt, net, pid, user, uts. Regular users don't have access to other users' processes information, so the output will be limited. -p Show PIDs. PIDs are shown as decimal numbers in parentheses after each process name. -p implicitly disables compaction. -s Show parent processes of the specified process. -S Show namespaces transitions. Like -N, the output is limited when running as a regular user. -t Show full names for threads when available. -T Hide threads and only show processes. -u Show uid transitions. Whenever the uid of a process differs from the uid of its parent, the new uid is shown in parentheses after the process name. -U Use UTF-8 (Unicode) line drawing characters. Under Linux 1.1-54 and above, UTF-8 mode is entered on the console with echo -e ' 33%8' and left with echo -e ' 33%@' -V Display version information. -Z (SELinux) Show security context for each process. This flag will only work if pstree is compiled with SELinux support. FILES
/proc location of the proc file system BUGS
Some character sets may be incompatible with the VT100 characters. SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1). psmisc 2016-06-18 PSTREE(1)