Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Floppy mounting
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Floppy mounting Post 10473 by shimb0 on Wednesday 14th of November 2001 06:40:13 PM
Old 11-14-2001
look in /etc/vfstab (to see if your floppy is listed in there)

the command will probably look something like this

mount -t (fstype) /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

man mount

Shimb0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying to a floppy

how do i copy a file from solaris to a floppy drive. today is my first day using solaris (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: parksr
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

boot floppy

hello , i have sun sparc machine with sunos2.7 , the machine has a cdrom but no floppy drive , it is networked with windows machine , from where i can use ftp and telnet. can i use floppy drive of windows machine and create a boot image(of unix) on that drive, using ftp? thanx raju (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

opening floppy

I have solaris 8 (Intel Version) and I was wondering how I can transfer a bunch of text files (shellscripts) via floppy. I don't have internet connectivity with my Solaris pc so I can't download the files. I have the text files on my windows 2000 pc and copied them to a floppy but when I try to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

floppy

i manage to screw up alittle i entered in /etc/fstab mount /dev/fd0 msdos /mnt/floppy 2 2 or something and now when i boot i get an error like this The following file systems had an unexpected inconsistency: msdos: /dev/fd0 (/mnt/floppy) Unknown error; Help! init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekizz
3 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

reformatting a floppy!

i am trying to reformat a floppy i am using solaris 9 when i run this: rmformat -F quick /vol/dev/aliases/floppy0 it tells me that it cannot perform the operation on a mounted device. how do i unmount the device and format the floppy? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rmuhammad
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting a Floppy on System V

Hi, i want to mount a floppy disk device on a System V/68 Release R3V6 system because i want to copy some files from this Unix computer to a Win-98 based computer. I have logged in as "root" and used command line: mount /dev/f0ps2 /floppy (the "floppy folder" on the computer i'm working on is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xtremexp
1 Replies

7. Solaris

mounting floppy on x86 - help

hello from newbie :) i have a question : i've just installed sol-10 on x86 - and i cant access my floppy/cdrom. the device naming totally different from those in bsd or linux - where it was much more difficult to understand :( the mntab/vfstab - i know where it was pointing at - but from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rossonieri#1
2 Replies

8. SCO

mounting USB floppy drive /Flash drive in OSR 6.0

Can anybody help me out to mount USB flash /floppy drive in sco openserver 6.0 . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshdrajan
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regarding floppy

Regarding floppy drive .. I need a command or a method by which i can detect a floppy drive is present or not ? Thanks, Priya. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyam
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting a floppy disk in System V

Hello all! I just recently inherited a mid-90s gateway full tower system (Original Pentium, SIMM style RAM, etc.). I had always wanted to try an old version of UNIX, and having come across a copy of AT&T System V R4 decided that the time was ripe. There were 30 disks total, and after booting to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Northcott
1 Replies
volrmmount(1)							   User Commands						     volrmmount(1)

NAME
volrmmount - call rmmount to mount or unmount media SYNOPSIS
volrmmount [-i | -e] [name | nickname] volrmmount [-d] DESCRIPTION
The volrmmount utility calls rmmount(1M) to, in effect, simulate an insertion (-i) or an ejection (-e). Simulating an insertion often means that rmmount will mount the media. Conversely, simulating an ejection often means that rmmount will unmount the media. However, these actions can vary depending on the rmmount configuration and media type (see rmmount.conf(4)). For example, if you use the default /etc/rmmount.conf and insert a music CD, it will not be mounted. However, you can configure rmmount so that it calls workman whenever a music CD is inserted. This command allows you to override Volume Management's usual handling of media (see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -i Simulates an insertion of the specified media by calling rmmount. -e Simulates an ejection of the specified media by calling rmmount. -d Displays the name of the default device for volrmmount to handle. This device is used if no name or nickname is supplied. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: name The name that Volume Management recognizes as the device's name. See volfs(7FS). nickname A shortened version of the device's name. Following is the list of recognized nicknames: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | Nickname | Path | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |fd |/dev/rdiskette | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |fd0 |/dev/rdiskette | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |fd1 |/dev/rdiskette1 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |diskette |/dev/rdiskette | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |diskette0 |/dev/rdiskette0 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |diskette1 |/dev/rdiskette1 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |rdiskette |/dev/rdiskette | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |rdiskette0 |/dev/rdiskette0 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |rdiskette1 |/dev/rdiskette1 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |floppy |/dev/rdiskette | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |floppy0 |/dev/rdiskette0 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |floppy1 |/dev/rdiskette1 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |cdrom0 |/vol/dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ/label | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |zip0 |/vol/dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ/label | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |jaz0 |/vol/dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ/label | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |rmdisk0 |/vol/dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ/label | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using the volrmmount command When Volume Management finds a floppy that contains a filesystem, it calls rmmount to mount it. If you wish to run tar(1) or cpio(1) on that floppy, it must first be unmounted. To unmount the floppy use: example% volrmmount -e floppy0 After volrmmount unmounts the floppy, if you wish to re-mount it (rather than ejecting it and reinserting it) use: example% volrmmount -i floppy0 Notice that if you are using a named floppy, you can use its name in place of floppy0. FILES
/dev/volctl Volume Management control port ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWvolu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cpio(1), eject(1), tar(1), rmmount(1M), vold(1M), rmmount.conf(4), attributes(5), volfs(7FS) NOTES
Volume Management (vold) must be running to use this command. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2000 volrmmount(1)