Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bouncing Unix Servers
Operating Systems HP-UX Bouncing Unix Servers Post 101950 by rhfrommn on Tuesday 14th of March 2006 12:26:23 PM
Old 03-14-2006
Where I work now we have a scheduled monthly maintenance window. On a particular Saturday we get to do whatever we need to the boxes. Everybody that uses the systems knows this and nobody works that Saturday.

Our policy is any system which hasn't been rebooted for 90 days is rebooted. Oracle servers and some Veritas Cluster Server clusters are rebooted each month instead. There are a few production boxes exempted from the policy because they support manufacturing plants which have shifts working on Saturdays.

As for the reason why - it is basically just for cleanup purposes. Stale NFS handles, zombie processes, small memory leaks from applications, etc. are all cleaned up by the reboot. Also it is a way of testing to make sure everything runs smoothly with the startup and shutdown scripts so we don't find problems with them when there is an unscheduled reboot.

I've worked other places that never rebooted machines unless it was for a specific purpose - hardware upgrades/repairs, software installs which require it, etc. It all depends on the environment and what the system admins prefer whether a scheduled reboot is appropriate or not.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Is ncftp possible between two SCO Unix servers?

Hi. Can entire data be taken thr' ncftp from one SCO Unix server to another? Please let me know. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hrishi10a
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search Files In Unix Servers

hi all! I am VB developer and i am trying to automate a process in UNIX for which i request your help. I want to learn the technique by which we can write batch process in unix server to search for a list of files and to note down files that are missing from the list in the form of a log so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varsai123
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

re-associating 2 HP UNIX servers

Hello, i am new to both this forum and UNIX as well; i am working at a local cancer center trying to reassociate 2 UNIX server systems that i am unfamiliar with; Both C3600 workstations were associated, however they were disassociated and need to be reassociated so programs can be accessed on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RarisRSX
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MOnitoring Software for Unix servers

Guys, I need a monitoring software for my Unix servers. Over the last couple of years, the number has increased to well over 40 servers. All have different applications running on them and it is impossible to go to everyone of them and do checks. I was using Spotlight on Unix. I was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jair
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP between two UNIX servers

Hi I have server A and server B. On server B the directory is called /tmp/hmp On server A I want to get the files on server B:/tmp/hmp via FTP. After I have got the files via FTP I have to delete them. In the script below I'm affraid of that I delete files before I get them by ftp. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hpedersen4
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix servers

hi, anyone please explain ab the unix servers thanks in advance Satya (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing directories on different unix servers

Is it possible to use the diff command to compare two directories on different Unix (AIX) servers? We have two regions set up and we want to be able to compare if the scripts directory in both regions contain the same files? I want to figure out if its possible.. Have been messing around by... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Record count in Unix servers

Hi All, when i ftp the file from windows machine to unix server the record count in the file is decreased by 1. example: Say a text file has three lines in it and when you place this file in unix server from your local machine and run a below command cat filename | wc -l the output is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Umeshrm
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Servers Syncronization Software

:wall: Does anyone know of a good Unix Server Syncronization Softwarware, I have a customer that has a primary server but he wants to get another one as a backup and he wants to syncronize all the disks on a daily or weekly bases to have it ready in case the primary fails. Your help would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reb
2 Replies
REBOOT(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 REBOOT(8)

NAME
reboot - stopping and restarting the system SYNOPSIS
/sbin/reboot [ -lqnhdarsfRD ] /sbin/halt [ -lqndars ] /sbin/fastboot [ -lqndarsRD ] DESCRIPTION
2.11BSD is started by placing it in memory at location zero and transferring to its entry point. Since the system is not reentrant, it is necessary to read it in from disk or tape each time it is to be boot strapped. Rebooting a running system: When the system is running and a reboot is desired, shutdown(8) is normally used to stop time sharing and put the system into single user mode. If there are no users then /sbin/reboot can be used without shutting the system down first. Reboot normally causes the disks to be synced and allows the system to perform other shutdown activities such as resynchronizing hardware time-of-day clocks. A multi-user reboot (as described below) is then initiated. This causes a system to be booted and an automatic disk check to be performed. If all this succeeds without incident, the system is then brought up for multi-user operation. Options to reboot are: -l Don't try to tell syslogd(8) what's about to happen. -q Reboot quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first. -n Don't sync before rebooting. This can be used if a disk or the processor is on fire. -h Don't reboot, simply halt the processor. -d Dump memory onto the dump device, usually part of swap, before rebooting. The dump is done in the same way as after a panic. -a Have the system booter ask for the name of the system to be booted, rather than immediately booting the default system (/unix). -r Mount the root file system as read only when the system reboots. This is not supported by the kernel in 2.11BSD. -s Don't enter multi-user mode after system has rebooted - stay in single user mode. -f Fast reboot. Omit the automatic file system consistency check when the system reboots and goes multi-user. This is accomplished by passing a fast reboot flag on to the rebooting kernel. This currently prevents the use of -f flag in conjunction with the -h (halt) flag. -D Set the autoconfig(8) debug flag. This is normally not used unless one is debugging the autoconfig program. -R Tells the kernel to use the compiled in root device. Normally the system uses the device from which it was booted as the root/swap/pipe/dump device. Reboot normally places a shutdown record in the login accounting file /usr/adm/wtmp. This is inhibited if the -q or -n options are present. Note that the -f (fast reboot) and -n (don't sync) options are contradictory; the request for a fast reboot is ignored in this case. Halt and fastboot are synonymous with ``reboot -h'' and ``reboot -f'', respectively. Power fail and crash recovery: Normally, the system will reboot itself at power-up or after crashes if the contents of low memory are intact. An automatic consistency check of the file systems will be performed, and unless this fails, the system will resume multi-user operations. SEE ALSO
autoconfig(8), sync(2), utmp(8), shutdown(8), syslogd(8) 3rd Berkeley Distribution May 24, 1996 REBOOT(8)