Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: raid 5 using solaris 9 LVM
Operating Systems Solaris raid 5 using solaris 9 LVM Post 101251 by pressy on Monday 6th of March 2006 06:59:56 PM
Old 03-06-2006
Error

well, it would work, but the performance would be very very slow.... why don't you create one raid5 and make softpartitions on it?

e.g.:

# metainit d0 -r c0t1d0s0 c0t2d0s0 c0t3d0s0
# metainit d1 -p d0 1024m
# metainit d<number> -p <base-partition> <size>

see man metainit for more details

regards PRESSY

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

RAID in Solaris 9

All, Is there a way to RAID the disks in Solaris 9? Solaris 8 provided DiskSuite for mirroring disk drives. Is there a GUI for DiskSuite in Solaris 9? Thanks, Mike (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

2. Solaris

RAID 1 + 0 with LVM

Hi, I am on Solaris 9. I have 4 disks that I want to mount in RAID 1+0 with LVM First I initialize the devices ; for example : metainit d102 c1t2d0s6 metainit d103 c1t3d0s6 metainit d104 c1t4d0s6 metainit d105 c1t5d0s6 then I make the mirrors : metainit d120 -m d102 metattach d120... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aribault
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Is there a tutorial on how to create RAID 1 on top of lvm?

Hi, there are tons of RAID1 tutorials, but none of them deal with lvm. The problem is that I want to expand my current lvm partition over RAID1 rather than creating a new lvm partition after RAID1 is created. My master harddrive has lvm partition. I'm wondering how to create a RAID1 image of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onthetopo
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Raid config on Jumpstart (Solaris 10

Hi there, I was wondering if it is possible to include a RAID configuration in my Solaris 10 Jumpstart files, so that I don't have to manually set up RAID on all my machines. Thanks P.S. I started messing around with Solaris only a week back, so if I sound like a complete idiot, you know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iman453
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partition management: lvm? fdisk? parted? (on RAID)

Hello, I have a RHEL system with two 500GB hard drives in RAID 1 (I think hardware, but not 100% certain - any way to tell?). It looks like it was just set up in default configuration with a small boot partition and one huge partition for the rest, which composes a LVM volume. I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: builder88
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris LVM Raid 0+1

Hi, I tried to setup a Riad 0+1 but I found no step by step manual to follow so I tried on my own ;) I'd already configured a mirror for the OS on my Solaris machines so I had an idea where to start. I have 9 drives in the server. 1. I configured the first two as a mirror for the OS. 2. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RoiDanton
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris not recognizing RAID 5 disks

I've just installed Sol 10 Update 9 on a Sun 4140 server and have a RAID 1 configuration (2 136 Gb drives) for the OS and have created a RAID 5 array (6 136 GB) drives. When i log into the system I am unable to see the RAID 5 disks at all. I've tried using the devfsadm command but no luck and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: goose25
9 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris recognize HW Raid ??

Hardware: HP P2000 HP DL380 G7 with Solaris Software: Solaris 10 05/08 I had made a Hardware raid on P2000 and install solaris on G7, The raid card controller is working fine. How can I make the raid works on OS?? "raidclt" is getting nothing :wall::wall: Thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: stanley1024
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID on Solaris Question

Hello folks; I'm trying to install Solaris 10 x86 on SUN X4150 box with 6 disks in it, the question is how can i create a Virtual disk like RAID 0 before i install Solaris. When i boot up i don't see any option to go and create my raid before the installation begin. Thanks in advance for any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
2 Replies

10. Linux

Centos 7.2 Convert single LVM to RAID Mirror Reinstall BootLoader

Hello, I am trying to convert a single-drive Centos 7.2 installation with LVM into a two-disk mdadm mirror with mrrored LVM. I was able to follow the excellent instructions at: http://www.dgoradia.com/creating-a-raid1-mirrored-on-an-existing-centos-on-lvm/and did create a two-disk mirror... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Clovis_Sangrail
1 Replies
mddb.cf(4)							   File Formats 							mddb.cf(4)

NAME
mddb.cf - metadevice state database replica locations SYNOPSIS
/etc/lvm/mddb.cf DESCRIPTION
The /etc/lvm/mddb.cf file is created when the metadb(1M) command is invoked. You should never directly edit this file. The file /etc/lvm/mddb.cf is used by the metainit(1M) command to find the locations of the metadevice state databases replicas. The metadb command creates the file and updates it each time it is run. Similar information is entered in the /kernel/drv/md.conf file. Each metadevice state database replica has a unique entry in the /etc/lvm/mddb.cf file. Each entry contains the driver and minor unit num- bers associated with the block physical device where a replica is stored. Each entry also contains the block number of the master block, which contains a list of all other blocks in the replica. Entries in the /etc/lvm/mddb.cf file are of the form: driver_name minor_t daddr_t checksum where driver_name and minor_t represent the device number of the physical device storing this replica. daddr_t is the disk block address. checksum is used to make certain the entry has not been corrupted. A pound sign (#) introduces a comment. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Sample File The following example shows a mddb.cf file. #metadevice database location file do not hand edit #driver minor_t daddr_t device id checksum sd 152 16 id1,sd@SSEAGATE_JDD288110MC9LH/a -2613 In the example above, the value for daddr_t indicates that the offset from the start of a given partition is 16 disk blocks from the start of that partition. FILES
/etc/lvm/mddb.cf /kernel/drv/md.conf SEE ALSO
mdmonitord(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metahs(1M), metainit(1M), metaoffline(1M), metaonline(1M), metaparam(1M), metarecover(1M), metarename(1M), metareplace(1M), metaroot(1M), metassist(1M), metaset(1M), metastat(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), md.cf(4), md.tab(4), attributes(5), md(7D) Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide SunOS 5.11 8 Aug 2003 mddb.cf(4)