Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: search patterns
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search patterns Post 100191 by rochitsharma on Friday 24th of February 2006 02:08:39 PM
Old 02-24-2006
search patterns

hello,

i have an input file of about 50,00,000 lines. few of its lines are as follows:

<CR:0023498789,TPO-14987084;BO=IC&SUB=ALLP
<CF:0023498789,CB=YES;BIL&NC=NO
<CF:0023498789,CW=NO;NS=NO
<GC:0023498789,CG=YES;TPO&NC=YES

<CR:0024659841,TPO-14484621;BO=NO&BA=OC&SUB=ALLH
<CF:0024659841,CB=YES;NC=NO
<CF:0024659841,CW=YES;NC=NO&NS=YES
<GS:0024659841,CU=1234;
<GL:0024659841,PCU=3462;NS=NO

<CR:0026454521,TPO-14525893;BO=IC&SUB=ALLJ
<GL:0026454521,PCU=75321;NC=NO&NS=NO

there no blank lines in input file.
0023498789 , 0024659841 , 0026454521. these are some needed numbers.
there are about 8,00,000 unique numbers in file. Off which usefull are just 2,50,000. i do not require numbers, whose lines contain 'BIL'. Like the second line.
<CF:0023498789,CB=YES;BIL&NC=NO
since BIL occurs so i do not require any line containing 0023498789.

in my output i require
number#TPO#number_if_BO=IC#number_if_BA=OC#SUB#number_if_CU_exists #number_if_PCU_exists

the output for above lines should be:
0024659841#14484621##0024659841#ALLH#0024659841#0024659841
0026454521#14525893#14525893##ALLJ##0026454521

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

how to search files efficiently using patterns

hi friens, :) if i need to find files with extension .c++,.C++,.cpp,.Cpp,.CPp,.cPP,.CpP,.cpP,.c,.C wat is the pattern for finding them :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunsubbhian
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed search alternately for patterns

hi all, I am trying to do search on a gzip file. The file has <pattern1> Data.. <pattern2> data <pattern1> data <patter2> I want to print each pattern 1 and the corrresponding pattern2. If pattern 2 fails to appear and pattern 1 appears, I do not want to print pattern1 and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baskar123
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search multiple patterns

I have two lists in a file that look like a b b a e f c d f e d c I would like a final list a b c d e f I've tried multiple grep and awk but can't get it to work (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: godzilla07
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing the lines using search patterns

Hi all , i need an help here.!!!! i have a file that contains /etc/passwd files from some servers. i need a script which search for presence of a user in the servers. like if i give 51144 to the script. the should be o/p Please help on this..... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudharson
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for the two patterns and print everything in between

Hi all, I have a file having data: @HWUSI-EAS1727:19:6:1:3674:984:0:1#GTTAATA NTTGGGTTTTCT @HWUSI-EAS1727:19:6:1:3674:984:0:1#GTTA... NTTGGGTTTTCT @HWUSI-EAS1727:19:6:1:3674:984:0:1#.....CT NTTGGGTTTTCT I want to print everything starting from # till line ends. can you please help me how... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pirates.genome
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search Multiple patterns in unix

Hi, I tried to search multiple pattern using awk trans=1234 reason=LN MISMATCH rec=`awk '/$trans/ && /'"$reason"'/' file` whenevr i tried to run on command promt it is executing but when i tried to implment same logic in shell script,it is failing i.e $rec is empty ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ns64110
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search by patterns case

42 network read failed sv1 sv23 sv4 sv11 sv23 sv5 sv 7 48 client hostname could not be found sv21 sv78 sv19 sv22 sv111 sv203 sv5 sv 33 49 client did not start sv1 sv21 54 timed out connecting to client sv2 sv4 sv12 above is my file , I'd like to use a script to list all name... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and count patterns

Hi, I have a text file the contents are like this now i want to search patterns Z , Z etc and count the occurrence of such patterns, after Z value can be any random digits, please help me it is urgent... output like this Z .............>5 Z ............>8 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejithalokkan
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Multiple patterns and display

Hi, I have scenario like below and need to search for multiple patterns Eg: Test Time Started= secs Time Ended = secc Green test Test Time Started= secs Time Ended = secc Green test Output: I need to display the text starting with Test and starting with Time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: weknowd
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for patterns on different lines

im using the following code to search a log for entries on two different lines: awk 'BEGIN{count=0} /'"${firstpattern}"'/,/'"${secondpattern}"'/ { print; if ($0 ~ /'"${thirdpattern}"'/){count++}; } END { print count }' data.txt firstpattern="start error log" secondpattern="i am logging the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, egrep, fgrep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ] ... expression [ file ] ... egrep [ option ] ... [ expression ] [ file ] ... fgrep [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Commands of the grep family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output. Grep patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of ex(1); it uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm. Egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. Fgrep patterns are fixed strings; it is fast and compact. The following options are recognized. -v All lines but those matching are printed. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed (fgrep only). -c Only a count of matching lines is printed. -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -n Each line is preceded by its relative line number in the file. -b Each line is preceded by the block number on which it was found. This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by con- text. -i The case of letters is ignored in making comparisons -- that is, upper and lower case are considered identical. This applies to grep and fgrep only. -s Silent mode. Nothing is printed (except error messages). This is useful for checking the error status. -w The expression is searched for as a word (as if surrounded by `<' and `>', see ex(1).) (grep only) -e expression Same as a simple expression argument, but useful when the expression begins with a -. -f file The regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) is taken from the file. In all cases the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Care should be taken when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and in the expression as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Fgrep searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings. Egrep accepts extended regular expressions. In the following description `character' excludes newline: A followed by a single character other than newline matches that character. The character ^ matches the beginning of a line. The character $ matches the end of a line. A . (period) matches any character. A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character. A string enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string. Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated as in `a-z0-9'. A ] may occur only as the first character of the string. A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken as a range indicator. A regular expression followed by an * (asterisk) matches a sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression. A regular expression followed by a + (plus) matches a sequence of 1 or more matches of the regular expression. A regular expression followed by a ? (question mark) matches a sequence of 0 or 1 matches of the regular expression. Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second. Two regular expressions separated by | or newline match either a match for the first or a match for the second. A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression. The order of precedence of operators at the same parenthesis level is [] then *+? then concatenation then | and newline. Ideally there should be only one grep, but we don't know a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. SEE ALSO
ex(1), sed(1), sh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. BUGS
Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 GREP(1)