Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Lab ^
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Lab ^ Post 302776889 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 7th of March 2013 05:05:44 AM
Old 03-07-2013
Check out the ^ and $ anchors in regular expressions. Also it says "numbers", not "digits" . -w may work but is not a portable grep option.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VMWare Workstation for home lab

I was wondering if anyone has used VMWare Workstation? I wanted to practice and learn Unix in a networking environment and have my own home lab. However room and money prevent me from buying several computers to do so. Any input would help thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedder191
0 Replies

2. Programming

Shell Script Lab

In the following Shell Script can anyone help me? What are the total scripts? What are the total binaries? What are the total files? #!/bin/sh GREP="/bin/grep -q" if ; then if ; then for | in ${I}/* ;do file ${I} | ${GREP} "executable" && echo "${I} is a binary" file ${I} |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rktompsett
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cant complete lab ???

heres the lab i did everything but when i issue the automated lab check. but it gives me this everytime ''you are missing the /home/smichaels/Labs/lab2b/group file, please create it as per step 12 of the lab. once you have corrected this problem, re-run the uli101.023 program'' im... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ink
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help completing lab.

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: ''you are missing the /home/smichaels/Labs/lab2b/group file, please create it as per step 12 of the lab. once... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ink
4 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

shell scripting while loop lab 15 help

hi.. this is shell scripting lab15.sh i dont understand this lab i am at the screen shot part. i was wondering if someone can take a quick look at this lab i have linked the doc below. i dont know where to start i have did the Required Errorlevels Errorlevel # but dont... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beerpong1
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help me with lab im new to bash....

Write a script that copies the file tree (including subdirectories) in your home directory. As the initial directory to take the directory / usr / share / doc, as the destination directory using the directory $ {HOME} / doc. Write a script corresponding to paragraph 1. Additional conditions: a)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elginmulizwa
1 Replies

7. Hardware

Electricity Savings for home lab

So, I have a kindof off the wall question. I've got 10 computers which I inherited from a charter school that closed that I did their admin work for. They're not servers, just workstations with ubuntu server running on them. I had them all up and running at one point... but crimineys the load on my... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtollefson
8 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Processes Lab

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Here are my directions. I am pretty sure I am doing this right, but I just want someone more experienced to look... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagst3r21
4 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

System Admin. Lab

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Create a group id with your last name. Create 2 user IDs using your last name and the numbers 1 and 2. For each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagst3r21
3 Replies

10. Hardware

Lab server organized software

Hello, Do you have any suggestion of any tool (web based preferably) about how to organize a lab environment? Now i save some info in excel sheet (one rack per column) , but i was thinking if any software exists. Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
2 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, egrep, fgrep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ] ... expression [ file ] ... egrep [ option ] ... [ expression ] [ file ] ... fgrep [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Commands of the grep family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output. Grep patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of ex(1); it uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm. Egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. Fgrep patterns are fixed strings; it is fast and compact. The following options are recognized. -v All lines but those matching are printed. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed (fgrep only). -c Only a count of matching lines is printed. -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -n Each line is preceded by its relative line number in the file. -b Each line is preceded by the block number on which it was found. This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by con- text. -i The case of letters is ignored in making comparisons -- that is, upper and lower case are considered identical. This applies to grep and fgrep only. -s Silent mode. Nothing is printed (except error messages). This is useful for checking the error status. -w The expression is searched for as a word (as if surrounded by `<' and `>', see ex(1).) (grep only) -e expression Same as a simple expression argument, but useful when the expression begins with a -. -f file The regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) is taken from the file. In all cases the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Care should be taken when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and in the expression as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Fgrep searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings. Egrep accepts extended regular expressions. In the following description `character' excludes newline: A followed by a single character other than newline matches that character. The character ^ matches the beginning of a line. The character $ matches the end of a line. A . (period) matches any character. A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character. A string enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string. Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated as in `a-z0-9'. A ] may occur only as the first character of the string. A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken as a range indicator. A regular expression followed by an * (asterisk) matches a sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression. A regular expression followed by a + (plus) matches a sequence of 1 or more matches of the regular expression. A regular expression followed by a ? (question mark) matches a sequence of 0 or 1 matches of the regular expression. Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second. Two regular expressions separated by | or newline match either a match for the first or a match for the second. A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression. The order of precedence of operators at the same parenthesis level is [] then *+? then concatenation then | and newline. Ideally there should be only one grep, but we don't know a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. SEE ALSO
ex(1), sed(1), sh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. BUGS
Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 GREP(1)