Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX How to reactivate user with command(no SAM) Post 302142341 by arm_naja on Thursday 25th of October 2007 02:58:09 PM
Old 10-25-2007
Hi Porter,

I try "man usermod" but no option for reactivate user that was disabled.

** reactivate user mean : reactive to user that was disabled from 3 failed login.

Thanks,

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

help on sam

hi, any idea how to get more info on the usage, unix equivalent of sam in hp-ux? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to reactivate expired account in Linux as a root user

I am an administrator of a Red Hat Enterprise Linux system. Now one account expired. I wonder how to reactivate the account. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cy163
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Where are SAM user templates stored?

Hey, new here, so be nice! I'm trying to write a little script to automate the user creation process on one of our boxes. But I would like to be able to use the templates that we have set up in SAM. Is the information in these templates stored in a file somewhere, that I can reference in my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paqman
5 Replies

4. HP-UX

Adding user to a group without SAM

How can I add a user to a specific group without using SAM? I know I can user modprpw -G, but that will overwrite any groups the user is in with the ones I specify. I need to assume that I do not know what groups the user is already in, so I can't put them in the modprpw command. I just need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paqman
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Getting command (command line) from SAM?

Hi I hope this is easy and sorry if I am using the wrong HP terms. I am looking for a way to glean the command line information from a process I run in SAM? In AIX I can just select any options I want for particular process and hit F6 and the command line is shown on the screen for use in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KmJohnson
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

root user command in shell script execute as normal user

Hi All I have written one shell script for GPRS route add is given below named GPRSRouteSet.sh URL="www.google.com" VBURL="10.5.2.211" echo "Setting route for $URL for GPRS" URL_Address=`nslookup $URL|grep Address:|grep -v "#"|awk -F " " '{print $2}'|head -1` echo "Executing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

7. Linux

Reactivate an account

Hello, I had this issue today. One of my co-workers accounts was looked due to inactivity. The passwd -u command didn't work. So I did what I posted below. I don't think this the proper way to do this. What is the right to reactivate an account in Linux? After I changed the inactivity to never he... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitlord
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Display SAM user list at the command line

Hello, I've been doing Linux and AIX administration for years, but I'm very new to HPUX. We have an old audit process which involves someone manually using sam to generate user lists. I'd like to kill that old process with fire... But... After working a bit in the morning to try and pull... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Celt1977
3 Replies
USERMOD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							USERMOD(8)

NAME
usermod - Modify a user account SYNOPSIS
usermod [-c comment] [-d home_dir [-m]] [-e expire_date] [-f inactive_time] [-g initial_group] [-G group [,...]] [-l login_name] [-p passwd] [-s shell] [-u uid [-o]] [-L|-U] login DESCRIPTION
The usermod command modifies the system account files to reflect the changes that are specified on the command line. The options which apply to the usermod command are: -c comment The new value of the user's password file comment field. It is normally modified using the chfn(1) utility. -d home_dir The user's new login directory. If the -m option is given the contents of the current home directory will be moved to the new home directory, which is created if it does not already exist. -e expire_date The date on which the user account will be disabled. The date is specified in the format YYYY-MM-DD. -f inactive_days The number of days after a password expires until the account is permanently disabled. A value of 0 disables the account as soon as the password has expired, and a value of -1 disables the feature. The default value is -1. -g initial_group The group name or number of the user's new initial login group. The group name must exist. A group number must refer to an already existing group. The default group number is 1. -G group,[...] A list of supplementary groups which the user is also a member of. Each group is separated from the next by a comma, with no inter- vening whitespace. The groups are subject to the same restrictions as the group given with the -g option. If the user is currently a member of a group which is not listed, the user will be removed from the group -l login_name The name of the user will be changed from login to login_name. Nothing else is changed. In particular, the user's home directory name should probably be changed to reflect the new login name. -p passwd The encrypted password, as returned by crypt(3). -s shell The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. -u uid The numerical value of the user's ID. This value must be unique, unless the -o option is used. The value must be non-negative. Values between 0 and 99 are typically reserved for system accounts. Any files which the user owns and which are located in the directory tree rooted at the user's home directory will have the file user ID changed automatically. Files outside of the user's home directory must be altered manually. -L Lock a user's password. This puts a '!' in front of the encrypted password, effectively disabling the password. You can't use this option with -p or -U. -U Unlock a user's password. This removes the '!' in front of the encrypted password. You can't use this option with -p or -L. CAVEATS
usermod will not allow you to change the name of a user who is logged in. You must make certain that the named user is not executing any processes when this command is being executed if the user's numerical user ID is being changed. You must change the owner of any crontab files manually. You must change the owner of any at jobs manually. You must make any changes involving NIS on the NIS server. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shadow - secure user account information /etc/group - group information SEE ALSO
chfn(1), chsh(1), passwd(1), crypt(3), groupadd(8), groupdel(8), groupmod(8), useradd(8), userdel(8) AUTHOR
Julianne Frances Haugh (jockgrrl@ix.netcom.com) USERMOD(8)