10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting
1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers
Need to extract a file containing multiple .txt files without using tar/unzip as they are not available (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: santoshdrkr
2. Shell Programming and Scripting
1. archive all the files in a directory from the previous month into a tar/gz file, ignoring all already archived 'tar.gz' files
2. Check created .tar.gz file isnt corrupted and has all the required files in it. and then remove the original files.
I am using a function to get the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prev
3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers
I need a help with zip and tar. I have no done any scripts before with zip command.
What I need to achieve is list files in a directory with a specific name (ID_DATE format- given examples) and then zip (or gunzip which I need to use, I am not sure) with timestamp on the file name and then... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijay81
4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users
I have an issue processing a large amount of files. I have around 5 million files (some of them are actually directories) in a server.
I am unable to find out the exact number of files since it's taking "forever" to finish (See this thread for more on the issue).
Anyway, now I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
5. Shell Programming and Scripting
Does anyone know how to get hash marks (or some other visual indicator) to print to the screen during tar or zip commands run from within a Cshell on Sun or Linux? Currently the user receives no indication that a command is running and cannot be sure that a problem has not occurred. I can find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phudgens
6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers
I want to backup my SQL database using tar zip but I'm paranoid that I will archive it. What I mean is I want the files to stay where they are but make a zipped copy of the files as well, I don't want to delete the originals.
Is the command?
tar -cvzf databasename.tar.gz... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chickenhouse
7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers
whats diff between TAR+zip+FTP and TAR+FTP,can't we simpply FTP a file without Zipping it?
TAR is simply for Archiving ,then why do we need to Zip it?
:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swarup2008
8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers
i want know how to compress and uncompress file using unix,
compress uncompress,zip,unzip,rar,unrar,how its work and more about this.:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ismael xavier
9. Shell Programming and Scripting
Can we have a shell script for this sort of conversion?
There are some web-based tools which display the contents of tar.Z format. I am trying to convert zip files to that
Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eagercyber
10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers
i have tar.gz file in inbound director.
i want display the contents on the tar.gz file in a temp file.
please help me on this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama