user initialization like issue - descriptors

Operating Systems Solaris user initialization like issue - descriptors
# 1  
Old 09-29-2012
user initialization like issue - descriptors

Problem description is: File descriptors that were set up in /etc/project does not take effect on a user

I have setup file descriptors to be 8192 to one of the projects and root. When i sudo su - db2user -c "/usr/bin/sh" db2user sees the descriptors set as 4096 but if i do sudo su db2user -c "/usr/bin/sh" ( just su without su - ) i see the 8192 getting in effect.Further, i tried removing the .profile of that user and logging in results were the same. I wonder if there are anyother initializations getting my way and which i'm obviously missing.
I tried creating another user and assigned it to the same project which the db2user is part of. That user does not have issues and the correct descriptor values (8192) are shown to him.
What other initializations takes place apart from the standard /etc/profile, .login, .profile, .bashrc, .kshrc, .cshrc ?
Is there a way of making a user login verbose to see what initilizations are taking place ?
what could it be the cause of the project settings not coming into place for the db2user when he logs in using a su - ?
thanks in advance.
# 2  
Old 09-29-2012
Is there a ulimit statement in places like .profile or /etc/profile?
Code:
su - dbuser

What does
Code:
ulimit -a
prctl $$

show?
# 3  
Old 09-29-2012
If i do a su - it shows me 4096 if i do su it show me 8192. Removed the .profile but there was a .profile1 and tried su - db2user -c "/usr/bin/sh" still it picks 4096 from some where.
Other user i created and assigned to the same project gets 8192.
Smilie

is there a way i can trace to see what really is called and executed during user login ?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error occurred during initialization of VM

Hi , I was invoking a sh file using the nohup command. But while invoking, I received a below error. Error occurred during initialization of VM Unable to load native library: /u01/libjava.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory . Could you please help out. Regards,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kamal1108
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable initialization

Hallo Team, I have a simple request and i would appreciate your help. I would like to use two dates in my script lets: A=$(date +"%d %B %Y") echo $A 23 June 2014 That's awesome now we cooking. Now i want B to be on the previous month eg: echo $B Should give me 23 May 2014 I would... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
9 Replies

3. Programming

C- static initialization of structures

Situation: I have an array of structures: struct my_struct_type { char tags_sn; char group_c; char is_err_c; }; struct my_struct_type stuff = { "abcd", 'A', 'E', "efgh", 'B', 'E', "ijkl", 'C', 'E' NULL, '\0', '\0' ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: garysk
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Initialization error

new to shell scripting. below line is showing error in script. ${parameter:=word} in the o/p first it shows the below error. word: not found. and then in next line print "word" ---------------- p2: word: not found. word --------------------------- OS is AIX and shell is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Declaring variables without initialization

I get an error in my shell script that line 1: )unexpected. Line 1 in my script (using sh by the way) is the variable I declared but did not initialize it. result= Is this wrong? How can I fix it? I am using the variable later in the program, so I figured I could just declare it first... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

little confusion about variable initialization.

Whenever i execute the below scriptlet with out proper file name it deletes /tmp directory . I guess this is because value of variable a didnt get initialized and there for rm -rf /tmp/ get executed and entire /tmp directory get deleted. How would i avoid any empty variables to be used in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
9 Replies

7. Programming

Char initialization

Hi All, char a="\0"; a) a contains \0 a contains garbage value b) a contains \ a contains 0 a contains garbage value Pls, let me know correct result is a or b. I guess a. Thanks, Naga:cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell initialization files

As you know, when a user logs in, the shell reads the initialization files in an order something like below... ################### Bourne Shell /etc/profile > $HOME/.profile Bash Shell /etc/profile > $HOME/.bash_profile > $HOME/.bash_login > $HOME/.profile > $HOME/.bashrc C Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SeanWuzHere
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help regarding storing the initialization parameters

Hi all, In my shell script, I am reading some files, processing them, and writing the out-put in the log files. The out put contains number of rows in the file etc. I want to fetch the input files from a particular directory and I want to write the logs in a particular directory with a particular... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VENC22
1 Replies

10. Programming

Struct Initialization

Hi We are using a code generator for initializing structures with the #define macro. Compiling it with the GCC 2.8.1 (with -ansi) it OK. But when we are using the SUN C 5.0 compiler it screams. Following is a code sample: #include <stdlib.h> #include <stdio.h> typedef struct TEST3 {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amatsaka
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question