More vs less Linux

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users More vs less Linux
# 1  
Old 11-20-2013
More vs less Linux

Does more have any advantages over less? I know less has a ton of advantages over more. It can go up, you can use several vi commands, you can do page up and down, you can scroll with the mouse wheel. What other advantages does less have over more?
# 2  
Old 11-20-2013
The advantage of the more command that I know of is, that it is available on more OSes - even MS-DOS supports it.
# 3  
Old 11-20-2013
"more" contains less and "less" contains more ... Funny to know.
# 4  
Old 11-20-2013
Less cryptically, "less" is an enhanced version of 'more', which came first. more is simpler and more predictable.
# 5  
Old 11-20-2013
more works with very simple terminals - which IMHO are no longer in use.
# 6  
Old 01-22-2014
more on AIX seems to be much more similar to less on Linux... Maybe the GNU more was hamstrung for some reason, so less was created to get that functionality back?
# 7  
Old 01-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokedude
Does more have any advantages over less? I know less has a ton of advantages over more. It can go up, you can use several vi commands, you can do page up and down, you can scroll with the mouse wheel. What other advantages does less have over more?
When performing a search, less does highlight all the pattern you look for which is a big advantage over more

less is more userfriendly
more is less userfriendly

Last edited by ctsgnb; 01-22-2014 at 09:37 AM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple sed command not working; could be a Mac/Linux vs. PC/Linux issue

Hello, I am on a Mac and trying to clean up some monthly files with a very simple SED: sed '3,10d;/<ACROSS>/,$d' input.txt > output.txt (from the input, delete lines 3 - 10; then delete from the line containing <ACROSS> to the end of the file) then output to output.txt Even when I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbatim
2 Replies

2. Fedora

Which is the better platform to learn UNIX/Linux (Kali Linux Vs. Red Hat or other)?

I just started a new semester and I started my UNIX class yesterday. I've already decided to use python along with my learning process but what I really want to use with it is Kali as my UNIX/Linux platform to learn off of since I already wanted to learn Cyber Sec. anyways. I just wanted to know if... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ApacheOmega
12 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question