How to generate a configuration file easily and effectively?

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to generate a configuration file easily and effectively?
# 1  
Old 01-30-2006
How to generate a configuration file easily and effectively?

Hello Unix Gurus,

I have a query , like how to generate a configuration file easily using unix shell scripts?,

I have set of parameters (based on the test that user wishes to run) for which user needs enter their input, so that a config file gets generated based on their input before running the test.

Can u people suggest me a suitable way to do it in Unix shell script? , will it be effective if done through command line? r should I go for UNIX GUI using dialog?, thing is my script should work fine on linux and solaris.

did anyone had any experience in generating a config file ?

Please share ur experiences which will be prove to invaluable for me!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Partha
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Needed script to FTP a File and generate a quality checksum file

hi all i want a script to FTP a file and should generate a quality checksum file means when I FTP a file from one server to another server it should generate a QC file which should contain timestamp,no.of records in that file Thanks in advance saikumar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - help needed for creating a script to generate xml file from text file

Dear Members, I have a table in Oracle DB and one of its column name is INFO which has data in text format which we need to fetch in a script and create an xml file of a new table from the input. The contents of a single cell of INFO column is like: Area:app - aam Clean Up Criteria:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

generate a file from existing file based on some rule

Hi guys, i have a file in below format.let me explain first what i am trying to do . i am making a file from this file , will rearrange these columns, then i will run several command(start/stop mentioned in this file) on unix environment. my requirements : 1. i have 27 servers , on each server... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakiniimt
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easily search file and get line - little problem

hi, file1.txt: cell101 1 20.24.1.1 10 cell101 2 20.24.1.2 20 cell101 3 20.24.1.3 30 cell327 1 20.24.1.4 40 cell327 2 20.24.1.5 50 cell327 3 20.24.1.5 60 ... file2.txt: cell101 1 cell327 1 cell327 3 ... according to values in file2.txt, the script should search lines and get... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : how to modify a file without generate a temporary file

Hi All, I have a file like below, how can i insert one line after line 1 without using a temporary file in perl? line 1 line 2 line 3 expected result line 1 new line <---insert here line 2 line 3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: summer_cherry
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in Parsing a CSV file and generate a new output file

Hi Scripting Gurus, I am trying to parse a csv file and generate a new output file. The input file will be a variable length in turns of rows and columns. output file will have 8 columns. we have three columns from the header for each set. just to give little bit more clarification each row... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkr
15 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to generate text file from excel file

Hello, I have a excel file which has almost ten columns on the shared drive. I have to write a shell script to ftp that daily to unix server and then extract some columns from there and generate oracle standard text file. The columns should be in proper order and aligned properly, otherwise... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isingh786
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How Can I Easily Determine If A File Has been Added to a Directory

I am uploading files that need to be processed prior to uploading. I will put the files in a directory. My question is how can I write an easy process to kick off a script once a file has been added? Is there an easy way to determine if a file has been added to a directory? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodmis
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Can I Easily Determine If A File Has been Added to a Directory

I am uploading files that need to be processed prior to uploading. I will put the files in a directory. My question is how can I write an easy process to kick off a script once a file has been added? Is there an easy way to determine if a file has been added to a directory? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goodmis
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using mail more effectively

Hi, I'm new to Unix.I use HP - Unix. I was wondering if anybody , could tell me how to include a 'Subject' section when sending mails to Microsoft Outlook?. I know a small amount about posix scripting, sed, awk,so don't hesitate to contact me and I'll help you if I can. Regards Mark (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwright
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)