Details: Text was empty (or contained only whitespace)

Operating Systems Solaris Details: Text was empty (or contained only whitespace)
# 1  
Old 09-08-2010
Data Details: Text was empty (or contained only whitespace)

Hi.

I have got a sun server with solaris 10.
And after reboot when I try to launch any applications from solaris launch panel I get a mistake:

Cannot launch entry
Details: Text was empty (or contained only whitespace)

How to repair? Smilie
I have the second sun server where there isn't that mistake. So I can compare conf, files, pakages....but what?
Details: Text was empty (or contained only whitespace)-solaris1jpg
Details: Text was empty (or contained only whitespace)-solaris2jpg
# 2  
Old 09-08-2010
What if you right click on the desktop and go to Terminal? This would help figure out if its a problem with Terminal or a problem with the shortcut.
# 3  
Old 09-08-2010
also you can try to create another user and login with the new id and try again...
# 4  
Old 09-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L71
What if you right click on the desktop and go to Terminal? This would help figure out if its a problem with Terminal or a problem with the shortcut.
-> What if you right click on the desktop and go to Terminal?

Nothing happens. Terminal doesn't launch. Smilie

And any applications from solaris launch panel don't launch.
Details: Text was empty (or contained only whitespace)-solaris3jpg
Details: Text was empty (or contained only whitespace)-solaris4jpg
# 5  
Old 09-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeNuke2
also you can try to create another user and login with the new id and try again...

I have added a new user. His desktop works fine!

Please, any adviсes to repair my first account (it's the root).
Details: Text was empty (or contained only whitespace)-solaris5jpg
Details: Text was empty (or contained only whitespace)-solaris6jpg

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 09-09-2010 at 04:18 AM..
# 6  
Old 09-09-2010
just delete the ".gnome" files in the root homedirectory and try again.
This User Gave Thanks to DukeNuke2 For This Post:
# 7  
Old 09-09-2010
I deleted in the root homedirectory:
.dt
.gconf
.gconfd
.gnome
.gnome2
.gnome2_private
.metacity
.nautilus
.softwareupdate
Desktop
Documents
.ICEauthority
.Xauthority
.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2
.profile

All these files\Dirs were recreated. And the mistake disappeared!

Th u very much! I'm happy Smilie
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove empty field in a text file?

Hi all, I want to remove empty field in a text file. I tried to used sed. But it failed. Input: LG10_PM_map_19_LEnd 1000560 G AG AG LG10_PM_map_19_LEnd 1005621 G AG LG10_PM_map_19_LEnd 1011214 A AG AG LG10_PM_map_19_LEnd 1011673 T CT CT ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: huiyee1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum numeric columns contained in a plain text file

Hi everyone, Here are the contents of a plain text file created by a SQL query: SUM(T.TRNQTY) COUNT(D.TRNSEQ) ---------------- ---------------- 1380 46 1393 59 2680 134 740 37 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - insert text if column empty

Hi, I want to insert the text 'Unknown' in 2 specific columns in a csv file (actually | separated) if the column is blank. Its always the same columns. I have tried using sed: sed "s/||/|Unknown|/g" but there are occasion where other fields are blank and they need to be left blank. This... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksexton
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text into empty file

I have an awk script to extract data from several files and create output in the following format as a csv file: xxxx 01/04/12 0001 0 When data is present, I have a file. When no data is available in the input files, I would still like to create a file that looks like this: xxxx... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: banjo25
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

at -l doesnt give details of the scheduled job. How to get the details?

I have scheduled couple of shell scripts to run using 'at' command. The o/p of at -l is: $ at -l 1320904800.a Thu Nov 10 01:00:00 2011 1320894000.a Wed Nov 9 22:00:00 2011 1320876000.a Wed Nov 9 17:00:00 2011 $ uname -a SunOS dc2prcrptetl2 5.9 Generic_122300-54 sun4u sparc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: superparticle
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why are my text files sometimes empty when I make a read to them?

My implementation: I have a script Caller.sh that runs in the background that continuously calls the following scripts: createtext.sh createtext2.sh createtext3.sh Each of these scripts does the following (but with different text file names): #! /bin/bash ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etranman1
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed insert text at first line of empty file

I can't seem to get sed to allow me to insert text in the first line of an empty file. I have a file.txt that is a 0 byte file. I want sed to insert " fooBar" onto the first line. I've tried a few options and nothing seems to work. They work just fine if there's text in the file tho. Help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to match (whitespace digits whitespace) sequence?

Hi Following is an example line. echo "192.22.22.22 \"33dffwef\" 200 300 dsdsd" | sed "s:\(\ *\ \):\1:" I want it's output to be 200 However this is not the case. Can you tell me how to do it? I don't want to use AWK for this. Secondly, how can i fetch just 300? Should I use "\2"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahanali
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a text file is empty or not (using ls -s)

Hello, I want to make a script which says if a text file is empty or not. I tried two ways of making it, but I have problems with both of them. Now I think that the better way is the ls -s solution (considering that an empty text file has a 0 weight, because "cat file.txt" fails when file is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Link_
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files listed in a text file - whitespace problem.

Hi, Say I have this text file <copy.out> that contains a list of files/directories to be copied out to a different location. $ more copy.out dir1/file1 dir1/file2 dir1/file3 "dir1/white space" dir1/file4 If I do the following: $copy=`more copy.out` $echo $copy dir1/file1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 60doses
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question