Problem with login on AIX 5306

Operating Systems AIX Problem with login on AIX 5306
# 1  
Old 11-22-2007
Problem with login on AIX 5306

Hello Guys,
I am working on AIX 5306,when I ssh on to the server it just hangs.but I can still run commands remotely through ssh without logging in to the server.
I am not able to find out the problem,it's not only ssh even the telnet or normal login does not want to work it just hangs.when I reboot the system it is the same problem.To recover from this problem I actually have to shutdown the server and then startit back again.
I checked the error log and system logs but there are no problems found.I just found the following ether channel error
0 Mon Nov 19 03:05:48 USAST 2007 if_en: ns_alloc(en0) failed with errno = 19

Can plaese someone assist me with this problem
Thanks a lot
Noori
# 2  
Old 11-22-2007
Please, provide us with more information such as:
- errpt output.
- syslog output.
- software versions (ssh, openssl)
- Explain in depth what "hang" means.
- whatever could help us...
# 3  
Old 11-22-2007
It looks like a problem with pseudo terminals....

Can you login using X and use xterm or dtterm?
# 4  
Old 11-23-2007
noori

Hello Grial,
The error report does not show any errors when this hang happens there is only a software program error for a core dump.I am placing it here anyways.

LABEL: CORE_DUMP
IDENTIFIER: 40E9A4E1

Date/Time: Thu Nov 22 19:43:45 USAST 2007
Sequence Number: 517808
Machine Id: 00CC86CC4C00
Node Id: za-pr-ap-fcdb1
Class: S
Type: PERM
Resource Name: SYSPROC

Description
SOFTWARE PROGRAM ABNORMALLY TERMINATED

Probable Causes
SOFTWARE PROGRAM

User Causes
USER GENERATED SIGNAL

Recommended Actions
CORRECT THEN RETRY

Failure Causes
SOFTWARE PROGRAM

Recommended Actions
RERUN THE APPLICATION PROGRAM
IF PROBLEM PERSISTS THEN DO THE FOLLOWING
CONTACT APPROPRIATE SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE

Detail Data
SIGNAL NUMBER
USER'S PROCESS ID:
FILE SYSTEM SERIAL NUMBER
INODE NUMBER
PROCESSOR ID
CORE FILE NAME
/core
PROGRAM NAME
licrmt

Syslog has been disabled so I don't get any syslogoutput from there.
but I get error reporting from the conslog and I have pasted that
0 Mon Nov 19 03:05:48 USAST 2007 if_en: ns_alloc(en0) failed with errno = 19
I don't know if this error is valid.

OSlevel is - 5300-06-02-0727
openssh - 4.3.0.5300

This server works fine but once in a while the users cannot login to the server thru telnet,ssh or whatever kind of login.I can ping the IP and I can see that the server is up and running.If I try to ssh in to the server as myself or any other user the session hangs indefinetely.
but I can run remote commands like the following from another server
ssh root@server1 lslpp -l | grep ssh.

Just for information there is an ether channel setup on this server.some of the hits suggested that the problem could be ether channnel and asked us to reconfigure the etherchannel and that we did.
In order for me to make this server normal I have to shutdown the server and bring it back again.
If I try to reboot the server it doesn't work.
I am facing this problem on 2 servers ,on one of the servers there is gpfs running and the version is 2.3.0.22.Please note that I already know the known issue of TL06 with gpfs 2.3.0.22.

but I don't think it is a gpfs problem since the other server does not have gpfs.
Please let me know if there is anything else that u need from me.
# 5  
Old 11-23-2007
As someone pointed out, it looks to be a problem with the pseudo-terminal or some other necessary device. On one of the systems I have available, errno 19 is ENODEV (No such device), which may be caused by or the cause of the core dump (although I'm concerned that the core was left at /.

What if you run 'ssh server ls /dev'?
# 6  
Old 11-26-2007
Still not doing it for me . . .

Hi,

I am working with Noori and have just tried increasing the nmber of pty's, with no joy.

To do so I used the command
"ssh za-pr-ap-fcdb1 " chdev -l pty0 -a ATTnum='500' "

and got the following result "pty0 changed"

When I try to ssh to the system it asks me for my password and then just hangs and goes no further.

We are able to scp files to and from the server successfully and run any non-interactive command. I have tried to access to the system from the hmc and by switching on telnet and telnetting. Neither work.

Any ideas?
# 7  
Old 11-29-2007
download your self a copy of putty
use ssh and try to log in to the system and see if you still have problems

Have you confirmed that ssh are at the same level

There are a few things that can cause problems
but first test the basics

Other things to look at
APARTXT IY76807 = xauth hangs in certain conditions (ssh logins with X11)
NIS could cause hang or slow connections
System problems on the system can cause hang
Network problems
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Not able to login AIX server but able to login thru console.

Hi, i am able to login to AX server thru console but not able to login directly thru server. also the server is not ping-able with other server. filesystem is fine. and OS version is AIX 5.3. please let me know if you need any specific log. thx in advance. Scriptor (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
2 Replies

2. AIX

AIX 7.1 Login Terminal

Hi there, I am a newbie in AIX. I have reboot the AIX today and then the CDE login screen disappear. :eek:I have reboot several times and still it only shows the terminal (lft0) with only green characters and black screen:confused:. Anyway I can have the CDE login screen back?:confused: Also, as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnytai
5 Replies

3. AIX

User Account Login Login on your AIX server

I want to learn AIX. I would like to find someone who would be willing to give me a login to their AIX home lab server. My intent is to poke around and discover the similarities and differences of AIX compared to other *NIXs. I am a UNIX admin so I can think of what some immediate concerns may... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perl_in_my_shel
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't login on CDE AIX 4.2

Hi, can somebody please, please help me? After a power loss and server restart my server running AIX 4.2.2 could not boot. Following the procedure in my user guide I checked the hd's with # fsck -y /dev/hd1 # fsck -y /dev/hd2 # fsck -y /dev/hd3 # fsck -y /dev/hd4 # fsck -y /dev/hd9var ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: semso
4 Replies

5. AIX

Can't login on CDE AIX 4.2

Hi, can somebody please, please help me? After a power loss and server restart my server running AIX 4.2.2 could not boot. Following the procedure in my user guide I checked the hd's with # fsck -y /dev/hd1 # fsck -y /dev/hd2 # fsck -y /dev/hd3 # fsck -y /dev/hd4 # fsck -y /dev/hd9var I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: semso
0 Replies

6. AIX

user login problem & Files listing problem.

1) when user login to the server the session got colosed. How will resolve? 2) While firing the command ls -l we are not able to see the any files in the director. but over all view the file system using the command df -g it is showing 91% used. what will be the problem? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

7. AIX

not able to login to aix

Aix version 5.2. We restarted the server last night. after that we are not able to login from the workstations. we are just able to login in the console. when we try to login thru' netterm or telnet it gives the following error. "password required, but none set". We are able to ping... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mjdarm
1 Replies

8. AIX

AIX login problem

I have users at several remote locations that connect to a AIX 5.1 server using telnet. Last week the users at one location reported problems with logging into the server. After entering user ID and password the users get a blank screen. I have checked the user password, profile, and permissions... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TTC1
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX Unable to Login

Was OK on AIX5.2. Have installed AIX 5.3 ML02 and now only root can log in. Other users get "You are not allowed to login at this time." Once in as root, it's possible to su or 'su -' to other users. All user parameters are OK. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skinthegoat
0 Replies

10. AIX

Implicit login in AIX

only wanted to know .. if I have some tivoli jobs running with different user .. will this mean that everytime the job invokes .. the .profile runs for that user ... or is it that the .profile runs only at explicit LOGINs ... e.g if a cron calls a job under some user, does it run the .profile of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajesh_149
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question