newbie trouble

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers newbie trouble
# 1  
Old 04-04-2002
newbie trouble

I am new to this yesterday. I just got Unix installed. I am trying to load oracle, but get the message "Not enough permission or not enought drive space". It won't install when I log in as root. Any suggestions? or at least some info on how to make my question more clear.
# 2  
Old 04-04-2002
Can you define your hdd Space on your system? Also What Unix OS are you running ? Solaris, FreeBSD, AIX, Linux ? Best if your could post the result of uname -a
# 3  
Old 04-06-2002
Hard Drive Space. Sorry. I am running Solaris 8.
# 4  
Old 04-06-2002
if its a space issue and you're install partition seems ok on space, check your /tmp. Oracle likes to eat up temp space during an install. Also, create a user oracle with group of dba and install using that, its not a good idea to install Oracle as root (although you do need root permissions to finish the install).

hth-

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Trouble with C

Hey, i am having a problem First, i know java well and i have used C++ on occasion so i thought i would be able to deal with a class where they program in C. unfortunately i have hit some speed bumps that i am having problems. Here is my problem: I have a structure cache_t in the sample... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zephoid
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP-UX Console trouble, please help !!!!

We have an HP Visualize C3000, with NEC CRT Monitor and USB Compaq keyboard connected to it. Now the machine boots up and I am able to interact with the Main menu, look at the configurations, etc. When I enter: BO PRI Interact with IPL? Y ISL> hpux -is After this part the system boots up and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScriptBoy
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie

Hi, I am new to programming and also to perl..But i know 'perl' can come to my rescue, But I am stuck at many places and need help..any small help is much appreciated... below is the description of what i intend to acheive with my script. I have a files named in this format... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: xytiz
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X trouble

Hi there, I'm new to unix-environments. I'm richard, and i'm mostly a web-developer, under php. I've done work in unix env before, but never had my own. Today, I've got debian 3.1 r4 from the official site, and i've attempted to install it twice. I installed it initially as "Desktop... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: izua
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Trouble with tr

I'm not sure where to post this but it's happening on a SunOS 5.8 server so I'll try here. I've discovered some unexpected behavior when using tr. For example: echo a | tr Z echo b | tr a echo a | tr B echo a | tr B echo a | tr A (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike@Work
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The trouble about SU ...

Hi all, having read lots of posts about SU I don't quiet understand this : I'm doing regular backups of my database (u betta do) and therefore use su - username -c "sqlscript special data_base" in a unixscript which is even using cron. (yep!) Now I need some other script, still with this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nulnul7
4 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

The trouble with...

Welcome to "The trouble with...." with your host, ZazzyBob. Todays offering - "The trouble with letting other people host your website" I use a certain web hosting service, who shall of course remain nameless here. They are running PHP 4.3.10 I decide to write a script to test their PHP... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zazzybob
6 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

trouble

Hello, The system reboots in single user mode what command to use to bring the system up regularly?? I get INIT: cannot create /var/adm/utmpx Type control -d to proceede with a normal startup or give root passwd for system maintaince. either way i don't have a change and ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: awk
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question