10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting
1. Shell Programming and Scripting
Hello, I have a script extracting columns of useful numbers from a data file, and manipulating the numbers with awk commands. I have problems with my script...
1. There are two lines assigning numbers to $BaseForAveraging. If I use the commented line (the first one) and let the second one... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vgbraymond
2. Shell Programming and Scripting
To all geeks,
What I want to achieve:
1. Accept two filenames from user and store the filenames in two variables (FILE1 and FILE2)
2. Check if files exisits. If doesn't, then exit
3. If files exist, look for a particular string in both files
4. If the string exists, then change the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak Tulsani
3. Shell Programming and Scripting
I am really struggling :eek: to place a value in a variable with the following loop, having run out of ideas please can someone point me in the right direction?
We first read two PIDs of a program (say calc) into an array, then we loop reading the details of those processes into a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathan.harris
4. Shell Programming and Scripting
I am writing my own shell using c. I meet with two problems.
First, when I use tcsetpgrp system call to move a background job to foreground, when this job finishes, my shell program also exit. What is the problem for that?
Second, when I use signal , if the child has its own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomlee
5. Shell Programming and Scripting
I'm writing a script that'll send a time-stamp to my backup server. I create a file with the name of the current date, send it to my server with scp and rm the file from the local computer.
Individually these commands work fine and with a set name the expect scripts also work fine. The problem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ktesh564
6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers
this is the first time for me here >>>
but really i have some problems for answers these things also understanding...
Can any one help me?
Write a simple shell as given in class. Your shell, called shell will read input lines from standard input, parse them into a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ronald kabbi
7. Shell Programming and Scripting
good afternoon forums.
i have a problem that ive been trying to work out all morning and cant seem to get my head around it.
what i have in my script is individual letters saved in different variables. so if the word unix was saved then 'u' would be stored in the variable 'wvar1' 'n' in 'wvar2'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: strasner
8. Shell Programming and Scripting
Does anyone know a good site to do shell script problems? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers
It has been a loooooooooooong time since I had last used sed but decided to use it for a simple task I have .
My goal is to use sed to read variables from a flat file then use those same variables in order to make some subsitutions. However what I am finding is that when the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: icalderus
10. Shell Programming and Scripting
I am a newbies here and also dummies in csh language. I've been told from my frenz this forum is very useful site for Q&A about UNIX script. Can anyone in here just lead me to learn more about csh language with code example. tq (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unknown2205