geekTool

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers geekTool
Prev   Next
# 1  
Old 07-21-2008
geekTool

Hello!

Here is my problem:

I try to display the uptime of my computer on my desktop with the help of a tool called GeekTool (for Mac).
I want the uptime output to look like that:
x day(s) y h z min (but if the pc is only running e.g for several minutes it should leave out the day and the hours)
For that reason I using the command "uptime" in a modified version:

uptime | awk '{sub(",", "min ", $5); sub(":", "h ", $5); sub("day,", " day", $4); sub("days,", " days ", $4); sub("mins,", "min", $4); sub("min,", "min", $4); sub("hrs,", "h", $4); sub(":", "h ", $3); sub(",", "min", $3); sub("2", "", $4); sub("1", "", $4); print "uptime : " $3$4$5}'

but this piece of code only works until I reach a uptime of one day or more because than it displays only the day, not the hours and minutes.

So I tried this code

uptime | awk '{sub("2 users", " ", $6); sub(",", " ", $6); sub("mins", "min ", $6); sub(",", "min ", $5); sub(":", "h ", $5); sub("day,", " day", $4); sub("days,", " days ", $4); sub("mins,", "min", $4); sub("min,", "min", $4); sub("hrs,", "h", $4); sub(":", "h ", $3); sub(",", "min", $3); sub("2", "", $4); sub("1", "", $4); print "uptime : " $3$4$5$6}'

But this somehow does not work properly because it shows the number of users currently logged on. so my question is how can I modify my command to display the uptime like that: x day(s) y h z min (no matter how long my computer is turned on)
And is there a niftier command than awk to the same job.
sorry for my weird question but I am new at unix.
I hope someone can help me.
Thank you in advance!

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

1 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GeekTool

Hello to whoever is reading this! I try to display my uptime on my desktop with a program called GeekTool. For that purpose I use this command uptime | awk '{print "Uptime : " $3 " " }' So it looks like this Uptime : 3:01, My first question is how to remove the comma behind the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MastaFue
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question