problem with execvp

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers problem with execvp
# 1  
Old 12-07-2005
Bug problem with execvp

i am having an application that contains a push button.
On the click of this push button i want to call a executable file using execvp

function block fo2 push button
{
char *args[1];
args[0]=NULL;
execvp("/home2/xyz/app1.exe",args)
}

but after compilation when i press this button the app1.exe is not being executed

help will be highly appreciated
# 2  
Old 12-07-2005
There is a problem with the way that you have called the exec syscall. Syntax is incorrect. For the correct syntax, check the man page.
Anyways, is the args variable always gonna be null? If so, call the exec as:
Code:
execl("/home2/xyz/app1.exe","app1.exe",0);

# 3  
Old 12-07-2005
still having problem with execvp

hi
thanks for reply
i tried
execl("/home2/xyz/app1.exe","app1.exe",0);
but it is still not working
# 4  
Old 12-07-2005
What error are you getting? Check the value of the "errno" variable that is set when the system call returns. This will help you get closer to your solution.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Fork and Execvp Not Executing Bash Commands From C correctly.

I had been looking at page 75 of this online book: http://richard.esplins.org/static/downloads/linux_book.pdf I've used the system function in C to call bash commands before, but wanted to learn this way too. The solution in the book worked perfectly. However, I tried changing the simple "ls -l... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
3 Replies

2. Programming

Execvp with arguments

Hi, I'm trying to build my own little shell as an exercise. I want to run emacs from my shell so I'm using execvp() command. The problem is when I run it with arguments at background (e.g "emacs file1 &") it stays "hung" (I don't get the prompt back) while without arguments it runs ok ("emacs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rap_master
1 Replies

3. Programming

If I malloc my parameters, then fork and execvp, where do I free them?

Hi, I do the following: i) malloc some parameter structures ii) fork iii) in the child, I call execvp using these parameters obviously, here I can never free() the structures as execvp should not return iiii) I am currently doing waitpid in parent then freeing, but this does not seem to work... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: misha680
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to use a execvp-call to do "grep PATH"?

Hello! I am learning how to use the function execvp. I have read through the UNIX manual. I have a process. I run execvp and I command it to do “printenv”. It works fine. Before I do the execvp-call I pipe STDOUT to go to a specific pipe. After that I restore STDOUT. I read that pipe in another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andersbranderud
2 Replies

5. AIX

gmake[1]: execvp: /bin/sh: Arg list too long

I am having a code which will create archive after build. Ibuild code on IBM AIX 5.3. It supposed to create 2 archive after build. I am getting 1st archive successfully but when build starts for second archive after some processing it throws an following error message- ar cq... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milindb
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

build - make -gmake: execvp: mcu: Permission denied

Hi All, sorry it was application related.. i am deleting it Thanks & Regards Shihab (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shihabvk
0 Replies

7. Programming

after executing execvp()... program hangs up

Hi , I m actually trying to implement pipes program,but after executing the execvp(),my program is getting hanged up :mad: Actaully i m getting the desired output expected from execvp()...but once results are displayed on the output screen ,program is getting hanged up values of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crab
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

execvp:ar:Arg list too long -> while linking

I get this error : execvp:ar:Arg list too long when i am trying to link the .obj files created on unix box. Any resolution to this? Thanks Mohit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohitp
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

execv () vs execvp ()

what's the difference between the two? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hurleyint1386
3 Replies

10. Programming

execvp and execlp?

Hi mates, Is there any difference between execvp and execlp? any comment will be appreciated. abdul:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abdul
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question