Can you check this alias?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Can you check this alias?
# 1  
Old 02-18-2005
Can you check this alias?

Hi, I need to create an alias named vi that runs the command /usr/ucb/vi to edit text files. The alias shold turn off the notification of new emails using the biff cmd before executing the vi cmd and turn biff back on after the vi cmd.
What I found on vi in man is /usr/bin/vi ....[+command |-command]filename...
What is this "ucb"? I came up with sth like this:
alias vi ' /usr/ucb/vi +biff n | -biff y '
vi filename
Thanks in advance.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IP Alias

Quick question Have a AIX system that has been up for years with a 192.9.x.x IP scheme and we want to add a second IP to the system. I setup the second IP 10.1.x.x as an alias via smit. Since these two IP's are on different VLANs will this be an issue? Reason I ask is that I cannot ping... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chrisp
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to check date and check files in particular dir

Hi Experts, I am checking how to get day in Perl. If it is “Monday” I need to process…below is the pseudo code. Can you please prove the code for below condition. if (today=="Monday" ) { while (current_time LESS THAN 9:01 AM) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check EOF char in Unix. OR To check file has been received completely from a remote system

Advance Thanks. (1) I would like to know any unix/Linux command to check EOF char in a file. (2) Or Any way I can check a file has been reached completely at machine B from machine A. Note that machine A ftp/scp the file to machine B at unknown time. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexalex1
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias

Hi, I have created alias in UNIX environment (ie in .cshrc file). But when i use the alias in the UNIX script, getting an error message as that is not found. But when i use that alias, outside the script it is working fine. Let me know if you need more details For example: alias cderror... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen_5960
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Alias

Hi, I have a software package consisting of a group of BASH shell scripts. There is a master script which calls a series of subscripts. To run the software users must open the master script, modify and save it, and then run it. To open the script you can either double-click on it, or you can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias

i used 'alias' command for a set of daily used long commands. But i noticed they are gone once i log out of the ssh session. Can any one plz let me know if there is a way to set it permanently for my user. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pharos467
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

please help me regarding alias

Dear All, I have given alias to run a script which will calculate memory and cpu utilization as "utils" in my bash shell. Even i have given this entry in .profile and .bashrc in my home directory. It is working fine. Now my question is that I want to use this alias in... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
17 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to check for a file, check for 2hrs. then quit

I wish to seach a Dir for a specific file, once the file is found i will perform additional logic. If the file is not found within two hours, i would like to exit. Logically, I'm looking for the best way to approach this Thanks for any assistance in advance. Note: I'm using a C shell and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmarsh
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias

I'm trying to do the following: Create an alias called whopw that will change directory to the /etc directory and grep the password file for my username to return my password file entry. One assumption: Once the alias works, I will be letting all of my friends copy and use it. In other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klannon
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question
biff(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   biff(1)

NAME
biff - Notifies users when mail arrives SYNOPSIS
biff [y | n] DESCRIPTION
The biff command informs the system whether you want to be notified when mail arrives during the current terminal session. The following command enables notification: biff y The following command disables notification: biff n When mail notification is enabled, the From: and Subject: header lines and up to the first five lines of the message are displayed. The total display is 560 characters, or seven lines terminated by newline characters, whichever occurs first. The biff y command is often included in the $HOME/.login or $HOME/.profile file to be executed each time you log in. The biff command operates asynchronously. For synchronous notification, use the MAIL variable of sh or ksh, or the mail variable of csh. EXAMPLES
To display the current setting, enter: biff To be notified during the current terminal session whenever mail arrives, enter the following in your $HOME/.login or $HOME/.profile file: biff y FILES
Read by login shell (after login. User profile. SEE ALSO
Commands: comsat(8), csh(1), ksh(1), mail(1), mailx(1), Bourne Shell sh(1b), POSIX Shell sh(1p) biff(1)