identify server type from ufsdump

Operating Systems Solaris identify server type from ufsdump
# 1  
Old 02-29-2012
identify server type from ufsdump

Hi guys

I have a little problem. I need to identify the server type from some ufsdumps.
How can i do that?
I grepped with:
Code:
grep Sun messages*

but with this command, if there server was never rebooted, i cannot recognize the server type.

any other idea?

thx in advance
Ivan
# 2  
Old 02-29-2012
Hi Ivan,

Not so easy to do this on Solaris, probably best to pull back /etc/hosts and try and identify the system from there if it can be tied to a host name.

Or if it's one of the later M ot T series systems running a reasonably new version of solaris you could look in /var/adm/pool/history using strings and you should be able to identify the host name.

Failing that you're looking at pulling back the kernel and having a look at the load modules - but that won't give you a host only a processor type.Smilie

Regards

Dave
# 3  
Old 02-29-2012
Hi Dave

the only thing i know it's that some ufsdumps are from a v120 and others from a v440!
because the v120 was replaced/upgraded by the v440 the hosts file are the same! :-)
i've also checked if the SUNWsneep package was installed to read out the hostid but noooo way... :-(
# 4  
Old 02-29-2012
Hi Ivan,

You could "grep net /etc/path_to_inst" file, it may be that the device definitions in that file will give you a clue, but you'd have to be familiar with the servers.

From memory I think the interface names were different, something like net0 and net1 on one model and eri0 and eri1 on the other - but it's been a while since I did anything with Vseries except scrap them.

Regards

Dave

---------- Post updated at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:22 PM ----------

Hi Ivan,

Quick update here I found a still running v440 (the last one) and got the following if it helps!

Code:
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.10      Generic January 2005
(ss063a SunOS 5.10) munrd03 /export/home/support
$ grep net /etc/path_to_inst
"/pci@1c,600000/network@2" 0 "ce"
"/pci@1f,700000/network@1" 1 "ce"
$ uname -a
SunOS ss063a 5.10 Generic_120011-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440
$ exit
Connection closed by foreign host.

Regards

Dave
This User Gave Thanks to gull04 For This Post:
# 5  
Old 02-29-2012
I assume you are talking Solaris o/s on a SPARC here?

If so and I have a ufsdump file OF A NORMAL O/S INSTALL and I need to identify the hardware platform then I extract the file /etc/snmp/conf/snmpd.conf and then look at the "sysdescr" line. That tells you the SPARC platform info.

Any good?
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:
# 6  
Old 02-29-2012
thanks guys, will check it now and give a feedback....

---------- Post updated at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:10 AM ----------

Thank you again guys, you helped me alot!!!
solved my little problem :-D
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Server migration - using ufsdump

hi all, i am refreshing my hardware, but i do not want to do a clean installation/reinstallation. I am wondering if i could do - do a ufsdump of the / partition (into a file on a nfs share) - bootup using cdrom in the new machine - mount the boot device/slice, and restore the ufsdump on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
7 Replies

2. Solaris

Restore a server from a ufsdump

Hi guys i tried to restore a server from a ufsdump. For your information, the ufsdump was created on a v440 and i have to restore it to a v240... is it supported? should it work? don't know but i try! the problem is after restoring the filesystem, modify the vfstab, system file and install... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beta17
5 Replies

3. Solaris

ufsdump to a remote server

Hello, how can I use ufsdump utility for filesystem backup to a remote directory on a server dedicated for backups ( over network) ?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mm00123
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Building New server using ufsdump/ufsrestore

Hi Guys, Marry X-MAX in advance :) I would like to build a new server using ufsdump/ufsrestore. Both the servers are identical hardware and model. I am using Solaris 10 X86 O/S. I am having ufsdump "mydump.rootdump.gz" in a Central NFS server. What I did:- I took backup of root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SanjayLinux
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Building New server using Ufsdump/ufsrestore

Hi Guys, Marry X-MAX in advance :) I would like to build a new server using ufsdump/ufsrestore. Both the servers are identical hardware and model. I am using Solaris 10 X86 O/S. I am having ufsdump "mydump.rootdump.gz" in a Central NFS server. What I did:- I took backup of root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SanjayLinux
1 Replies

6. Solaris

How to identify which type of Apache is installed?

Hi, I need to find out which type of Apache is installed. following is the list of Apache types Covalent, IBM HTTP, HP Apache-based, Oracle, Stronghold and may be some other as well. If anyone know how to figure out this, please share it with me. Thanks Sarwan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarwan
3 Replies

7. Linux

how to identify the raid type on Linux?

Hi any idea on why I am getting this? /sbin/mdadm --detail /dev/md0 mdadm: md device /dev/md0 does not appear to be active. thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
2 Replies

8. AIX

how to identify the raid type on aix

hi how to identify the raid type on aix? thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to identify the type of shell using comands..

Dear friends, please tell me how to identify the type of the shell (whether cShell, kshell or anything else) please tell me the command. waiting for ur reply.... regards, swamymns (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamymns
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify type of file

hi all, i have the next question: how can i identify the type of a file? . I'm working in Unix (Solaris 5.7) and i would like identify if a file is or not is a "flat file". I need have a program what separates the flat file in a directory, and the excel file in another directory. I must get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question