opening programs in a different workspace

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers opening programs in a different workspace
# 1  
Old 06-17-2008
opening programs in a different workspace

Hello, I have been searching for a way to spawn new processes in a different workspace with no luck. Does anyone know how to do this at the command prompt. I wish to do something like this.

>vi a.txt & | workspace 2

is there any way to do this?
# 2  
Old 06-17-2008
Is this a Gnome workspace, or a similar concept in KDE, or in Max OS X, or some other windowing environment? Which window manager?
# 3  
Old 06-17-2008
its the Solaris windows environment
# 4  
Old 06-17-2008
It is possible to do what you want to do but only by using dtksh (/usr/dt/bin/dtksh)
which supports numerious libDt CDE Workspace Management Commands including the
following:
Quote:
DtWsmSetCurrentWorkspace widgetHandle workspaceNameAtom

This command changes the user's current workspace to the
workspace indicated by workspaceNameAtom.

DtWsmSetWorkspacesOccupied display window workspaceList

This command moves the indicated shell window to the set
of workspaces indicated by the string workspaceList,
which must be a comma-separated list of X atoms.
There are also a number of helpful examples in /usr/dt/share/examples/dtksh

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between inbuilt suid programs and user defined root suid programs under bash shell?

Hey guys, Suppose i run passwd via bash shell. It is a suid program, which temporarily runs as root(owner) and modifies the user entries. However, when i write a C file and give 4755 permission and root ownership to the 'a.out' file , it doesn't run as root in bash shell. I verified this by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
2 Replies

2. Web Development

Can i lock Eclipse IDE workspace ?

i joined an institute multiple users use the system there is any way to password my workspace... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: seshumohan
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Are programs like sys_open( ) ,sys_read( ) et al examples of system level programs ?

Are the programs written on schedulers ,thread library , process management, memory management, et al called systems programs ? How are they different from the programs that implement functions like open() , printf() , scanf() , read() .. they have a prefix sys_open, sys_close, sys_read etc , right... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

printer in the workspace

Experts, How to configure to add the printer icon in the workspace. I compared with C3700 and C8000 machine the C3700 have it but in C8000 didnt appeared. they are both running hpux 11.11. apprciate your inputs. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Keyboard shotcut for switching workspace

sunOS/Solaris 5.8 is there a keyboard shortcut to swicth workspaces? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_big_v
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question