Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers opening programs in a different workspace Post 302206394 by ineedhelp#1 on Tuesday 17th of June 2008 03:19:22 PM
Old 06-17-2008
opening programs in a different workspace

Hello, I have been searching for a way to spawn new processes in a different workspace with no luck. Does anyone know how to do this at the command prompt. I wish to do something like this.

>vi a.txt & | workspace 2

is there any way to do this?

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Keyboard shotcut for switching workspace

sunOS/Solaris 5.8 is there a keyboard shortcut to swicth workspaces? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_big_v
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

printer in the workspace

Experts, How to configure to add the printer icon in the workspace. I compared with C3700 and C8000 machine the C3700 have it but in C8000 didnt appeared. they are both running hpux 11.11. apprciate your inputs. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Are programs like sys_open( ) ,sys_read( ) et al examples of system level programs ?

Are the programs written on schedulers ,thread library , process management, memory management, et al called systems programs ? How are they different from the programs that implement functions like open() , printf() , scanf() , read() .. they have a prefix sys_open, sys_close, sys_read etc , right... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
1 Replies

4. Web Development

Can i lock Eclipse IDE workspace ?

i joined an institute multiple users use the system there is any way to password my workspace... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: seshumohan
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between inbuilt suid programs and user defined root suid programs under bash shell?

Hey guys, Suppose i run passwd via bash shell. It is a suid program, which temporarily runs as root(owner) and modifies the user entries. However, when i write a C file and give 4755 permission and root ownership to the 'a.out' file , it doesn't run as root in bash shell. I verified this by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
2 Replies
DtWsmChangeBackdrop(API)												  DtWsmChangeBackdrop(API)

NAME
DtWsmChangeBackdrop -- set current workspace's backdrop SYNOPSIS
#include <Dt/Wsm.h> int DtWsmChangeBackdrop( Display *display, Window root, char *path, Pixmap pixmap); DESCRIPTION
The DtWsmChangeBackdrop function works with the CDE workspace manager, dtwm(1), and changes the current workspace's backdrop. Applications can use this function to implement an interface to the workspace manager. If the DtWsmChangeBackdrop function is not successful, the most likely reason for failure is that the CDE workspace manager, dtwm(1), is not running. DtWsmChangeBackdrop sends a message to the CDE workspace manager, dtwm(1), to change the backdrop. The path argument points to a backdrop file name. The file must be in either X Bitmap file format (with extension .bm) or Pixmap file for- mat (with extension .pm). The workspace management services look for the file along the same path used for searching icons. The directory /usr/dt/backdrops is the default directory if the file cannot be found along the icon search path. ARGUMENTS
display display root root window of the screen path file path to bitmap file pixmap pixmap ID of backdrop pixmap SEE ALSO
DtWsm(5) "Communicating with the Workspace Manager" section in the CDE Programmer's Guide "Workspace Manager" section in the CDE Programmer's Overview DtWsmChangeBackdrop(API)