help to choose unix distro

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers help to choose unix distro
# 1  
Old 09-27-2008
Question help to choose unix distro

what unix could you advice to me for following purposes?

-browsing web
-reading text information
-listening to music (mp3/ogg/tracker modules)
-watcing movies (rare)
# 2  
Old 09-27-2008
i suggest solaris or redhat
# 3  
Old 09-27-2008
as i know redhat is a linux.. and why solaris? what are benefits?
# 4  
Old 09-27-2008
if you want all those features in unix.. hmmm hard to get..
# 5  
Old 09-27-2008
I'm currently running Kubuntu 8.04 - "Hardy Heron" - which seems to do all of those things. It's available on a Live CD, so you could download that and boot from it, giving you a chance to try it without having to install/reconfigure your system.

HTH,

Rob.
# 6  
Old 09-27-2008
i already use ubuntu. and asked about unix..
# 7  
Old 09-28-2008
re: help to choose unix distro

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is a UNIX licensee and it does what you're asking quite well..

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis https://youtu.be/doa9sA6q9Uw With so many great flavors of Linux to choose from, we asked our UNIX.com members what is their favorite Linux distro and why. Here are the results: What is your favorite Linux distro? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write program that find winner who choose the smallest number. UNIX process?

In the game of “Unique”, multiple players privately choose an integer. They then reveal their choice. The winner is the player who chose the smallest unique number. The game is considered a draw if no unique integer was chosen. You would write a program that simulate such a game according to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dantesma
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Which Product to Choose?

Okay, I have an Asus A8NSLI board with an Athlon 64 and I dunno, maybe 8gig Ram and Windows has crashed for the last time so I've finally had enough and I'll make it a Unix machine. I have a new 1Tera drive and I'm all set to go. Which brand of Unix/Linux can you advise me to go for? The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abrogard
3 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Which Tablet to Choose?

Currently in the process of looking for a tablet. Which one is best? Thanks Benjamin Mauerberger (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hlinks12
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

choose y or n

Hi, I have written a choice based shell script some thing like this: if (y) execute code .... fi else if(n) terminating the problem with the above scripting is it will work as far as the options are y or n. but i want to reiterate the same code when the user inputs something else... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
1 Replies

6. Fedora

Recommendations on Unix Distro

I'd like to become more familiar with Unix. To that end I want to install and practice/play with a (open source) Unix distro; however, I'm uncertain which one I should use. I'm considering freebsd, openbsd, and openSolaris. I'm familiar and comfortable with RHL/CentOS and Debian/Ubuntu. Keeping... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NateKin
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh(Unix Distro) script

ok so i am writing in VI. Basically i am writing a script which does the following 1.) creates a file name as: `hostname.`date '+%d%m%y_%H%M'.1.html 2.) echos some html tags >> to the same file name 3.) takes info from command showrev -p and then >> to the same file 4.) echos closing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Demon002
4 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

How do I choose the application when opening a file in UNIX?

If I have a file in OSX (e.g. a pdf), I can choose how to open it i.e. with the "open with..." command from the 'right click menu'. Sometimes a pdf is garbled in OSX Preview so I need to open it in Adobe Acrobat. How do I choose the application when opening a file in UNIX? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mpeter
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Live Unix Distro Help...

Hello, I was just looking for some help on Unix distros that don't affect my hard disk. Basically what I am looking for is a distro that has all your programming needs (so I can program in Unix) and the basic functions of an OS. I would also like it to include python if possible. BTW, is it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vhab
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question