Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help to choose unix distro
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers help to choose unix distro Post 302240915 by vidyadhar85 on Saturday 27th of September 2008 03:26:18 AM
Old 09-27-2008
i suggest solaris or redhat

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Live Unix Distro Help...

Hello, I was just looking for some help on Unix distros that don't affect my hard disk. Basically what I am looking for is a distro that has all your programming needs (so I can program in Unix) and the basic functions of an OS. I would also like it to include python if possible. BTW, is it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vhab
0 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

How do I choose the application when opening a file in UNIX?

If I have a file in OSX (e.g. a pdf), I can choose how to open it i.e. with the "open with..." command from the 'right click menu'. Sometimes a pdf is garbled in OSX Preview so I need to open it in Adobe Acrobat. How do I choose the application when opening a file in UNIX? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mpeter
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh(Unix Distro) script

ok so i am writing in VI. Basically i am writing a script which does the following 1.) creates a file name as: `hostname.`date '+%d%m%y_%H%M'.1.html 2.) echos some html tags >> to the same file name 3.) takes info from command showrev -p and then >> to the same file 4.) echos closing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Demon002
4 Replies

4. Fedora

Recommendations on Unix Distro

I'd like to become more familiar with Unix. To that end I want to install and practice/play with a (open source) Unix distro; however, I'm uncertain which one I should use. I'm considering freebsd, openbsd, and openSolaris. I'm familiar and comfortable with RHL/CentOS and Debian/Ubuntu. Keeping... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NateKin
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

choose y or n

Hi, I have written a choice based shell script some thing like this: if (y) execute code .... fi else if(n) terminating the problem with the above scripting is it will work as far as the options are y or n. but i want to reiterate the same code when the user inputs something else... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Which Tablet to Choose?

Currently in the process of looking for a tablet. Which one is best? Thanks Benjamin Mauerberger (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hlinks12
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Which Product to Choose?

Okay, I have an Asus A8NSLI board with an Athlon 64 and I dunno, maybe 8gig Ram and Windows has crashed for the last time so I've finally had enough and I'll make it a Unix machine. I have a new 1Tera drive and I'm all set to go. Which brand of Unix/Linux can you advise me to go for? The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abrogard
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write program that find winner who choose the smallest number. UNIX process?

In the game of “Unique”, multiple players privately choose an integer. They then reveal their choice. The winner is the player who chose the smallest unique number. The game is considered a draw if no unique integer was chosen. You would write a program that simulate such a game according to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dantesma
1 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis https://youtu.be/doa9sA6q9Uw With so many great flavors of Linux to choose from, we asked our UNIX.com members what is their favorite Linux distro and why. Here are the results: What is your favorite Linux distro? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)