How to start x_server

Operating Systems AIX How to start x_server
# 1  
Old 11-17-2010
How to start x_server

I'm really new to AIX. We have a user requesting the following:

We have observed that x_server is not getting started automatically from last couple of weeks.
Please check and make modifcation in the system to make x_server service is started under user id lcqadm once system comes up.

Can anyone help?
# 2  
Old 11-17-2010
Do you mean Xwindows :0.0 on the console?,
or Xdm user login service to start X Clients like a windows manager and terminals?

I use VNC and as I am not root, I use a cron to restart a default desktop after a reboot. I have one desktop for each host. VNC desktops never die but at reboot, so I set it up more rarely. I do not care for starting a new desktop a day.
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:
# 3  
Old 11-17-2010
the user is refering to the AIX server and having x_server service start automatically after and IPL. Not on the Windows side.

We run the AIX partition off of our iSeries box. I am a AS400 admin, not AIX, but was just recently given the task of administering this AIX box without any training I am basically running it blind.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
# 4  
Old 11-17-2010
Well, yes, I was talking about UNIX X Windows, not MS Windows, or has the meaning of x_server been diluted, and has nothing to do with X Windows? It can get confusing. What sort of x service or x server process are you referring to?
# 5  
Old 11-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGPickett
Well, yes, I was talking about UNIX X Windows, not MS Windows, or has the meaning of x_server been diluted, and has nothing to do with X Windows?
Sorry about nit-picking but there is no such thing as "X Windows". There is "X" aka "X11" aka "X Window" (without s) aka "the X Window System".
# 6  
Old 11-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGPickett
Well, yes, I was talking about UNIX X Windows, not MS Windows, or has the meaning of x_server been diluted, and has nothing to do with X Windows? It can get confusing. What sort of x service or x server process are you referring to?

I found out some more info:

The user uses a GUI interface to access our AIX system. But our AIX server IPL's every week.

After each IPL in order for him to use the GUI we need to start the xserver service on our AIX server.

We can use the following command to start it:

su - lcdadm
x_server start

We would like to add this command to start in the inittab script each time our AIX server is IPL'd

Do you know how we would add this command to the end of our inittab

---------- Post updated at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:33 AM ----------

talked to IBM - added xserver start command to inittab script. Will see how that goes.
# 7  
Old 11-22-2010
Strange I thought xserver was added to inittab as a default during an AIX install.

At my company we use attachmate WRQ Reflection Suite, Reflection Terminal Emulation.

I also hear Host Explorer (formally Hummingbird) is popular too.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting week start date and end date based on custom period start dates

Below are my custom period start and end dates based on a calender, these dates are placed in a file, for each period i need to split into three weeks for each period row, example is given below. Could you please help out to achieve solution through shell script.. File content: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Howto auto boot SPARC | How to auto supply "start /SYS" and "start /SP/console" commands

When I power ON my T4-1, I got a prompt -> where I have to start /SYS and start /SP/console. How can I auto supply these two commands ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Start /SYS on SUN SPARC does not start machine [SUN SPARC ENTERPRISE T-5240]

-> start /SYS Are you sure you want to start /SYS (y/n)? y Starting /SYS ]-> show HOST /HOST Targets: bootmode diag domain Properties: autorestart = reset autorunonerror = false bootfailrecovery = poweroff ... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
29 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I replace the lines that start with a star and replace it with numbers start from 1?

I need to replace the (*) in the fist of a list with numbers using sed for example > this file contain a list * linux * computers * labs * questions to >>>> this file contain a list 1. linux 2. computers 3. labs 4. questions (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aalbazie
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start program in background (or start crontab ahead of time)

Hey! I'm working on a script that will add a user, create some configfiles, and add a crontab for the user. The crontab looks like the following: @reboot /home/user/program config.conf & I would like for this process to start at the end of my script under the corresponding username by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
0 Replies

7. AIX

Q: how to start a service when system start

As topic, assume we have a service called "blahservice" and we can start it by: startsrc -s blahservice what is the best practice to run such command when system start? - directly use mkitab to add it into /etc/inittab or - drop startup scripts in /etc/rc.d/rcX.d I know they... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acerlinux
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where Do I Start?

Hello All, I am interested in finding out information on where would I begin my quest to become a programmer. I am a 85% - 95% mac user and have somewhat of a technical background. I would like to develope programs for macs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Tnecius (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tnecius
1 Replies

9. Linux

where to put an application if i want to start it on start up

hi i want to know the way by which i put any file somewhere and it get s started when the system restarts or bots i mean whenever my system starts that application must also start thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shukla_chanchal
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I start a program when I start my Computer?

I'm running MAC OS X and I'm wondering how I start 'nixey programs (not normal apps) on startup? Things like the dnet client and hxd Hotline Server. Anyone know? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l008com
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question