Reverse complement

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reverse complement
Prev   Next
# 1  
Old 07-25-2015
Reverse complement

I want to reverse some DNA sequences and complement them at the same time. Thus, A changes to T; C to G; T to A and G to C.
example:
infile
Code:
>GHL8OVD01CMQVT SHORT1
TTGATGT
>GHL8OVD01CMQVT SHORT2
TTGATGT

outfile:
Code:
>GHL8OVD01CMQVT SHORT1
ACATCAA
>GHL8OVD01CMQVT SHORT2
ACATCAA

The Identifier (> XXXXX) should not be modified
This is the code I want to modify:
Code:
awk ' !(NR%2) ' infile | rev | tr ACGT TGCA

However, the Ids are not being printed. If I include NR%2, the Ids will also be reverse complemented
I know I can always use perl:
Code:
perl -nle'BEGIN {
  @map{ A, C, G, T } = ( T, G, C, A )
  }
  print /^>/ ?
    $_ :
      join //, map $map{ $_ }, split //, scalar reverse
  ' infile

But I am trying to simplify the script so I can explain it better

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse of a string

Hi All, I have a String str="Manish". I would like to reverse it. I know the option to do this in bash is: echo "Manish" | rev but I have seen an alternate solution somewhere, which states that: str="Manish" echo $str | awk '{ for(i=length($0);i>=1;i--) printf("%s",substr($0,i,1));... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reverse matching

Hello guys How can I use egrep to match word1 but not word2...word1. What I mean suppose that I have the following text, and my word1=pizza and word2=eat I hate to eat pizza because I ma eating it each day Pizza is good I like vegetarian and Italian Pizza eating healthy food is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fdc2suxs
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Two complement to double conversion

Is there a reuse code somewhere for conversion of two complement to a 64-bit double? Any pointer is greatly appreciated! GG (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NAVTime
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to reverse file

i am using AIX -ksh how can i reverse any file ,i have already try tac cmd it is not in AIX: please help me out. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

reverse an integer

i have created a script that will reverse any given ineter. #!/bin/ksh echo "Enter the number" read n if then a=`expr $n / 10` b=`expr $n % 10` c=`expr $b \* 10 + $a` fi echo $c --------------------------------------------------------------------- the problem with this script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reverse sort

Hello, How do i sort a csv file. i should be sorting column1(varchar),column2*(varchar) in ascending and column4 in descending order(numeric datatype). I tried few combinations of sort, but doesn't seem to be getting the right result. sort -t "," -k 1 -k 2 -k 4nr file any help is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: markjason
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse FTP

Hi Everybody, I want to write a script in unix which will automatically FTP a .txt file from my client machine D: drive(Windows) That is I want to FTP a file from my PC to UNIX box but this should be done from UNIX box by a shell script. (i.e. I will invoke the script in UNIX and FTP will be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh123
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

reverse of basename

Hi, Can someone let me know how to find the reverse of the basename i.e i have /apps/tiv/pmon/xxxx.dat and I want /apps/tiv/pmon/ Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse *

when I do $ ls z* List of all files begining with 'z'. But what if I want to do a reverse lookup. Just for interest sake ;) $ ls ztr should be same as $ ls ztr* $ ls zt* $ ls z* (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: azmathshaikh
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question