Psql replace blanks with character

Top Forums Programming Psql replace blanks with character
# 1  
Old 01-29-2013
Psql replace blanks with character

Well as the title describes, its a pretty straight forward problem. I have a series of psql tables where there are lots of blanks. However there is at least one column, called name, that will never be blank. I want to write a select statement to get all of the contents of the table and then turn blanks into a string like NULL. Here is my select statement idea, but I just don't have a strong enough grasp on how the statement should look:

SELECT name,date,value
FROM table
WHERE value=' ' print as "NULL";

I don't want to update the actual table, just print it without blanks. Obviously the above code doesn't work, but hopefully you get the idea. I appreciate the help.

Dave
# 2  
Old 01-29-2013
Use condition:
Code:
SELECT name,date,value FROM table where nvl(length(trim(value)),0)=0

to identify blank values.
# 3  
Old 01-29-2013
NVL isn't supported with psql according to what I've read, but your example keyed me in on how to use coalesce. This did the trick.

SELECT name,date,coalesce(value,0) FROM table;

Regards,

Dave
This User Gave Thanks to wxornot For This Post:
# 4  
Old 01-29-2013
Does it support "case when ... then ...."?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

How to replace value of password tag in xml with blanks when special characters are there?

Hi All, I am trying to replace the values inside <password> tag in an xml file but it doesn't replace certain passwords: For eg: Server/home/sperinc>cat TextXML.txt <appIds> <entry name="AccountXref"> <type id="ldap"> <realm>nam</realm> ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saroopkris85
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Replace certain character at specific place with related character

hello i have file with 100k records and each one has certain value that starts at 28th column and certain value that starts at 88th column e.g. 1st file <25>1234567 ..... <88> 8573785485 i have aditional file with values which are related to value that starts at 88th column of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell1520
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find character and Replace character for given position

Hi, i want find the character '-' in a file from position 284-298, if it occurs i need to replace it with 'O ' for the position in the file. How to do that using SED command. thanks in advance, Sara (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara183
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple occurances of same character with a single character.

Hi all, Greetings, I have the following scenario, The contents of main file are like : Unix|||||forum|||||||||||||||is||||||the||best so||||||be|||||on||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||it And i need the output in the following form: Unix=forum=is=the=best so=be=on=it ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace blanks with | (pipe)

Hello, I'm trying to replace the first x number of spaces in a line with a |. Right now I'm using a very inefficient syntax to accomplish the task and was looking to simplify it. I have several cases were the pipes need to replace just the first space on the line, which I did a simple... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bd_joy
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Sed how can I replace starting from the 7th character to the 15th character.

Hi All, Was wondering how I can do the following.... I have a String as follows "ACCTRL000005022RRWDKKEEDKDD...." This string can be in a file called tail.out or in a Variable called $VAR2 Now I have another variable called $VAR1="000004785" (9 bytes long), I need the content of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

psql output without return \n

Hi Everyone, When i finish running # echo `psql -t -U root databaseA -c "select a, b from book"`; i get the output 107275 | 14 107301 | 2 107446 | 6 107820 | 77 107929 | 101 Would like to have the result like: 107275 | 14 107301 | 2 107446 | 6 107820 | 77 107929 | 101 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple blanks within double quotes

I have various column names within double quotes, separated by commas. Example: "column one", "column number two", "this is column number three", anothercolumn, yetanothercolumn I need to eliminate the double quotes and replace the blanks within the double quotes by underscores, giving: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgrogan
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to access psql from perl script?

Hi All, How to access the postgreSQL from a perl script? Thanks in advance JS (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question