Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need a little help
Operating Systems Solaris Need a little help Post 99988 by trmn8r on Wednesday 22nd of February 2006 08:41:03 PM
Old 02-22-2006
A quick update to the situation....
I was finally able to load up Solaris on my HP Pavillion 750n, at the expense of Windows XP. I am still not sure how I was able to get it to work.
I had to set the NTFS partition to FAT32, before I could set the new partition to "Active" (and have it stay that way), but I wasn't able to get Boot Magic to run. I inserted the recovery disk for Partition Magic, but was not able to do much in the console mode (couldn't set the XP partition back - oh well, it was a sacraficial O/S to me anyway). When I exited the program, it tried to load from the blank partition and hung. I cycled the power on the PC and inserted the first Solaris CD into the drive, and low and behold, it started to install. It has been a nightmare over the last several days, but things are definitely looking better.
Thanks for the responses on this.

MBRLABEL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       MBRLABEL(8)

NAME
mbrlabel -- update disk label from MBR label(s) SYNOPSIS
mbrlabel [-fqrw] [-s sector] device DESCRIPTION
mbrlabel is used to update a NetBSD disk label from the Master Boot Record (MBR) label(s) found on disks that were previously used on DOS/Windows systems (or other MBR using systems). mbrlabel scans the MBR contained in the very first block of the disk (or the block specified through the -s flag), then walks through every extended partition found and generates additional partition entries for the disk from the MBRs found in those extended partitions. Each MBR partition which does not have an equivalent partition in the disk label (equivalent in having the same size and offset) is added to the first free partition slot in the disk label. A free partition slot is defined as one with an fstype of 'unused' and a size of zero ('0'). If there are not enough free slots in the disk label, a warning will be issued. The raw partition (typically partition c, but d on i386 and some other platforms) is left alone during this process. By default, the proposed changed disk label will be displayed and no disk label update will occur. Available options: -f Force an update, even if there has been no change. -q Performs operations in a quiet fashion. -r In conjunction with -w, also update the on-disk label. -s sector Specifies the logical sector number that has to be read from the disk in order to find the MBR. Useful if the disk has remapping drivers on it and the MBR is located in a non-standard place. Defaults to 0. -w Update the in-core label if it has been changed. See also -r. SEE ALSO
disklabel(8), dkctl(8), fdisk(8), mbr(8) HISTORY
The mbrlabel command appeared in NetBSD 1.4. BSD
April 5, 2010 BSD