Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Boot from cd-rom to access disk drives Post 99967 by xadamz23 on Wednesday 22nd of February 2006 05:37:59 PM
Old 02-22-2006
Ok,

I've managed to access internal disks when booting from cd-rom, but what I really need to do is access an external disk.

When I'm booted up in multi-user mode, the device name for the disk I need access to is /dev/rzb18c. When I boot from cd-rom, this device is not listed under /dev. I ran the following command to create the device:

/dev/MAKEDEV rzb18

Now there is a rzb18c listed under /dev so I do the following:

mkdir /etc/fdmns/clnc_domain
cd /etc/fdmns/clnc_domain
ln -s /dev/rzb18c

I use the following command to try and mount the disk:

mount -t advfs clnc_domain#clnc /var/mnt

...and I get an error that says something like bad address.

I was able to succesfully mount an internal disk after creating the entries in /etc/fdmns.

Am I missing some steps after the MAKEDEV?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to access my cd-rom in unix?

My os is freebsd. How can I access the cd-rom? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cantona
1 Replies

2. Linux

How to access WINDOWS drives from RED HAT 9???

Hello , I am using Red hat 9. I want to access the windows drives from my Linux. Can you please tell me the commands to mount those drives. Till now I am rebooting into windows, copying files into a pen drive and then again coming back to Red hat. help me please (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
7 Replies

3. Solaris

how to choose drives(dual boot)

Hi, and a very Happy New Year to all the members. I am new to unix.com. I wanted to install sunsolaris 10 and get dual boot it with Rhel5,WindowsXp. Problem is when it comes use the partition i am confused as to how to partition it or select a partition for Sun solaris. please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bunty82
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

how to distinguish dvd rom or hard disk

Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description ============================================================================ disk 0 0/0/2/0.0.0.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE EAC DVD-ROM DW-224EV /dev/dsk/c0t0d0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alert0919
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Flagged Drives Create Access Privilege Issues

Upon trying to open up permissions between 2 accounts in Snow Leopard I caused the os to crash - restarting/turning off then on did nothing - the os would no longer load. I took it into Apple where they got the os back up and running with a slight twist. The secondary drive was flagged (a little... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Ultra 5 will not boot from DVD ROM :(

Hi, I just got a new Ultra 5 and replaced the CD-ROM with an LG DVD-ROM (approved and listed in Sun HCL). Got the DVD-ROM installed to install Solaris 10. Im just learning and new to Solaris installation. When I insert a Solaris 10 DVD I see that it gets mounted and File Manager opens and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: greypilgrim
8 Replies

7. Solaris

How to boot from Cd-rom in Server Sunfire v250?

Howto boot from Cd-rom in Server Sunfire v250? The system can't boot because the filesystem is corrupt. The system say: run manually fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s5 But, I don't now how to make this. I tried use stop + a, but nothing hapend. Someone can I help? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigux
13 Replies

8. Debian

attempting to boot from cd rom

i just installed Debian Lenny on HP DL380. After the server rebooted, it still asks for me to insert a cd rom. where can I exactly check the settings for the boot menu? Should it use the hard disk since I didnt insert any cd? pls advise (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Trying to boot Solaris without hard drives in T5220

I have three Sun Oracle Netra T5220s. I am trying to just get the processor information psrinfo or prtdiag -v from the # prompt in single user mode. I am needing to know the commands to get to boot the CD/DVD of the Solaris OS. I am using it via Serial Port Management. Tinkering around I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nerdboy
4 Replies
HP(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     HP(4)

NAME
hp - RH-11/RP04, RP05, RP06 moving-head disk DESCRIPTION
The octal representation of the minor device number is encoded idp, where i is an interleave flag, d is a physical drive number, and p is a pseudodrive (subsection) within a physical unit. If i is 0, the origins and sizes of the pseudodisks on each drive, counted in cylinders of 418 512-byte blocks, are: disk start length 0 0 23 1 23 21 2 0 0 3 0 0 4 44 386 5 430 385 6 44 367 7 44 771 If i is 1, the minor device consists of the specified pseudodisk on drives numbered 0 through the designated drive number. Successively numbered blocks are distributed across the drives in rotation. Systems distributed for these devices use disk 0 for the root, disk 1 for swapping, and disk 4 (RP04/5) or disk 7 (RP06) for a mounted user file system. The block files access the disk via the system's normal buffering mechanism and may be read and written without regard to physical disk records. A `raw' interface provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A single read or write call results in exactly one I/O operation and therefore raw I/O is considerably more efficient when many words are transmitted. The names of the raw files conventionally begin with an extra `r.' In raw I/O the buffer must begin on a word boundary, and raw I/O to an interleaved device is likely to have disappointing results. FILES
/dev/rp?, /dev/rrp? SEE ALSO
rp(4) BUGS
In raw I/O read and write(2) truncate file offsets to 512-byte block boundaries, and write scribbles on the tail of incomplete blocks. Thus, in programs that are likely to access raw devices, read, write and lseek(2) should always deal in 512-byte multiples. Raw device drivers don't work on interleaved devices. HP(4)