Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming using a filepointer in a diffrent program Post 99205 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 15th of February 2006 12:12:47 PM
Old 02-15-2006
Yes, that was not correct - exec doesn't necessarily close file descriptors.

However I still don't understand what the OP is trying to achieve.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Diffrent versions of Unix/Linux

With so many diffrent flavors out there, how is a person soposed to know what to go with? I'm not asking for specific discussion here in this forum, but I would like to see various pages and articles dicsussing the pluses and minuses of various unix/linux OS's. I have been searching various... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MorderKartoffel
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Diffrent IP range connectivity

Hi guys, We have different IP ranges in our LAN, for instance my system IP Add. is in 163.183.37.x range, in the meantime i wish to connect to our printer/plotter which is 163.183.4.x & our LAN in another location with 163.183.38.x. What shoul i do except defining pesudo IP Add's? as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikk
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reconstructing a record in a diffrent order

Can sed be used to take a existing record and reverse the order of defined character placement if there is no delimeters? existing record: 0123456789CO expected result: 9876543210CO if there were delimeters I could define the delimeter and each placement would have an id which I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r1500
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

diffrent results between command line and scripted grep

When I type a command at the command line it supplies one result and the exact same command in a script egrep '^01|^02|^03|^04' file > fileout count = 29353 same count in the script yields a count of 23492 is there any reason this could be happening. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r1500
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a sheel script to compare no of file on diffrent servers

i have serverA and serverB and i have a folder with same name an location in both servers.... Now i want to compare files in folder(serverA) with folder (serverB) if there are files missing in folderB then copy those files from folder(serverA) to folder(serverB) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashahzad
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

samba fileshare across 2 diffrent workgroup

Hi im trying to configure samba on linux server so win client can access the shared files but my win client is on diffrent domain , we recently changed our domain name but not for certain servers... i guess the samba linux server is still part of our sub domain which is why i still can access... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: halacil
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Diffrent output in cron jobs

Hi, I have issue with cron. When i run script manually output is fine but when i add it to cron output file is not as same. both file attach some junk charecter comming in cron output. thanx Jignesh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkmistry
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed diffrent replace by occurrence

I couldn't find the answer anywhere, so I hope you could help me. I need to change something like the following: something/bla/aaaa anything/bbb to: something --bla ----aaaa anything --bbb How do I do this? Is it possible with sed? I tried various patterns, but don't know how to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Patwan
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy-pasted code behaves diffrent

Heyas I'm currently attempting to apply the code of tui-select to tui-list. That is because tui-list simply made a 1 string list, while tui-select uses dynamicly up to 3 strings per line. Anyway, so i copy pasted the code, and just made the changes marked with red.... Know that both scripts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to add field to diffrent file using shellscript? or awk

hi, would you help me? i have file total.csv "a","e23","f" "b,"34d","g" "c","45f","f" "d","45s","f" count.csv 3 i do this : paste -d',",' total.csv count.csv but the result like this: "a,"e23","f" 3 "b,"34d","g" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kivale
1 Replies
getpid(2)							   System Calls 							 getpid(2)

NAME
getpid, getpgrp, getppid, getpgid - get process, process group, and parent process IDs SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> pid_t getpid(void); pid_t getpgrp(void); pid_t getppid(void); pid_t getpgid(pid_t pid); DESCRIPTION
The getpid() function returns the process ID of the calling process. The getpgrp() function returns the process group ID of the calling process. The getppid() function returns the parent process ID of the calling process. The getpgid() function returns the process group ID of the process whose process ID is equal to pid, or the process group ID of the calling process, if pid is equal to 0. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return the process group ID. Otherwise, getpgid() returns (pid_t)-1 and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The getpgid() function will fail if: EPERM The process whose process ID is equal to pid is not in the same session as the calling process, and the implementation does not allow access to the process group ID of that process from the calling process. ESRCH There is no process with a process ID equal to pid. The getpgid() function may fail if: EINVAL The value of the pid argument is invalid. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
intro(2), exec(2), fork(2), getsid(2), setpgid(2), setpgrp(2), setsid(2), signal(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 28 Dec 1996 getpid(2)