Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to look for data in a file (not that simple) ... Post 99103 by gseyforth on Tuesday 14th of February 2006 05:34:09 PM
Old 02-14-2006
Error Script to look for data in a file (not that simple) ...

I'm looking for a script or program that would allow me to pass a pattern to it and give me locations on where text appears in a file. I wish it was that straight forward (I would use egrep or something)

Say I have the word in my text file "SUDAN" but my user does a search for "SUDANESE". Grep doesn't help me. The other way round would work
but I'm dealing with text files that are huge. I'm also looking for something
that could do a "sounds-like" too -- but not a major issue.

Can someone help me out? Is there a program out there or script I can
buy? O/S is SCO.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple file checking script

Hi, I have a really, what I hope is, simple question. I'm looking for a simple way to see whether a file exists or not and then perform an action based on whether it exists or not. An example of what I tried is as follows: if then { echo "File mysql exists" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: _Spare_Ribs_
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Find file Script.....

Im trying to make a very simple find the first file with the .zip extension in a specific folder and open that file. The folder path and file name will vary every-time and it may contain spaces. If I try to look For this example the folder directory is /Users/username/Desktop/testfolder/abc... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbombillo
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script to modify kickstart file

Hi, I would like to create a script so that it will ask me the following: 1) What is the ip address? 2) What is the gateway address? 3) What is the hostname? and then put the answer to the below kickstart file (kickstart.cfg) Here I included the kickstart.cfg: # Kickstart file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: beeloo
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running a simple script file with multiple commands

I'm trying to run a script file with multiple commands that I would normally type into the command line. The commands are: #!/bin/bash diff Test1.o0 /usr3/ronelso4/Desktop/verificationKPC/Test1.o0 > differences2 diff Test1a.o0 /usr3/ronelso4/Desktop/verificationKPC/Test1a.o0 >> differences2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knelson
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple open remote file script

I use Rsync to copy files to a remote folder in a command like this rsync -aNPHAXxrvh --protect-args --fileflags --force-change --delete $file user@remotehost:/Volumes/backup That works great with passwordless key exchange ;) Now I'm trying to open a remote file using this command ssh -q... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbombillo
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple shell script to find and print data

Hi, I have a log file containing data on emails sent. Looks a bit like this for one email: Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Date: 12 Jun 2008 14:04:59 +0100 From: from@email.com Subject: xcf4564xzcv To: recip@email.co.uk Size = 364 Jun 12 14:04 smtp_234sldfh.tmp I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: terry2009
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create a simple bash backup script of a file

This is the problem: Write a script that will make a backup of a file giving it a ‘.bak’ extension & verify that it works. I have tried a number of different scripts that haven't worked and I haven't seen anything really concise and to the point via google. For brevity's sake this is one of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demet8
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP simple script to find e-mail address on a file

Hello guys, im new to to unix/linux i have a text file like this: person1@test.com iisiiasasas person2@test.com 123w2 3233 sajsja person3@test.com jsajjsa sajsjasaj person4@test.com I want to extract only e-mail address and get rid of all other stuff, i want an output like this ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RazorMX
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

In PErl script: need to read the data one file and generate multiple files based on the data

We have the data looks like below in a log file. I want to generat files based on the string between two hash(#) symbol like below Source: #ext1#test1.tale2 drop #ext1#test11.tale21 drop #ext1#test123.tale21 drop #ext2#test1.tale21 drop #ext2#test12.tale21 drop #ext3#test11.tale21 drop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
5 Replies
Test::Script(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Test::Script(3)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.18.2 2009-11-23 Test::Script(3)