Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rename file with whitespace embedded Post 99077 by stobo on Tuesday 14th of February 2006 11:36:56 AM
Old 02-14-2006
here is oneliner

bash> for i in `find . -name '* *' | tr -d './' | tr ' ' '~'`; do mv "$(echo $i| tr '~' ' ')" "$(echo $i | tr '~' '_')"; done

assuming there is no "~" in the filenames

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

embedded exe file into rtf file

Hi All I want a method in shell script which will embed the exe file into rtf file si that the rtf file can be open in word and so my exe. Actually what is happening in my system at present : The report in my system is a self-extracting Zip file with filetype '.EXE'. Double clicking... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rawatds
1 Replies

2. AIX

Unix shell scripting to find latest file having timestamp embedded...

Hi guys, I have a directory in UNIX having files with the below format, i need to pickup the latest file having recent timestamp embedded on it, then need to rename it to a standard file name. Below is the file format: filename_yyyymmdd.csv, i need to pick the latest and move it with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik25
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing whitespace from middle of file -help

I have a file in which I clean out a bunch of nonsense text as well as path information. What I end up with is something like the following: johnson.........................................................933 Where the periods represent the whitespace The file comes out originally with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roninuta
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files listed in a text file - whitespace problem.

Hi, Say I have this text file <copy.out> that contains a list of files/directories to be copied out to a different location. $ more copy.out dir1/file1 dir1/file2 dir1/file3 "dir1/white space" dir1/file4 If I do the following: $copy=`more copy.out` $echo $copy dir1/file1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 60doses
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Embedded Newline from Delimited File

Hey there - a bit of background on what I'm trying to accomplish, first off. I am trying to load the data from a pipe delimited file into a database. The loading tool that I use cannot handle embedded newline characters within a field, so I need to scrub them out. Solutions that I have tried... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbetteridge
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Minimum whitespace separated CSV file generation

Hi, I have a flat text file consisting of rows (each field separated by '|') from a table. e.g; NSW|Gulliver Travels|236||5000|BW This has to be converted to the following format NSW "Gulliver Travels" 236 5000 BW No data field has to be left as a blank character so that we have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vharsha
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to match (whitespace digits whitespace) sequence?

Hi Following is an example line. echo "192.22.22.22 \"33dffwef\" 200 300 dsdsd" | sed "s:\(\ *\ \):\1:" I want it's output to be 200 However this is not the case. Can you tell me how to do it? I don't want to use AWK for this. Secondly, how can i fetch just 300? Should I use "\2"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahanali
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace last line of file in memory via embedded command?

Further to my earlier question regarding embedded commands I now want to delete then replace the last line in a file in memory.... FILEHERE=$((echo "$FILEHERE" | sed -e '$d' ) echo "this now added") this is throwing a syntax error but as I'm still getting used to this structure I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting two perl scripts together... triming whitespace off of recently parsed file

Thanks to people's help, I have composed a single line within a .sh script that Ports a file into a csv: perl -p -i -e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astrocloud
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename specific file extension in directory with match to another file in bash

I have a specific set (all ending with .bam) of downloaded files in a directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/2-15-2016. What I am trying to do is use a match to $2 in name to rename the downloaded files. To make things a more involved the date of the folder is unique and in the header of name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies
GUARDS(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 GUARDS(1)

NAME
guards - select from a list of files guarded by conditions SYNOPSIS
guards [--prefix=dir] [--path=dir2:dir2:...] [--default=0|1] [-v|--invert-match] [--list|--check] [--config=file] symbol ... DESCRIPTION
The script reads a configuration file that may contain so-called guards, file names, and comments, and writes those file names that satisfy all guards to standard output. The script takes a list of symbols as its arguments. Each line in the configuration file is processed separately. Lines may start with a number of guards. The following guards are defined: +xxx Include the file(s) on this line if the symbol xxx is defined. -xxx Exclude the file(s) on this line if the symbol xxx is defined. +!xxx Include the file(s) on this line if the symbol xxx is not defined. -!xxx Exclude the file(s) on this line if the symbol xxx is not defined. - Exclude this file. Used to avoid spurious --check messages. The guards are processed left to right. The last guard that matches determines if the file is included. If no guard is specified, the --default setting determines if the file is included. If no configuration file is specified, the script reads from standard input. The --check option is used to compare the specification file against the file system. If files are referenced in the specification that do not exist, or if files are not enlisted in the specification file warnings are printed. The --path option can be used to specify which directory or directories to scan. Multiple directories are eparated by a colon (":") character. The --prefix option specifies the location of the files. AUTHOR
Andreas Gruenbacher <agruen@suse.de> (SuSE Linux AG) perl v5.12.1 2010-07-05 GUARDS(1)