Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Read/write locks within and between processes. Can you help? Post 98964 by adamb on Monday 13th of February 2006 10:42:32 AM
Old 02-13-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
You want write-execlusive locking, correct?
Otherwise read-shared locking.
I need read-write locks of the kind described by Butenhof in his "Programming with Posix Threads" book. These provide read-shared and write-exclusive access to a resource (not at the same time, naturally) within a process. I need to extend this concept to multiple processes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how i write script to create 30 processes

helo i make one process for com port . in that i create two thread one for reading data and another for writing data to com port. now i want to write a script which create 30 processes for handling 30 com port. is it good solution for handling 30 com port. Thx & Regards, Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

Read/kill processes

Hi, I read a set of processes with: ps -eaf|grep oracleTRLV The result is: oracle 23253 1 0 15:14:11 ? 0:00 oracleTRLV (LOCAL=NO) oracle 23301 1 0 15:15:07 ? 0:00 oracleTRLV (LOCAL=NO) oracle 22914 1 0 15:11:19 ? 0:00 oracleTRLV (LOCAL=NO) How to I kill the "oracleTRLV" ones? Is there... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: NicoMan
17 Replies

4. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

write() / read() syntax

hi am newbie to unix and socket programing I am trying to figuring out syntax for read and write to send data from server to client and client can read it I have to send two integers write(newsockfd,buffer,"%d %d",x,y,0) writing from client where x and y are two integers.. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik1238
7 Replies

6. Programming

help with write-read locks inter-process

I need help!Many Thanks! Now,I try to manage the shared memory inter-process . Inevitably,I have to deal with the synchronous. I know the pthread_rwlock in posix,and I compile ,then run successfully in Red Hat Enterprise 4. I have a doubt about whether the Posix supports the system such as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: weizh
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multiple processes write to log file at the same time

If we have 3 process to write to same log file at the same time like below. will it cause the data outdated because the multiple process writing same time? It this a safe way to keep the log for multiple process? p1 >> test.log &; p2 >> test.log &; p3 >> test.log & Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: casttree
1 Replies

8. Programming

Need help about read() and write() on TCP/IP

HI I need to implement a client/server TCP application. the customer is the client and the bartender is the server. When the customer enter the Bar, client connects to the server Server should reply the client immediately. Other wise if the server is busy, it should send an update message... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lixiao1212
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Read and Write

I have got a file in following format: AAAAAAA BBBBBBBB CCCCCCC DDDDDDD I am trying to read this file and out put it in following format: AAAAAAA,BBBBBBB,CCCCCCC,DDDDDD Preferred method is shell or Perl. Any help appreciated. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Araoki
11 Replies

10. Programming

FIFO write and read

Can someone help me to write this program in C in QNX? Using the FIFO queues write a simple communication system consisting of programs write and read. The program write the parameters given strings enclosed in single quotes. These strings are written to the FIFO file. Reads the program read... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ebasse2
1 Replies
FLOCK(2)							System Calls Manual							  FLOCK(2)

NAME
flock - apply or remove an advisory lock on an open file SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/file.h> #define LOCK_SH 1 /* shared lock */ #define LOCK_EX 2 /* exclusive lock */ #define LOCK_NB 4 /* don't block when locking */ #define LOCK_UN 8 /* unlock */ flock(fd, operation) int fd, operation; DESCRIPTION
Flock applies or removes an advisory lock on the file associated with the file descriptor fd. A lock is applied by specifying an operation parameter that is the inclusive or of LOCK_SH or LOCK_EX and, possibly, LOCK_NB. To unlock an existing lock operation should be LOCK_UN. Advisory locks allow cooperating processes to perform consistent operations on files, but do not guarantee consistency (i.e., processes may still access files without using advisory locks possibly resulting in inconsistencies). The locking mechanism allows two types of locks: shared locks and exclusive locks. At any time multiple shared locks may be applied to a file, but at no time are multiple exclusive, or both shared and exclusive, locks allowed simultaneously on a file. A shared lock may be upgraded to an exclusive lock, and vice versa, simply by specifying the appropriate lock type; this results in the previous lock being released and the new lock applied (possibly after other processes have gained and released the lock). Requesting a lock on an object that is already locked normally causes the caller to be blocked until the lock may be acquired. If LOCK_NB is included in operation, then this will not happen; instead the call will fail and the error EWOULDBLOCK will be returned. NOTES
Locks are on files, not file descriptors. That is, file descriptors duplicated through dup(2) or fork(2) do not result in multiple instances of a lock, but rather multiple references to a single lock. If a process holding a lock on a file forks and the child explicitly unlocks the file, the parent will lose its lock. Processes blocked awaiting a lock may be awakened by signals. RETURN VALUE
Zero is returned if the operation was successful; on an error a -1 is returned and an error code is left in the global location errno. ERRORS
The flock call fails if: [EWOULDBLOCK] The file is locked and the LOCK_NB option was specified. [EBADF] The argument fd is an invalid descriptor. [EINVAL] The argument fd refers to an object other than a file. SEE ALSO
open(2), close(2), dup(2), execve(2), fork(2) 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 22, 1986 FLOCK(2)