Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Random number generation
Top Forums Programming Random number generation Post 98945 by tej.buch on Monday 13th of February 2006 08:29:49 AM
Old 02-13-2006
Random number generation

Hi...How can I generate random numbers between a given range ...preferably between 1 and 100...in UNIX C programming...?

I tried out functions like rand(),drand48() etc but didnt get satisfactory results...

Thanks a lot in advance..........

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SQL Loader Auto Number Generation

Hi all, I have a doubt in SQL Loader. We have SEQUENCE function in SQL Loader or can create Sequence in Oracle database for generating a number sequence for a column while loading data using SQL Loader into table or multiple tables. My requirment is this. For the first run in SQL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinoth_kumar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Random number generation in ksh

I need to generate a random number in ksh everytime I run the script ,the range should be from 100 to 24800,I could use $RANDOM but I seem to have no control over the range of numbers ,could you please suggest some way I could implement this .Thanks. Mervin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mervin2006
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sequence number generation on a key column

Hi Folks, Can you help me with this issue: I have to generate the numbers say from 1001 for each record in a file based on a key field, the catch is the generated number should be unique based on key column. (EMP_NUMBER) Example: Input File: EMP_NUMBER EMP_NAME 8908 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding Random Number Genration

HI please help me in solving this issue. I have a shell script which consists of ten statemnts ( i mean 10 executable statments)...........and if i run that script the 10 statmenst will execute continously ............ But now my probelm is i have to write another script --> to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitka
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random NUmbers Generation with out repetation

Hi I have the below code MAXCOUNT=10 count=1 echo echo "$MAXCOUNT random numbers:" echo "-----------------" while # Generate 10 ($MAXCOUNT) random integers. do number=$ + 1 ] "echo $number" let "count += 1" # Increment count. done But aftre executing this ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitka
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

random number generation in ksh

i tried to use $random function in unix i simply typed print $random at shell and it returnted no value is there any function in korn shell that i can use to generate random number help is appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_zeeshan05
2 Replies

7. Programming

Random number is not reused

I need to generate and reuse a 5 digit random number every time my program is executed. But the following generates random numbers every time the function is called. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <string.h> #include <time.h> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: limmer
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random word generation with AWK

Hi - I have a word GTTCAGAGTTCTACAGTCCGACGAT I need to extract all the possible "chunks" of 7 or above letter "words" from this. SO, my out put should be GTTCAGA TTCAGAG TCAGAGT CAGAGTTCT TCCGACGAT CAGTCCGACG etc. How can I do that with awk or any other language? I have no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
2 Replies

9. Programming

random number

How can I choose randomly the row numbers of my file in awk? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
4 Replies

10. AIX

Random password generation

Hello, I have created a script to generate a random password on Linux/Solaris, but I simply cannot use it on my AIX VMs since Bash isn't installed on them. I need a password that is randomly created with the following... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfroute
12 Replies
rand(3C)																  rand(3C)

NAME
rand(), rand_r(), srand() - simple random-number generator SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
uses a multiplicative, congruential, random-number generator with period 2^32 that returns successive pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to 2^15-1. can be called at any time to reset the random-number generator to a random starting point. The generator is initially seeded with a value of 1. returns a random number at the address pointed to by the randval parameter. The seed parameter can be set at any time to start the random- number generator at an arbitrary point. Note The spectral properties of leave a great deal to be desired. provides a much better, though more elaborate, random-number generator (see drand48(3C)). RETURN VALUE
If seed or randval is NULL, returns 0. Otherwise, returns a psuedo-random integer. EXAMPLES
The following: int x, y; srand(10); x = rand(); y = rand(); would produce the same results as: int x, y, s = 10; x=rand_r(&s); y=rand_r(&s); WARNINGS
Users of should note that rand_r() now conforms with POSIX.1c. The old prototype of is supported for compatibility with existing DCE applications only. SEE ALSO
drand48(3C), random(3M), thread_safety(5), random(7). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
rand(3C)