Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Routing
Special Forums IP Networking Routing Post 9870 by eNTer on Monday 5th of November 2001 07:08:51 AM
Old 11-05-2001
Re: Routing

You can assign to a network card multiple addresses in a manner like that [on FreeBSD 4.x]:
ifconfig xl0 alias 192.168.0.32 [netmask 255.255.255.224]
ifconfig xl0 alias 192.168.0.64 [netmask 255.255.255.224]

If you want that your machine to have at next boot configured the specified network card with multiple IP addresses edit the /etc/rc.conf file and add a line like this for every IP:
ifconfig_interface_name_alias0 192.168.0.1 netmask [netmask]
ifconfig_interface_name_alias1 .... & so on

Quote:
Originally posted by DevilGREEN
Yes, this is what i want to say

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Routing

I have SCO Unix. I have 2 routers. as it is now, when someone telnets to UNIX and goes through router #1 everything is fine. The users who go through router #2 can not connect at all. I talked to CISCO and they said I need to set up a second Gateway on UNIX. They said what is happening is that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john fli
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

routing

Can anyone help with the following; I am working on a unix server (Apple OS X Server). We have two network cards in the server. Both cards are on different subnets i.e en1 is on 192.168.10.10/24 and the built in ethernet is on 10.10.150.10/24. From a computer plugged into en1 (and set to ip... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrthrt
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

routing

Hi, in which file and how shuold be decalred a gateway and its IP adresse ? Where and how add a gateway ? Many thanks before. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

4. Linux

Routing

Hello Friends I have two network cards eth0 192.168.100.1 eth1 10.0.0.1 There NIC connect with diff. LAN I want to make my Linux machine as a Router, Please tell me using IPTABLES command ROUTE command :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaibw
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

IP Routing

I am using RedHat Linux 9, In this box their are two lan intefaces. eth0 ====> LAN 192.168.100.100 255.255.255.0 eth1 ====> Internet Static IP 255.255.255.0 59.144.168.226 (Gateway) I want to define a gateway 59.144.168.226 for my LAN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaibw
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Routing tables

Hey guys, I needed to add a route to my routing table and I got it to work but on reboot it gets removed. Anyone know what file I can add this route to so it stays on the machine after a reboot? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
9 Replies

7. IP Networking

Routing table

Hi all, I am confusing with routing table, i use linux and iptables. i have 1 internet gateway, and 1 router for VPN. here is my network. eth0=192.168.0.1 eth1=192.168.100.1 192.168.0.0/24 --- eth0(Linux Box)eth1 ---(DSL)---Internet | ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
4 Replies

8. IP Networking

Proper routing

I have a series of new machines that are internet facing (have IP's that are accessible via the 'net) and it has internal facing interfaces. I need to be able to communicate back to the internal network to a specific server which processes monitoring and e-mail traffic. I've been told that I should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX 5.3 Routing

Hey all you *Nix Gurus...I got a relatively simple one for ya. I just cloned an AIX 5.3 server without copy over the Network info. However, now I need to update the routing table on the destination server so that it mirrors the source. Aside from painstakingly, manually updating the ODM using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BlitzSonik
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about realloc routing

#include <malloc.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> int* allocat_array(void) { int *array; int tmp; int n_values = 0 ; array = malloc(sizeof(int)); if(array == NULL) return NULL; while(scanf("%d",&tmp) != EOF) { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vincent__tse
1 Replies
IPROUTE(3)						     Library Functions Manual							IPROUTE(3)

NAME
iproute - Internet route table manager SYNOPSIS
bind -a #P /net /net/iproute /net/ipifc DESCRIPTION
The iproute device allows the specification of routes for families of IP addresses. It maintains a kernel-resident routing table for IP addresses used by TCP, IL and UDP. Each route consists of a destination IP address, an IP mask, and an IP gateway address. Every packet sent by the system is routed according to the route table. An address matches the route table entry when a packet's destination address matches the table destination address under the mask. When a match is found, the packet is sent to the gateway IP address. If there is no match, the packet is sent with the original destination address. If there are several matches, the one whose mask has the fewest leading zeros is chosen. (Because of the definition of IP masks, this mask preserves the largest portion of the address and is therefore the most specific.) This is forced by storing the routes in decreasing number of ones order and returning the first match. The default gateway has no ones in the mask and is thus the last matched. Reading iproute reports the current routes entered in the table. Writing control messages to iproute edits the table. Route entries are made by writing a string of format add ipdest mask ipgateway Entries are deleted by writing a string of format delete ipdest mask The whole table can be cleared by writing the string For example, to install a gateway address to accept all IP packets from a machine: % echo 'add 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 131.107.1.5' > /net/iproute % cat /net/iproute 0.0.0.0 & 0.0.0.0 -> 131.107.1.5 Reading ipifc reports the current IP interfaces being used, one line per interface, showing the device, the maximum transfer unit, the local address, the network mask, and the network address. SOURCE
/sys/src/9/port/deviproute.c SEE ALSO
ip(3), ipconfig(8) IPROUTE(3)