Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: VAriable Question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting VAriable Question Post 98273 by rjsha1 on Tuesday 7th of February 2006 06:44:02 AM
Old 02-07-2006
VAriable Question

hi there,
In my shell script I'm using a variable $ICO to speicfy the type of file that I'm processing e.g. VFR = France.

further in my shell I'm trying to programatically set the sql file thtat I want to run :-

REPORTTXT=/tmp/$ICO3hr.dat

however when I check the value (as below) :-

echo "Report file is $REPORTTXT"

it returns

Report file is /tmp/.dat

What am I forgetting to do folks ??????

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

variable initialize question

I have a question about C program for Unix: Do we have to intialize every variable before we use them in C? I thought we have to untill I found some programs are not intialize the variable before they were used. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick Variable Question

Hi, this is probably very easy but, how do I define a variable for more than one line. For example: var1='more than one line' when I call it, I want it to be exactly like this, don't want all the words on the same line. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: starks
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question On Command in Variable

I have been working on a script that executes on a number of different operating systems. As a result I was trying to set a variable or perhaps variable array depending on the OS. I tried the following using eval and such but so far have not had any luck. Is there a way to do something like the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another variable question, I think

So seems only way I'm going to learn is by asking. In the following and I can tell you that $ENV=384: grep $ENV $TSH/ftp/some.files | while read ELABEL EENV EFILE RFILE do if ]; then rm -ef ${RFILE}* else rm -ef ${EFILE}* fi done In the some.files : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable question

Hi i have two question 1. Yahoo! In above there are total three words 1.1. www 1.2. yahoo 1.3 com how can i take all three things in different variable, i dont understand that how to separate dot. it looks like that a=www b=yahoo c=com 2. i have variable xyz whois value... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing a variable Question

I have a variable: $FILENAME = /XXXX/XXXX/XXXX/file.dat I want to set another variable that will give me this: $FILENAME2=filea.dat So basically i'm chopping up variable $FILENAME. Not sure cut will do this as i'm looking at different directories so the characther length may be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

7. Infrastructure Monitoring

multiple variable question

This is the control File (snmplist.fl1) .1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.2.3 = STRING: "/vol/vol0/" .1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.2.5 = STRING: "/vol/SMP_sapdata/" .1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.2.7 = STRING: "/vol/SMP_saplog/" .1.3.6.1.4.1.789.1.5.4.1.2.9 = STRING: "/vol/SRP_saplog/"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: riegersteve
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable to command to Variable Question KSH

Hello, First post for Newbie as I am stumped. I need to get certain elements for a specific PID from the ps command. I am attempting to pass the value for the PID I want to retrieve the information for as a variable. When the following is run without using a variable, setting a specific PID,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Coyote270WSM
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk variable question

Hi, I'm trying to replace a string with the contents of a file.. I found the below thread that shows how to do this but is there any way to use a variable as the file name in the nawk command?.. When I try I get an error saying while read groupsvar do ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[QUESTION] echoing a variable

Hi...I am trying to make a script like this: mmc=123 echo "$mmc" > 123.txt The variable "mmc" has to be declared right on the beginning of the script, so when I open 123.txt, I get: 123 My question is, how can I "echo" '$mmc' into 123.txt, retaining the '$mmc' phrase? Which means when... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryuinferno
10 Replies
MKTEMP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 MKTEMP(1)

NAME
mktemp -- make temporary file name (unique) SYNOPSIS
mktemp [-d] [-q] [-u] template DESCRIPTION
The mktemp utility takes the given file name template and overwrites a portion of it to create a file name. This file name is unique and suitable for use by the application. The template may be any file name with at least 6 of 'Xs' appended to it, for example /tmp/temp.XXXXXX. The trailing 'Xs' are replaced with the current process number and/or a unique letter combination. The number of unique file names mktemp can return depends on the number of 'Xs' provided; six 'Xs' will result in mktemp testing roughly 26 ** 6 combinations. If mktemp can successfully generate a unique file name, the file is created with mode 0600 (unless the -u flag is given) and the filename is printed to standard output. OPTIONS
The available options are as follows: -d Make a directory instead of a file. -q Fail silently if an error occurs. This is useful if a script does not want error output to go to standard error. -u Operate in ``unsafe'' mode. The temp file will be unlinked before mktemp exits. This is slightly better than mktemp(3) but still introduces a race condition. Use of this option is not encouraged. RETURN VALUES
The mktemp utility exits with a value of 0 on success, and 1 on failure. EXAMPLES
The following sh(1) fragment illustrates a simple use of mktemp where the script should quit if it cannot get a safe temporary file. TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/$0.XXXXXX` || exit 1 echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE In this case, we want the script to catch the error itself. TMPFILE=`mktemp -q /tmp/$0.XXXXXX` if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then echo "$0: Can't create temp file, exiting..." exit 1 fi Note that one can also check to see that $TMPFILE is zero length instead of checking $?. This would allow the check to be done later one in the script (since $? would get clobbered by the next shell command). SEE ALSO
mkstemp(3), mktemp(3) HISTORY
The mktemp utility appeared in OpenBSD. BSD
November, 20, 1996 BSD