Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: output of the time command ?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users output of the time command ? Post 98057 by Perderabo on Sunday 5th of February 2006 04:15:18 PM
Old 02-05-2006
The 0+0k and the 0+0io probably indicate that those fields cannot be obtained on your unix system (possibly your process performed no i/o, but it certainly used some memory). The 1904pf is the page faults and you need to understand your systems virtual memory before you can really interpret that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command display output on console and simultaneously save the command and its output

Hi folks, Please advise which command/command line shall I run; 1) to display the command and its output on console 2) simultaneous to save the command and its output on a file I tried tee command as follows; $ ps aux | grep mysql | tee /path/to/output.txt It displayed the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Differences between time command and usr/bin/time

I wondered if someone could point out the differences between the time commmand and usr/bin/time and the accuracy one might have over another. Also, is there a website or two a person could maybe link for me to describe the differences? Thank you for your time. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: icedrake
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to avoid time command output

Hi, I have 2 queries 1 .when I run some unix command, I am getting the output of "time" at std output (screen) for eg zegrep <pattern> *.v.gz I almost found the reason but not sure, if the no of files matching *.v.gz is more then I am getting the time command output at the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvaka
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing output of "time" command to a variable

Hi all, I am new to Linux/shell scripting having moderate knowledge. In my script, I need to get execution time of a command (say 'ls') in mili seconds level. For this i tried using "time" command to retrieve the total execution time in milli seconds. But, the problem is that, how to save... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: happening_linux
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect time command output to file (cygwin bash)

I have set up a bash script to run a long list of things that I need to time. I would like to redirect the output of time to a file. I have set it up like, echo "Runtimes for servlet 4, 100K structures" > test_times.txt echo "" >> test_times.txt echo "runs where N=10" >> test_times.txt echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Find command output gives one day before time stamp

Hi All, I am listing the files which are 4 hours older. For this first I have creted a dummy file with the 4 hours before timestamp, then I am using the below find command, find /path/ -type f ! -newer 4_hours_oledr_file -exec ls -lrt {} \; I am getting the files which are older than... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: velava
13 Replies

7. Red Hat

Command understanding the output file destination in case of standard output!!!!!

I ran the following command. cat abc.c > abc.c I got message the following message from command cat: cat: abc.c : input file is same as the output file How the command came to know of the destination file name as the command is sending output to standard file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time field showing Zero in ps command output

F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME COMD 401 S catmgr 5748 5742 0 154 20 e0000006d48cd080 133 e0000003fb6e7200 11:22:32 ? 0:00 /opt/ssh/libexec/sftp-server 3401 R catmgr 5742 5631 0 152 20 e0000005f974fa00 750 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomG
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert title as output of command to appended file if no output from command

I am using UNIX to create a script on our system. I have setup my commands to append their output to an outage file. However, some of the commands return no output and so I would like something to take their place. What I need The following command is placed at the prompt: TICLI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send output of time command to file

I am measuring the time it takes for a wget command to complete. Right now my command is: time wget https://`ifconfig -a | grep '32.29.120' | cut -d: -f2 | cut -d' ' -f1`:8443/primary-rest/shop?brandId=test --header="name: test" --no-check-certificate -o SELF_TEST.log The output I get is ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
2 Replies
MLOCK(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							  MLOCK(2)

NAME
mlock, munlock -- lock (unlock) physical pages in memory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mman.h> int mlock(const void *addr, size_t len); int munlock(const void *addr, size_t len); DESCRIPTION
The mlock system call locks a set of physical pages into memory. The pages are associated with a virtual address range that starts at addr and extends for len bytes. The munlock call unlocks pages that were previously locked by one or more mlock calls. For both calls, the addr parameter should be aligned to a multiple of the page size. If the len parameter is not a multiple of the page size, it will be rounded up to be so. The entire range must be allocated. After an mlock call, the indicated pages will cause neither a non-resident page nor address-translation fault until they are unlocked. They may still cause protection-violation faults or TLB-miss faults on architectures with software-managed TLBs. The physical pages remain in memory until all locked mappings for the pages are removed. Multiple processes may have the same physical pages locked via their own virtual address mappings. Similarly, a single process may have pages multiply-locked via different virtual mappings of the same pages or via nested mlock calls on the same address range. Unlocking is performed explicitly by munlock or implicitly by a call to munmap, which deallocates the unmapped address range. Locked mappings are not inherited by the child process after a fork(2). Because physical memory is a potentially scarce resource, processes are limited in how much memory they can lock down. A single process can mlock the minimum of a system-wide ``wired pages'' limit and the per-process RLIMIT_MEMLOCK resource limit. RETURN VALUES
A return value of 0 indicates that the call succeeded and all pages in the range have either been locked or unlocked, as requested. A return value of -1 indicates an error occurred and the locked status of all pages in the range remains unchanged. In this case, the global location errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
mlock() and munlock() will fail if: [EINVAL] The address given is not page-aligned or the length is negative. [ENOMEM] Part or all of the specified address range is not mapped to the process. mlock() will fail if: [EAGAIN] Locking the indicated range would exceed either the system or per-process limit for locked memory. [ENOMEM] Some portion of the indicated address range is not allocated. There was an error faulting/mapping a page. munlock() will fail if: [ENOMEM] Some portion of the indicated address range is not allocated. Some portion of the indicated address range is not locked. LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/mman.h> The include file <sys/types.h> is necessary. int mlock(caddr_t addr, size_t len); int munlock(caddr_t addr, size_t len); The variable type of addr has changed. SEE ALSO
fork(2), mincore(2), minherit(2), mmap(2), munmap(2), setrlimit(2), getpagesize(3), compat(5) BUGS
Unlike The Sun implementation, multiple mlock calls on the same address range require the corresponding number of munlock calls to actually unlock the pages, i.e. mlock nests. This should be considered a consequence of the implementation and not a feature. The per-process resource limit is a limit on the amount of virtual memory locked, while the system-wide limit is for the number of locked physical pages. Hence a process with two distinct locked mappings of the same physical page counts as 2 pages against the per-process limit and as only a single page in the system limit. HISTORY
The mlock() and munlock() functions first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
June 2, 1993 BSD