Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pls help me to insert tab and formatthe file Post 97781 by linuxpenguin on Thursday 2nd of February 2006 11:35:31 AM
Old 02-02-2006
ok, you need to add the above contents in a file, give it permissions u+x and then execute the shell script.
to edit the file use some editor like vi. cat is not really a editor. it is a command GENERALLY used to see the contents of a file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert TAB in echo statement

Hi, Can some1 help me to output a tab in an echo statement. I have tried echo "RNC: \t NODEB" but dont get the correct output. I am a beginnger to unix, so pls hold back the laughs....if u can (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunils27
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert tab at specified column.HELP

I have input like: 1234567890 cut -c1-3,6-7,9-10 input > output Now I got 1236790. I want to insert space between each cut. So the output like: 123 67 90 Can anybody help? Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sslr
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: how to insert tab?

Hi, I'm using the following to insert lines into file: sed ${rowNr}i'\ first row\ second row\ third row\ ' file.txt How can I add tab in front of each added line? "\t" or actual TAB does not seem to work? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert a field into a tab delimited file

Hello, Can someone help me to do this with awk or sed? I have a file with multiple lines, each line has many fields separated with a tab. I would like to add one more field holding 'na' in between the first and second fields. old file looks like, 1, field1 field2 field3 ... 2, field1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssshen
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert Field into a tab-delimited file

Hello, I have about 100 files in a directory with fields which are tab delimited. I would like to append the file name as the first field and it has to be done as many times as the total lines in the file. For example, myFile1.txt has the following data: 1 x y z 2 a b ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert LF and TAB for formatting

trying to insert a LF and 2 TABs for this: sed 's/<td><\/td>/<td>\n\t\t<\/td>/' infile. but, I'm not getting the syntax for inserting the LF and TABs correct (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

insert whitespace (tab) at start of each line

Hi all, I have this: begin data; dimensions nind=168 nloci=6; info BDT001.4 ( 1 , 1 ) ( 1 , 12 ) BDT003.4 ( 1 , 1 ) ( 12 , 12 ) BDT007.4 ( 1 , 1 ) ( 12 , 12 ) BDT009.4 ( 1 , 32 ) ( 12 , 22 ) etc, etc And need this: begin data; dimensions nind=168 nloci=6; info ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDeBiasse
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi - insert a tab between words?

I have several lines in a file that I want to replace a space with a tab. For example: 111047 Julie Jones email@email.com 111047 Julie Jones email@email.com I want to replace the space after the word "jones" with a tab. How do I achieve that in Vi? Please assist. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlinelearner02
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline, tab, spaces in curly braces.. :( Pls Help?

Hi Everyone, in the below "xyz (Exception e)" part... after the curly braces, there is a new line and immediately few tabs are present before closing curly brace. xyz (Exception e) { } note: there can be one or more newlines between the curly braces. My desired output should be ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NY_777
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete and insert columns in a tab delimited file

Hi all , I have a file having 12 columns tab delimited . I need to read this file and remove the column 3 and column 4 and insert a word in column 3 as "AVIALABLE " Is there a way to do this . I am trying like below Thanks DJ cat $FILENAME|awk -F"\t" '{ print $1 "\t... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
3 Replies
ex(1)							      General Commands Manual							     ex(1)

Name
       ex, edit - text editor

Syntax
       ex [ - ] [ -v ] [ -x ] [ -t tag ] [ -r ] [ +command ] [ -l ] name...
       edit [ ex options ]

Description
       The  editor  is	the  root  of a family of editors: and The editor is a superset of with the most notable extension being a display-editing
       facility.  Display-based editing is the focus of

The name argument indicates the files to be edited.

Options
       -    Suppresses all interactive-user feedback.  This option is useful in processing editor scripts in command files.

-v   Equivalent to using rather than

-t   Equivalent to an initial tag command, that is, editing the file containing the tag and positioning the editor at its definition.

-r   Used to recover after an editor or system crash.  It recovers by retrieving the last saved version of the named file.  If no  file	is
	    specified, it displays a list of saved files.

-R   Sets the read-only option at the start.

+command
	    Indicates  that  the editor should begin by executing the specified command.  If the command is omitted, it defaults to $, positioning
	    the editor at the last line of the first file, initially.  Other useful commands here are scanning patterns of the form  +/pattern	or
	    line numbers.

-l   Sets up for LISP.  That is, it sets the showmatch and lisp options.  The -x option is available only if the Encryption layered product
	    is installed.

-x   Causes to prompt for a key. The key is used to encrypt and decrypt the contents of the file. If the file contents have been  encrypted
	    with one key, you must use the same key to decrypt them.

Restrictions
       The command causes all marks to be lost on lines changed and then restored if the marked lines were changed.

The command does not clear the buffer modified condition.

The z command prints a number of logical rather than physical lines.  More than a screenful of output may result if long lines are present.

File input/output errors do not print a name if the command line minus sign (-) option is used.

There is no easy way to do a single scan ignoring case.

The editor does not warn you if you place text in named buffers and do not use it before exiting the editor.

Null characters are discarded from input files, and cannot appear in output files.

Files
       /usr/lib/ex?.?recover	     recover command
       /usr/lib/ex?.?preserve	     preserve command
       /etc/termcap		terminal capabilities
       ~/.exrc			editor startup file
       /tmp/Exnnnnn		editor temporary
       /tmp/Rxnnnnn		named buffer temporary
       /usr/preserve		preservation directory

See Also
       awk(1), ed(1), grep(1), sed(1), vi(1), termcap(5), environ(7)
       "Edit: A Tutorial" and the "Ex Reference Manual" in the
       Supplementary Documents, Volume 1: General User

ex(1)