Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting one more query for searching string....... Post 97678 by linuxpenguin on Wednesday 1st of February 2006 12:17:21 PM
Old 02-01-2006
lets say your string is str

echo "${str}"|sed 's#W/X.*[!<]//g'

This will give you the string str - contents in W/X....<
the pattern that you need to match is W/X.*[!<] meaning characters starting at W/X followed by any characters till '<'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a string for a character

I have a co-worker that is trying to make a Wheel of Fortune game and he wants to know if there is a way to search a string for the letter given by the user. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: turbulence
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a string from one file and searching the same string in other files

Hi, Need to extract a string from one file and search the same in other files. Ex: I have file1 of hundred lines with no delimiters not even space. I have 3 more files. I should get 1 to 10 characters say substring from each line of file1 and search that string in rest of the files and get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohancrr
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching for a string in a file

I need to search for a specific string in a file and if this string exist I need to replace it with something else. I am not sure how I could do this, using an if statement. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a string in a file

Hi, I am new to unix shell scripting. I have a requirement. Could anyone help me writing the script for the same? Here goes the requirement: I have a config file let's say temp.config. Here is the data in the config file temp.config : ------------- name=victor age=42 state=texas... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching each file for a string

Hi Guys... I want to search for each file that contains a particular string. e.g find . -print | xargs grep -i string_name Now my issue is the files that I search in are gzipped. Will I be able to find the string, using the above commands, even if the files are gzipped? Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching the required string and appending string to it.

Hi all, I have some data in the form of adc|nvhs|nahssn|njadnk|nkfds in the above data i need to write a script so thet it will append "|||" to the third occurnace in the string ..... the outout should look like adc|nvhs|nahssn||||njadnk|nkfds Thanks, Firestar. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a String

Hi everyone ! suppose i'm searching for a specific string in a file so it is very easy, i use the following command grep 'keyword' file_name but how to search a word which is repeated maximum number of times in a file, for example in the following text i have to search a word which is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ourned
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a string using loop.

Hi i am very new to shell scripting. I have got stuck on a portion on my script. Problem : I have 30 logfiles inside /home/test directory. I need to find the string "@ended today" in all the 30 logfiles and print the name of the files which did not have this string. i need to this by... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soma Das
3 Replies

9. Programming

Searching String which repeates

Hi All, Any one please help me with the below scenario. I have a file with the data like below This is the integer variable name is <abc1> This is the Float variable name is <abc1> This is the integer variable name is <abc2> This is the Float variable name is <abc2> This is the integer... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhon1257
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for variable string

Hi Guys, So im trying to search for the most recent occurance of a string in the most recently updated .log file in a certain directory. The string i am searching for is a value, now if this value is greater than 800 i would like an email sent out with some text (blah blah blah). This is what... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hello_world
7 Replies
bindtags(n)						       Tk Built-In Commands						       bindtags(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
bindtags - Determine which bindings apply to a window, and order of evaluation SYNOPSIS
bindtags window ?tagList? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
When a binding is created with the bind command, it is associated either with a particular window such as .a.b.c, a class name such as But- ton, the keyword all, or any other string. All of these forms are called binding tags. Each window contains a list of binding tags that determine how events are processed for the window. When an event occurs in a window, it is applied to each of the window's tags in order: for each tag, the most specific binding that matches the given tag and event is executed. See the bind command for more information on the matching process. By default, each window has four binding tags consisting of the name of the window, the window's class name, the name of the window's near- est toplevel ancestor, and all, in that order. Toplevel windows have only three tags by default, since the toplevel name is the same as that of the window. The bindtags command allows the binding tags for a window to be read and modified. If bindtags is invoked with only one argument, then the current set of binding tags for window is returned as a list. If the tagList argu- ment is specified to bindtags, then it must be a proper list; the tags for window are changed to the elements of the list. The elements of tagList may be arbitrary strings; however, any tag starting with a dot is treated as the name of a window; if no window by that name exists at the time an event is processed, then the tag is ignored for that event. The order of the elements in tagList determines the order in which binding scripts are executed in response to events. For example, the command bindtags .b {all . Button .b} reverses the order in which binding scripts will be evaluated for a button named .b so that all bindings are invoked first, following by bindings for .b's toplevel ("."), followed by class bindings, followed by bindings for .b. If tagList is an empty list then the binding tags for window are returned to the default state described above. The bindtags command may be used to introduce arbitrary additional binding tags for a window, or to remove standard tags. For example, the command bindtags .b {.b TrickyButton . all} replaces the Button tag for .b with TrickyButton. This means that the default widget bindings for buttons, which are associated with the Button tag, will no longer apply to .b, but any bindings associated with TrickyButton (perhaps some new button behavior) will apply. EXAMPLE
If you have a set of nested frame widgets and you want events sent to a button widget to also be delivered to all the widgets up to the current toplevel (in contrast to Tk's default behavior, where events are not delivered to those intermediate windows) to make it easier to have accelerators that are only active for part of a window, you could use a helper procedure like this to help set things up: proc setupBindtagsForTreeDelivery {widget} { set tags [list $widget [winfo class $widget]] set w $widget set t [winfo toplevel $w] while {$w ne $t} { set w [winfo parent $w] lappend tags $w } lappend tags all bindtags $widget $tags } SEE ALSO
bind(n) KEYWORDS
binding, event, tag Tk 4.0 bindtags(n)