Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Inputs from a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Inputs from a file Post 97612 by sendhil on Wednesday 1st of February 2006 03:10:17 AM
Old 02-01-2006
Inputs from a file

Hi,
I have a shell script that has to taken inputs from a file say "Inputs". Now I take 2 inputs at a time. Suppose the Inputs file contains numbers like
Now I have a written a script for adding 2 numbers. When I run the script for first time 2 and 3 must be the inputs. When i run the script for the second time the inputs should be 4 and 5. Is there is any way to do this. I know that the inputs can be taken using 'exec'. But , how can i do for this case.

Thanx in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading in two inputs from a file

Hi all, I've been assigned the task of modifying a script which reads in names of tables from a list file, exports a 30 days worth of data from these tables, then deletes the table. The list file will now contain a table name and a number next to it indicating how many days to archive. I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MadHatter
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting serial inputs to a file?

i have an external device sending serial messages i want to connect this device to a serial port in my sun blade box and record those messages to a file, how can i read the serial port and write it to file? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guilartec
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating inputs from a file

Hi, I have a file called inputs. Now that file has the values like this: 1 2 3 Now In my script called 'get.sh' I do this : exec < inputs read a b c d Now I know that there will not be any value in d. How can I check it. I need the exact condition for checking whether the variable has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sendhilmani123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the format of inputs in a file

Hi, I have a script that takes the contents of another file as inputs. Its assumed that there are 3 values in the input file that are seperated by '|'. I have to check in my script, whether the filed seperator used in the input file is '|' or not. If its not a '|' I have to print a error... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhilmani123
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set the File Paths for Inputs and Outputs

I have couple of shell scripts. Each shell script accepts command line argument as inputfilename. Each shell script creates a summary file, status file. All these files are stored in a particular directory...Eg InputFile is to be picked from /home/ProjectName/ftp_inputfiles/ Outputs are to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amruta Pitkar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read inputs from a file

Hello; Please I need to read inputs from a file change 1 or 2 things the output to another file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimoney
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting A Source File With User Inputs

I need to write what I thought would be a fairly simple 2-line UNIX script. It can be written PERL, csh, ksh...or whatever is easiest. The entire script will be: Begin Scipt source MySourceFile execute MyExecutable.exe End Script The problem is that MySourceFile can not be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MMorrison
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take 10 user inputs and output to file?

I want a script that will prompt a user to enter 10 numbers and out put them into a file. This what I have so far, but isn't working. I'm guessing it's something easy I'm not seeing. Thanks for any help. #!/usr/bin/ksh echo "Enter 10 numbers" for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 do read .... ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxlVanDamme
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing user inputs into a file

Hi, Am trying to store the user inputs into a file, but the below code will store only the first line of the values. I need to store all the user input values which may contain one or more lines. Thanks in advance. echo "please enter file names"; read name; echo $name>/tmp/test (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run .exe file with inputs file

Good morning .., I have a problem to run my object program. Before, I run my program in cygwin and there is no problem. When I tried in linux (ubuntu), the terminal said that space.exe : command not found. this is the code in my shell space.exe gr1 result space.exe: command not found... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: weslyarfan
2 Replies
RLAM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   RLAM(1)

NAME
rlam - laminate records from multiple files SYNOPSIS
rlam [ -tS ][ -u ][ -iaN | -ifN | -idN | -iiN | -iwN | -ibN ] input1 input2 .. DESCRIPTION
Rlam simply joins records (or lines) from multiple inputs, separating them with the given string (TAB by default). Different separators may be given for different files by specifying additional -t options in between each file name. Note that there is no space between this option and its argument. If none of the input files uses an ASCII separator, then no end-of-line character will be printed, either. An input is either a stream or a command. Commands are given in quotes, and begin with an exclamantion point ('!'). If the inputs do not have the same number of lines, then shorter files will stop contributing to the output as they run out. The -ia option may be used to specify ASCII input (the default), or the -if option may be used to indicated binary IEEE 32-bit floats on input. Similarly, the -id and -ii options may be used to indicate binary 64-bit doubles or integer words, respectively. The -iw option specifies 2-byte short words, and the -ib option specifies bytes. If a number is immediately follows any of these options, then it indi- cates that multiple such values are expected for each record. For example, -if3 indicates three floats per input record for the next named input. In the case of the -ia option, no number indicates one line per input record, and numbers greater than zero indicate that many characters exactly per record. For binary input formts, no number implies one value per record. For anything other than EOL-separated input, the default tab separator is reset to the empty string. A hyphen ('-') by itself can be used to indicate the standard input, and may appear multiple times. The -u option forces output after each record (i.e., one run through inputs). EXAMPLE
To join files output1 and output2, separated by a comma: rlam -t, output1 output2 To join a file with line numbers (starting at 0) and its reverse: cnt `wc -l < lam.c` | rlam - -t: lam.c -t '!tail -r lam.c' To join four data files, each having three doubles per record: rlam -id3 file1.dbl file2.dbl file3.dbl file4.dbl > combined.dbl AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), histo(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), tabfunc(1), total(1) RADIANCE
7/8/97 RLAM(1)