Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Trying to copy old hard drive to new hard drive. Post 97428 by shorty on Monday 30th of January 2006 10:44:26 AM
Old 01-30-2006
Ok......I did a format and the new drive showed being c1t2d0.
So I did a dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 of =/dev/rdsk/c1t2d0s0 and the following error showed up........
dd: /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0s0 open: Invalid argument

I did some research and the consensus is that slice 2 would span the entire disk, so I tried dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s2 of=/dev/rdsk/c1t2d0s2 and the same error came up.

Any suggestions Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

reading the hard drive

I have suns machine that holds two hard drives. I only used one. I tryed to make a lan network with my windows xp. When I tryed to restart the machine it wanted to a password. when before I just typed root to log in. So i edited the etc dir. big mistake. So now the machine will not read the hard... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: victbla
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

currupted my hard drive

Hello, earlier tonight I was installing BETA version of Mandrake Linux 9.0 and I realised I needed to partition my drive. I tried making the partition within mandrake but ther wasnt an option within the mandrake setup. So i go into my WindowsXP and do the disk management option but there want a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xcaliber
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do copy certain files and directories from one hard drive to another?

I have two drives (scsi) mounted on one server and I need to copy certain files and directories from one drive to the other. Any suggestions :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Hard Drive Copy results in differences on boot

I have an old Pentium 4 PC running Solaris 9. The system has two 40gig IDE hard drives. I removed the drives and, using a hard disk duplicating device, "cloned" both drives. I installed the new drives in the PC. The system boots but I get a message that X-Term will not run on the console. If I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddogarmyman
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy everything from remote Linux to external hard drive in windows

Hi, I`m trying to copy an entire directory(with numerous files, folders and subfolders etc, a content size of 500gigs) from a linux machine running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 to an external hard drive on my windows. I downloaded and installed psftp on my windows and I can login using psftp... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie83
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to copy all files of a said type on my external hard drive

My code is this, what I'm trying to accomplish is to make a list of all pdf documents in my computer and then copy all of those documents to my external hard drive in a directory mkdir /Volumes/Hardrive-1/allpdf echo "File Locations" > /Volumes/Hardrive-1/allpdf/FileLocations.txt mdfind pdf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darpness
2 Replies

8. Solaris

How to make an exact image copy of a SCSI hard drive in Solaris 8 OS?

To Solaris 8 Experts, Please let me know what's the best method / procedure as well as the Solaris 8 commands for accomplishing the following tasks on a production Sun Enterprise 250 Server running Sun Solaris 8 Operating System: 1. Make an exact image/copy of the SCSI Hard Drive in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssabet
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

External hard drive

I have connected an external hard drive. I can't find it. Both ls /media, fdisk -l and ls /dev show nothing. TIA (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
3 Replies
ds.log(4)							   File Formats 							 ds.log(4)

NAME
ds.log - Availability Suite data services log file DESCRIPTION
The /var/adm/ds.log file contains the Availability Suite data services command log. The administration commands log activities to the file in the format: date time product: message Note that when the size of the log file exceeds 10 Mbytes, ds.log is renamed /var/adm/ds.log.bak and a new /var/adm/ds.log file is cre- ated. The ds.log fields are: date The date format is mmm nn, where mmm is the local three-character abbreviation for the month and nn is the day of the month on which the event occurred. time The time of the event, in hh:mm:ss format. product A product code that identifies which component of the data services produced the event. The code is separated from the message that follows by a colon (:) and a space. message A message that can extend over more than one line describing the event that occurred. The second or following lines are not pre- fixed by the date, time, and product code strings. EXAMPLES
The example below shows sample ds.log file content: Jan 25 05:26:17 ii: iiboot suspend cluster tag <none> Jan 25 05:32:02 ii: iiboot resume cluster tag <none> Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/bigmaster Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/bigshadow Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/mstvxfs Jan 25 05:32:04 sv: svboot: resume /dev/vx/rdsk/master01 ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ |Architecture | x86 | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ |Availability | SUNWscmu | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ |Interface Stability | Committed | +---------------------+---------------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
iiadm(1M), sndradm(1M), svadm(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 08 Jun 2007 ds.log(4)