Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Truncate directory path
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Truncate directory path Post 97138 by mahendramahendr on Thursday 26th of January 2006 02:27:13 PM
Old 01-26-2006
I see some problem with that....
Ignore that one.. will post the correct one later.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get directory name from its path?

If I the path to a directory, what command can I use to return the actual name of that directory. test=`pwd`/folder1 > $test folder1 I'd rather avoid anything with regular expressions. Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ordano
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate path and keep only filenames

Hi everyone, I have a question for you, I'm trying to create a script that will automate creating loading screens for the iPhone. So what I need to do, is list the directories inside /var/mobile/Applications and scan inside those, for the .app directory inside each. Take that .app name... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kicker75
15 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Truncate folder path

Hello, Given below are 2 sample paths from 2 different servers: /opt/temp/PROD/Script/New/Letters /opt/Share/temp/Share1/PROD/Script/Files/New/Letters I would like to truncate the path till the folder "PROD". Please note that the field count of the folder "PROD" vaires from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DawnNish
1 Replies

5. AIX

tprof, truncate the process path

Hi, i tryed tprof -skex sleep 6 but... Process PID TID Total Kernel User Shared Other Java ======= === === ===== ====== ==== ====== ===== ==== wait 57372 77863 31.31 31.31 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 wait ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zanac
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find . -printf" without prepended "." path? Getting path to current working directory?

If I enter (simplified): find . -printf "%p\n" then all files in the output are prepended by a "." like ./local/share/test23.log How can achieve that a.) the leading "./" is omitted and/or b.) the full path to the current directory is inserted (enclosed by brackets and a blank)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep last directory from path

Hello, I am looking for a command that will give me the last directory name from a path ex 1 : /dir1/dir/2/dir3/ output needed dir3 ex 2 : /dir1/dir/2/dir3/dir4/ output needed dir4 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aswex
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
opendiff(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       opendiff(1)

NAME
opendiff -- Use FileMerge to graphically compare or merge file or directories SYNOPSIS
opendiff file1 file2 [-ancestor ancestorFile] [-merge mergeFile] opendiff dir1 dir2 [-ancestor ancestorDirectory] [-merge mergeDirectory] DESCRIPTION
opendiff is a command line utility that provides a convenient way to launch the FileMerge application from Terminal to graphically compare files or directories. If FileMerge is already running, opendiff will connect to that running instance for the new comparison. opendiff exits immediately after the comparison request has been sent to FileMerge. opendiff and FileMerge can be used to compare two files file1 and file2 or to compare two directories dir1 and dir2. If the -ancestor flag is given, FileMerge will compare the two files or directories to a common ancestor. This is useful if two people inde- pendently modify copies of a single original file or directory. FileMerge lets you merge two files or directories together to create a third file or directory. To see the contents of a merged file, drag the splitter bar at the bottom of FileMerge's file comparison window. The contents of the merged file can be directly edited within File- Merge. After editing, the merged file can be saved to the file (or into the directory) specified with the Fl merge flag. If a destination is not specified with the -merge flag, FileMerge will ask for a destination file or directory when you try to save a merged file. For further information, please consult the Help information available from the FileMerge application. FILES
/Developer/Applications/Utilities/FileMerge.app opendiff and FileMerge are installed as part of the Mac OS X Developer Tools. SEE ALSO
diff(1), diff3(1), cmp(1) Mac OS X August 3, 2004 Mac OS X