Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming want to run a function in background Post 95956 by bankpro on Monday 16th of January 2006 09:27:33 AM
Old 01-16-2006
but fork returns

thanks matrixmadhan, but while using fork, it will return to the main.
we want it to run in the background handling requests(writing to file whenever
messge Q is full)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

subshell & background function

Hello all, Can someone explain to me the advantage between using subshell over a function call in scripts? To me these are the same. Am I wrong to think this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

run a shell in the background

How can I run a shell in the background? cat test.sh #!/bin/sh sleep 600 Thank u very much indeed! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GCTEII
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run script at background

Hi all, I have a script like: echo Please input list file name: read listn for file in `cat $listn.txt` do send_file $file done normally, I will run the script like: :. resendfile Please input list filename: list1 #Then, the script will resend all file from the list1. However,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can we run ssh2 in background

Hi, I was trying to run ssh2 command in background... but i got follwoing error message saying that process has been stopped.. + Stopped(SIGTTOU) Anyone have any idea about this??? Appreciated your help.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvamsikr
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A question about the PID of a background function

Dear all, I'm writing a KornShell script that calls inside it a function in background mode #!/bin/ksh function myfunction { . . .} myfunction |& . . . How can I capture the PID of the function myfunction that runs in background? Thanks in advance :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

background scripts run-help

Looking for a logic where say i have a script called parent_script which is used to call other 4 to 5 child scripts in background as.. cat parent_script # containing 65 lines 1 2 .. 35 while read child_script 36 do 37 ./child_script_name& 38 done< ${SCRIPT_LISTS} 39 40 # Need to have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelrozar17
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run wineconsole in background

Hello everybody, I'm making a script for running a .bat process on wineconsole, but I want that wineconsole doesn't show up when I call it from the script. The script is named "reset" and it looks like this: When I execute it, it will show up the wineconsole window on top, and that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: taurokpo
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run in background mode.

Hi All, i'm a newbie here, i'm just wondering in how do i run my script in background then echo it if it's done. Please advise, Thanks, -nik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run Background process one after another

Hii Friends, I am using Perl CGI. I am running A SCP Command via Perl CGI in Background. Like system("scp -r machinename:/PathOfFile/ /Path/WhereToCopyIt/ &) This Copy Process takes some times lets say 15 min. Now I want When This copy process gets complete then send me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navrattan Bansa
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a function in background and then suspend it

Here is some back ground on the script. The script is to poll an arbitrary number of DB's. To do this I am creating a function that takes the file_path to the DB and the min poll interval as arguments. The function will be called for each DB and then ran in the background. The function I was... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandavison
6 Replies
PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					 PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)

NAME
pthread_atfork -- register handlers to be called before and after fork() SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_atfork(void (*prepare)(void), void (*parent)(void), void (*child)(void)); DESCRIPTION
The pthread_atfork() function declares fork handlers to be called before and after fork(2), in the context of the thread that called fork(2). The handlers registered with pthread_atfork() are called at the moments in time described below: prepare Before fork(2) processing commences in the parent process. If more than one prepare handler is registered they will be called in the opposite order they were registered. parent After fork(2) completes in the parent process. If more than one parent handler is registered they will be called in the same order they were registered. child After fork(2) processing completes in the child process. If more than one child handler is registered they will be called in the same order they were registered. If no handling is desired at one or more of these three points, a null pointer may be passed as the corresponding fork handler. Important: only async-signal-safe functions are allowed on the child side of fork(). See sigaction(2) for details. RETURN VALUES
If successful, the pthread_atfork() function will return zero. Otherwise an error number will be returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
The pthread_atfork() function will fail if: [ENOMEM] The system lacked the necessary resources to add another handler to the list. SEE ALSO
fork(2), pthread(3) STANDARDS
The pthread_atfork() conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1996 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
June 21, 2004 BSD