Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking a file is not being written to Post 95952 by blowtorch on Monday 16th of January 2006 08:58:34 AM
Old 01-16-2006
An error of 'lsof: not found' means that lsof is not available in your path. Check the value of the $PATH variable in your environment. Search for lsof on your box. Then add the path to lsof in the PATH variable in your environment. Here are the steps:
Code:
echo $PATH

Code:
whereis lsof

or (this may take quite a bit longer)
Code:
find /usr -name lsof -print

Code:
PATH=$PATH:/path/to/lsof; export PATH

--EDIT--
mallikarjuna, in your code you are using *.* to pass filenames to lsof. I don't think that lsof can handle more than one filename at a time. Just check that out.
--/EDIT--

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File being used/written

Hello, Which command in unix can tell whether a file is being used/written by another process. e.g. If one process is copying a very big file in some directory and there is another cronjob process which checks for a new file and in this directory and process the file. I want to check, if the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating on a file being written by another application

Hi, I have a directory that is used to store files generated by another application. Each file is huge and can take some time to produce. I am writing a shell script to check the names and dates of the files and do some functions on the ones that are not being written out. My question is, if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How the /etc/passwd file is written when user does not have permission

Hi, /etc/passwd file has write permission only for the root user. Now when a normal user changes the its own password using passwd command, how this information has been written to the /etc/passwd file when the user is not having write permission to this file. ~santosh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh149
2 Replies

4. Programming

Unix File has 000 access when written

Good day! I would just like to ask about an issue I encountered. There is a Java program (version1.3) that we use that is hosted in Unix (HP-UX B.11.11 U), and one of its functions copies a file and writes it to another directory. It usually runs fine, but one day, it wrote a file that had 000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike_s_6
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending something to output before being written to a file

Hi, I'm quite stuck with what I thought should've been simple but I just can't seem to do it. Firstly, I have the following done in bourne shell: cat datafile | tr '' '' >> newfile echo "$fullfilepath" >> newfile i want to have the output of that echo put on the same line as the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Darkst
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply Password to already Written XLS File.

I need to apply password protection to a xls file.I had looked at SpreadSheet::WriteExcel but problem being i dont want to write the contents of file again as the formatting the file would be a pain. Is there way in which i write a entire file in one go , something like this ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

12. If an ‘88’ Record with BAI Code ‘902’ was found on input file and not written to Output file, re

This is my input file like this 03,105581,,015,+00000416418,,,901,+00000000148,,,922,+00000000354,,/ 49,+00000000000416920,00002/ 03,5313236,,015,+00231036992,,,045,+00231036992,,,901,+00000048428,,/ 88,100,+0000000000000,0000000,,400,+0000000000000,0000000,/ 88,902,+0000000079077,,/... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgoud
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to copy a binary file while the file is being written to by another process

Hello, Can I copy a binary file while the file is being written to by another process? Another process (program) “P1” creates and opens (for writing) binary file “ABC” on local disk. Process P1 continuously write into ABC file every couple of seconds, adding 512-byte blocks of data. ABC file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbuki
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Notification as popups when a file being written

I would like to know Is it possible to get a notification as pop-up in linux when a folder with extension '.aqs' written a popup should come as " The folder has been written " Thank you in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bal_nair
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check if a file is open and in use (logs are being written to it)

Hello Experts, I need to write a shell script to check if a file is open and something is being written to it. I want to know how OS handles it. I checked with lsof command but it is not working. For a test I did this. while true; do echo `date` >>abc.txt; done then I checked lsof |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
5 Replies
virt-tar-in(1)						      Virtualization Support						    virt-tar-in(1)

NAME
virt-tar-in - Unpack a tarball into a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-in -a disk.img data.tar /destination virt-tar-in -d domain data.tar /destination zcat data.tar.gz | virt-tar-in -d domain - /destination WARNING
Using "virt-tar-in" on live virtual machines can be dangerous, potentially causing disk corruption. The virtual machine must be shut down before you use this command. DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-in" unpacks an uncompressed tarball into a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. The first parameter is the tar file. Use "-" to read the tar file from standard input. The second parameter is the absolute target directory to unpack into. EXAMPLES
Upload a home directory to a guest: virt-tar-in -d MyGuest homes.tar /home JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-in" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-make-fs(1), virt-tar-out(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-in(1)