Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: dup()
Top Forums Programming dup() Post 9588 by reddyb on Tuesday 30th of October 2001 12:40:00 PM
Old 10-30-2001
dup in unix

hi ..,

You are right, its used to duplicate the file discriptor.

the application demands the situation for example,

you have a client to pull data from a server on a different m/c and
you want your clients to run as daemon processes,
you can not associate any terminal device associated for daemon processes.
In this case, you open a null file discriptor with
open("/dev/null",O_RDONLY)
and dup this discriptor for stdin , stdout and stderr.
this prevents your processes from directly writing or reading from stdio.

I hope this might help you a bit in understanding.

thanks
reddyb

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

fork() and dup()

I have met this code: switch(fork()) { case 0: close(1); dup(p); close(p); close(p); execvp(<whatever>); perror("Exec failed"); } Can anyone tell me what this piece of code does? Thx alot.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
1 Replies

2. Programming

Understanding the purpose of dup/dup2

I'm having difficulty understanding the purposes of using dup/dup2 when involving forks. for example, if we call fork() once, that is, we are creating a child process. In what cases would we need to use dup or dup2 to duplicate the file descriptors for standard output and standard error? What... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yifan_Guo
1 Replies

3. Programming

dup()

when i want to replace standard output with output file int out; out = open("out", O_WRONLY)p; dup2(out,1); What Shall I do in case of appending??? I am using here O_WRONLY TO WRITE.BUT IF i wanna append, whats the word? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joey
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

ping error (DUP!)

Ntop is running on redhat. But It gives DUP! error while pinging to any places I dont know why DUP! error is occured. # ping google.com PING google.com (74.125.39.147) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from fx-in-f147.1e100.net (74.125.39.147): icmp_seq=1 ttl=44 time=54.1 ms 64 bytes from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify duplicates and update the last 2 digits to 0 for both the Orig and Dup

Hi, I have a requirement where I have to identify duplicates from a file based on the first 6 chars (It is fixed width file of 12 chars length) and whenever a duplicate row is found, its original and duplicate row's last 2 chars should be updated to all 0's if they are not same. (I mean last 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: farawaydsky
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count dup records in file?

Hi Gurus, I need to count the duplicate records in file file abc abc def ghi ghi jkl I want to get below result: abc ,2 abc, 2 def ,1 ghi ,2 ghi, 2 jkl ,1 or abc ,2 def ,1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
3 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Deja-dup make my / full. So I cannot restore my back up

The problematic directory is the following: /root/.cache/deja-dup This directory grows until my "/" is full and then the restoring activity fails. I already tried to create a symbolic link with origin another partition where I have more space. However during the restoring activity ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: puertas12
4 Replies
dup(2)								   System Calls 							    dup(2)

NAME
dup - duplicate an open file descriptor SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int dup(int fildes); DESCRIPTION
The dup() function returns a new file descriptor having the following in common with the original open file descriptor fildes: o same open file (or pipe) o same file pointer (that is, both file descriptors share one file pointer) o same access mode (read, write or read/write). The new file descriptor is set to remain open across exec functions (see fcntl(2)). The file descriptor returned is the lowest one available. The dup(fildes) function call is equivalent to: fcntl(fildes, F_DUPFD, 0) RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a non-negative integer representing the file descriptor is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The dup() function will fail if: EBADF The fildes argument is not a valid open file descriptor. EINTR A signal was caught during the execution of the dup() function. EMFILE The process has too many open files (see getrlimit(2)). ENOLINK The fildes argument is on a remote machine and the link to that machine is no longer active. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
close(2), creat(2), exec(2), fcntl(2), getrlimit(2), open(2), pipe(2), dup2(3C), lockf(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 28 Dec 1996 dup(2)