Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A question for links in Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A question for links in Unix Post 95856 by nj302 on Sunday 15th of January 2006 06:44:38 PM
Old 01-15-2006
Softlink may need to write a script to find out. Thank you very much for the help.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question posting links

Hi, I do not want to violate any rules, so thought to ask before posting any links. Just to contribute to the forum: through surfing I found a link to download "Unix in a Nutshell" (*.chm) FREE. I was wondering if I can post that link here. Thanks Hemang (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

links in UNIX

Hi Can you please tell me how to create a softlink to a file on a different partition ? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Collection of Unix Links

Hi, Is there is a good collection of Links to Unix Related stuff? Regards, Kriss (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kriss
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hard links in unix

hi i have a hardlink how can i find the source of it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpriyank
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Book and Links about Shells; and zsh question

HI, I would like to ask You about some good books or links where I can find information about shells, theoretical information. I will be grateful if You can help me And I have question about zsh loop trivial script: #!/bin/zsh for i in {1..100000} do echo $i; doneexec time is 10... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Physix
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Basic Question About Links

How can you tell if a file is linked to another file?????? Do not title posts "Urgent", etc. Per forum rules. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BIGGDRE10
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic links in UNIX

Hi, I have a file with more than 1 layers of soft links for it. For ex. ls -la .profile .profile@ -> /home/act/.profile_abc ls -la /home/act/.profile_abc@ -> .profile_final I want to get the name of the last file (i.e. .profile_final) when I refer to .profile using shell script. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deo_kaustubh
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Soft links question

Hello. I have some main directories. For example : /main_dir1 /main_dir2In main_dir2, I have a sub dir named sub_dir2-1 with 2 files in it ( file_2-1, file_2-2 ) /main_dir2sub_dir2-1file_2-1 file_2-2From "/main_dir1/A/B/C" I make a soft link ln -s /main_dir2/sub_dir2-1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies
SYMLINK(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							SYMLINK(2)

NAME
symlink - make a new name for a file SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int symlink(const char *oldpath, const char *newpath); DESCRIPTION
symlink creates a symbolic link named newpath which contains the string oldpath. Symbolic links are interpreted at run-time as if the contents of the link had been substituted into the path being followed to find a file or directory. Symbolic links may contain .. path components, which (if used at the start of the link) refer to the parent directories of that in which the link resides. A symbolic link (also known as a soft link) may point to an existing file or to a nonexistent one; the latter case is known as a dangling link. The permissions of a symbolic link are irrelevant; the ownership is ignored when following the link, but is checked when removal or renam- ing of the link is requested and the link is in a directory with the sticky bit set. If newpath exists it will not be overwritten. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EPERM The filesystem containing newpath does not support the creation of symbolic links. EFAULT oldpath or newpath points outside your accessible address space. EACCES Write access to the directory containing newpath is not allowed for the process's effective uid, or one of the directories in new- path did not allow search (execute) permission. ENAMETOOLONG oldpath or newpath was too long. ENOENT A directory component in newpath does not exist or is a dangling symbolic link, or oldpath is the empty string. ENOTDIR A component used as a directory in newpath is not, in fact, a directory. ENOMEM Insufficient kernel memory was available. EROFS newpath is on a read-only filesystem. EEXIST newpath already exists. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in resolving newpath. ENOSPC The device containing the file has no room for the new directory entry. EIO An I/O error occurred. NOTES
No checking of oldpath is done. Deleting the name referred to by a symlink will actually delete the file (unless it also has other hard links). If this behaviour is not desired, use link. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, SVID, POSIX, BSD 4.3. SVr4 documents additional error codes SVr4, SVID, BSD 4.3, X/OPEN. SVr4 documents additional error codes EDQUOT and ENOSYS. See open(2) re multiple files with the same name, and NFS. SEE ALSO
readlink(2), link(2), unlink(2), rename(2), open(2), lstat(2), ln(1) Linux 2.0.30 1997-08-21 SYMLINK(2)