Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Please help with cpio on HP-UX Post 95690 by Perderabo on Friday 13th of January 2006 03:08:35 PM
Old 01-13-2006
Take a real close look at that documentation. It must say something like:
cpio -idcmv <file_name

Let's say that your file is named george.cpio. You would use:
cpio -idcmv < george.cpio

That < is not an optional character. It must be present. I like to leave a space on either side of it. It works up tight against the filename too.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpio

by mistake I deleted all the files in /usr2/symix/users/wfpsys/tpsc/ directory. full backup has taken yesterday using "CPIO" command and I am able to view the files from tape also using cpio command. but i couldn't able to restore back the files. Can you please help me immeditely by giving the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wipro fluid power
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with cpio

Hi all, Please help me with the extraction of files from a cpio. what I mean is basically I have received a file from someone i.e rooh.cpio. this file rooh.cpio contains various files in it. I want to know how I can extract the files and copy them to a different directory . Your quick... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rooh
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpio

Hello, how can I restore files from a DAT using CPIO ? If I make : # mkdir save # cd /save # cpio -icumvdB </dev/rct0 Does the archive restore only in the directory /save ? And how can I restore a specified file from the DAT with the cpio command ? How can I know the size of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kok
2 Replies

4. AIX

cpio - files > 2 GB

Hi, Currently a backup script copies compressed files to tape using cpio command (on AIX 5.2). Recently we've had a compressed file which has gone over 2 GB in size resulting in an error while copying this file onto the tape using cpio. Any suggestions on relevant workarounds would be much... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cpio versus cp

I am copying a file system to another one. someone suggest me use find . -print |cpio -pdmv but I think cp -r should do the same thing. Am I right? In addition, by using " find . ", I got all the file names,, why do I have to use the -print option? Thanks a lot! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fredao
1 Replies

6. Solaris

CPIO issue

Hello, I am running Solaris and trying to install Oracle 10g. I have the software on my server and I am trying to extract the file using cpio -idmv. It seems to be taking a very long time and when I monitor it using top, it is sleeping and the cpu is 0%. Any ideas as to what may be going on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
3 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

CPIO Problem

Hi all, I have a trouble with CPIO: I have a file called asa802. I extract it with the following command: Then I tried to rebuild archive: Filesizes are not identical ! As I saw these messages: I tried: And messages disappears, but filesizes are still not identical Tried... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nekkro-kvlt
0 Replies

8. Debian

CPIO with Ubuntu

Hi, i am new here, and i have a question about cpio. i have a scsi traban tape drive, and i will restore some files and directories. Did anybody knows the instructions with cpio? regards Harald (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gernsemer
1 Replies

9. SCO

Questions about cpio

Should 'cpio' backup only unmounted filesystems? Should a 'cpio' backup file be restored to a mounted device? Can 'cpio' interact with /dev/root, /dev/u, /dev/stand directly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grips03
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cpio - input files (from list) are stored in different order inside cpio archive - why?

Due to budget constraints I have to reinvent an Enterprise backup system in a SPARC (sun4v) Solaris estate (10 & 11). (yep - reinvent wheel, fun but time consuming. Is this wise?! :confused: ) For each filesystem of interest, to try to capture a 'catalog' at the front of each cpio archive (for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: am115998
1 Replies
CPIO(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   CPIO(1)

NAME
cpio - copy files to and from archives SYNOPSIS
cpio {-o|--create} [-0acvABLV] [-C bytes] [-H format] [-M message] [-O [[user@]host:]archive] [-F [[user@]host:]archive] [--file=[[user@]host:]archive] [--format=format] [--message=message] [--null] [--reset-access-time] [--verbose] [--dot] [--append] [--block-size=blocks] [--dereference] [--io-size=bytes] [--quiet] [--force-local] [--rsh-command=command] [--help] [--version] < name-list [> archive] cpio {-i|--extract} [-bcdfmnrtsuvBSV] [-C bytes] [-E file] [-H format] [-M message] [-R [user][:.][group]] [-I [[user@]host:]archive] [-F [[user@]host:]archive] [--file=[[user@]host:]archive] [--make-directories] [--nonmatching] [--preserve-modification-time] [--numeric-uid- gid] [--rename] [-t|--list] [--swap-bytes] [--swap] [--dot] [--unconditional] [--verbose] [--block-size=blocks] [--swap-halfwords] [--io- size=bytes] [--pattern-file=file] [--format=format] [--owner=[user][:.][group]] [--no-preserve-owner] [--message=message] [--force-local] [--no-absolute-filenames] [--sparse] [--only-verify-crc] [--to-stdout] [--quiet] [--rsh-command=command] [--help] [--version] [pattern...] [< archive] cpio {-p|--pass-through} [-0adlmuvLV] [-R [user][:.][group]] [--null] [--reset-access-time] [--make-directories] [--link] [--quiet] [--pre- serve-modification-time] [--unconditional] [--verbose] [--dot] [--dereference] [--owner=[user][:.][group]] [--no-preserve-owner] [--sparse] [--help] [--version] destination-directory < name-list REPORTING BUGS
Report cpio bugs to bug-cpio@gnu.org GNU cpio home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/cpio/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report cpio translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> SEE ALSO
cpio(5) DESCRIPTION
GNU cpio is fully documented in the texinfo documentation. To access the help from your command line, type info cpio The online copy of the documentation is available at the following address: http://www.gnu.org/software/cpio/manual CPIO(1)