Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming handling abnormal process termination Post 95676 by linuxpenguin on Friday 13th of January 2006 01:18:42 PM
Old 01-13-2006
Hi Mridula,
basically SIGCHLD is the signal that is generated as a result of termination of the child process. so you should bt looking to handle that

i got this nice info after some google.
http://www.wlug.org.nz/SIGCHLD

not sure if it applies to your ux version. but good info tho

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Abnormal Termination errors

I'm having trouble with Abnormal Termination errors. What are they, what causes them and how can I prevent them from happening? Are they application specific? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bialsibub
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Inter Process File Handling Problem

Hi All, i am running a oracle procedure which writes a file . The same file is picked up by another script which runs in a cron after every 5 minutes. Now the problem is that sometimes my script picks up a file while the procedure is still writing data in the file. is there is any way i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhjain
4 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Abnormal Inact Memory

Hello, have a look my top and ps as below Inact memory reach 1.6G, does it normal ? load averages: 0.07, 0.02, 0.01; up 7+06:48:52 02:58:01 91 processes: 2 running, 89 sleeping CPU states: 0.0% user, 0.0% nice, 0.4% system, 0.0% interrupt, 99.6% idle Memory: 24M... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jipznet1981
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

zombie processes and hung process termination

Is there a way I can run a command that will run in the kernel or in the memory and automatically kill certain scripts if they get to <defunct> processes, without having to be monitoring the server manually? I have a Perl script which runs for 20k members and normally does not have any problems,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

abnormal process HPUX

i am using HP-UX and i have this process called HPUX childwrapper taking about 99% cpu.i want to know what the process does? and if i should kill it (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

Zombie Process Termination Time

Hey, I've got a program that fork's a list of child processes, and keeps their pid's in a list. After the parent finishes it's main business logic, it needs to check which child already finished - and when. Is it possible - using waitpid or any other func\syscall - get this information... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sternr
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Abnormal behaviour of Defuncts

Hi, I am facing problems with defunct processes. The problem is, the defuncts are being created and getting dissappeared by themselves. I have a process that calls some scripts through a specified port, when this scripts starts executing, the defuncts also started to appear(lots and lots, will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reddybs
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting rid of abnormal Characters

ok, so i have no clue why this script i wrote spits out these bizarre characters: i cant even copy and paste those characters on here because it just doesn't show up properly. my question is, using sed, how can i get rid of all characters that aren't normal? echo "abnormal characters" |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting rid of abnormal Characters

i'm grepping for words in the /var/adm/messages (sun solaris). but it looks like while my grepping finds the strings, when it outputs them out, the beginning of some lines are chopped off. Jun 13 14:06:02 sky.net ufs: NOTICE: alloc: /prod: file system full 3 14:39:19 sky.net ufs: NOTICE:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is orphan process handling by Solaris os and Linux os same?

In solaris, orphan process is put to sleep mode and does not consume any CPU resources. In Linux, orphan process is kept in running state consuming all CPU and Ram resources. Is it the case? Is there a difference on how these operating systems will handle orphan processes? The route cause of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Belure Pooja B
10 Replies
system(3S)																system(3S)

NAME
system() - issue a shell command SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
executes the command specified by the string pointed to by command. The environment of the executed command is as if a child process were created using (see fork(2)), and the child process invoked the sh-posix(1) utility via a call to (see exec(2)) as follows: ignores the and signals, and blocks the signal, while waiting for the command to terminate. If this might cause the application to miss a signal that would have killed it, the application should examine the return value from and take whatever action is appropriate to the application if the command terminated due to receipt of a signal. does not affect the termination status of any child of the calling processes other than the process or processes it itself creates. does not return until the child process has terminated. APPLICATION USAGE
If the return value of is not -1, its value can be decoded through the use of the macros described in For convenience, these macros are also provided in Note that, while must ignore and and block while waiting for the child to terminate, the handling of signals in the executed command is as specified by fork(2) and exec(2). For example, if is being caught or is set to when is called, the child is started with handling set to Ignoring and in the parent process prevents coordination problems (such as two processes reading from the same terminal) when the executed command ignores or catches one of the signals. RETURN VALUE
If command is null, returns non-zero. If command is not null, returns the termination status of the command language interpreter in the format specified by wait(2). The termi- nation status of the command language interpreter is as specified for sh-posix(1), except that if some error prevents the command language interpreter from executing after the child process is created, the return value from is as if the command language interpreter had termi- nated using If a child process cannot be created, or if the termination status for the command language interpreter cannot be obtained, returns -1 and sets to indicate the error. DIAGNOSTICS
forks to create a child process which, in turn, in order to execute string. If the fork fails, returns -1 and sets If the exec fails, returns the status value returned by (see wait(2)) for a process that terminates with a call of ERRORS
If errors are encountered, sets values as described by fork(2). FILES
SEE ALSO
sh(1), fork(2), exec(2), wait(2), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
system(3S)